Saw Darjeeling Lmtd (New Wes Anderson)

2»

Comments

• I dig Anderson's movies..but Bottle Rocket was SUCH a let down! HATED IT! So drawn out..i turned the dvd player off before the film was ever over.

U CAN HATE ME NOW! BUT I WONT STOP NOW!

• Agent45Agent45 451 Posts
    bill murray played himself out.
    he should retire.
    Garfield.

(he still rules though)

Michael Caine once said something in an interview to the effect that while he has chosen some acting roles which may be considered questionable, his family has never wanted for anything.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    I saw 'The Graduate' on DVD a couple weeks ago - it had been 10+ years since I had last seen it & this time it really struck me, "this is the movie that Wes Anderson has been trying to make" - the scene where Dustin Hoffman is hanging out at the bottom of the pool during a party? doesn't that happen in 'Rushmore' too?

• CahootsCahoots 378 Posts
    -

• I saw 'The Graduate' on DVD a couple weeks ago - it had been 10+ years since I had last seen it & this time it really struck me, "this is the movie that Wes Anderson has been trying to make" - the scene where Dustin Hoffman is hanging out at the bottom of the pool during a party? doesn't that happen in 'Rushmore' too?

i thought about tha scene from the graduate wen i watched rushmore pretty recently also. Rushmore and life aquatic are a few of my favorite movies, thaey are more of a fill in the blank type movie, waer if u use your imagination it is much fuller

i hope this movie comes to Wisconsaen

"it was the handjob."

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Unbearable whiteness??

http://www.slate.com/id/2174828

- spidey

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    bill murray played himself out.
    he should retire.
    Garfield.

(he still rules though)

Michael Caine once said something in an interview to the effect that while he has chosen some acting roles which may be considered questionable, his family has never wanted for anything.

I think he was talking about "Jaws III - The Revenge", or possibly "The Island". He said something like; "People tell me it's a terrible film. I don't know, I've never seen it. But I have seen the house it paid for, and that is magnificent."

I saw this last night;

It's the debut feature by noted Dutch photographer/music video director Anton Corbijn, and is about Ian Curtis, the Joy Division vocalist who hung himself on the eve of the band's first US tour in March 1980, after a struggle with depression and epilepsy. Rather than being a rock movie, or a Joy Division bio-pic, it concentrates mainly on Curtis' marriage to his childhood sweetheart/widow Deborah (another top drawer performance by the amazing Samantha Morton), and his subsequent affair with Belgian journalist Annik Honore, played by Alexandra Maria Lara. Sam Riley is scarily good as Curtis, and plays him as a doomed Romantic/aspiring aesthete trapped in a too-early marriage and seeing Joy Division as his escape route from a dead end existence in an anonymous North-of-England town in the late 1970s.

The direction and cinematography are very impressive. Corbijn largely keeps the camera still and lets most of the action take place within the frame; a nice change from the ???five-shots-per-second??? sensory overload style of so many movies these days, and it allows the story and the actors to breathe as well. It???s very similar to his photography - high-contrast black and white, and beautifully composed ??? but rather than self-consciously copying the naturalism/social realism of something like Ken Loach???s ???Kes???, a style often closely associated with the parts of England where the story takes place, the movie instead adopts the distinctly Central European aesthetic you might expect from one directed by a Dutchman and shot by a German, reminding me in places of early Bergman or Melville. As somebody who actually saw Joy Division perform three times, I was knocked out by the live sequences. The actors all got it dead-on and, according to Corbijn in the Q&A afterwards, they even learnt to play the songs they performed in the movie. One scene in particular gave me chills. They could go out as a Joy Division tribute band right now, and they???d nail it, no question.

There were definite incongruities about the look of the audience in the live sequences, and in a few places, the minimal dialogue is closer to threadbare, but those are the only real shortcomings. It???s unlikely to get a widespread release, as it???s definitely an arthouse joint. That said, it???s not especially arty. My girl has fairly regular taste in movies, and knows little about Joy Division, but she was completely absorbed by the story, which is well told in itself. It???s worth keeping an eye open for.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    As somebody who actually saw Joy Division perform three times

Bonus points awarded!

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    As somebody who actually saw Joy Division perform three times

Bonus points awarded!

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    highly enjoyable and nice soundtrack

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    SPOILER

One of the main issues I have with Wes' past two movies are the deaths. For some reason, and I don't even know quite how to explain it, they don't seem "earned." It's like somebody in the film dies and the audience is supposed to feel something but I definitely don't feel anything. I am definitely a type of dude who can get a little emo at the movies but Wes' films just take quite make it in that regard. In this latest one, the Indian kid died and then we have this long, drawn-out funeral scene that seems labored and contrived. The same thing with Life Aquatic when Owen Wilson's character dies. It's like he uses a death scene to bring it all home and it ends up seeming like lazy filmmaking.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    SPOILER

In this latest one, the Indian kid died and then we have this long, drawn-out funeral scene that seems labored and contrived. The same thing with Life Aquatic when Owen Wilson's character dies. It's like he uses a death scene to bring it all home and it ends up seeming like lazy filmmaking.

I didn't feel this way at all - it seemed fairly obvious to me that
    the point (or "joke" even) to the whole death sequence was that THIS
    was the spiritual journey these three were after ... they go through
    this entire process, these emotional days of loss and redemption, as
    much a part of the village as the natives when all is said and done -
    and yet they are so self-centered and clueless, that they have no idea
    what they have experienced, and continue trying to contrive spiritual
    happenings, unaware of what they have already gone through. I was fairly
    moved by the death, myself - at least, coming as it does in the middle
    of total screwball comedy.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    I see where you're coming from and can almost agree, but for some reason I expected something like that to happen. Maybe it would have worked better for me if he didn't pull the same trick in his previous movie.