Janet Jackson: "Come Give Your Love To Me"

pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
Before she made bad-woman dance music, she made nice-girl bubblegum."Come Give Your Love To Me," from Janet Jackson's self-titled debut, ca. 1982. This was released as a single in early '83, and sailed directly into the soul Top 20 in Billboard (right behind "Young Love," her first hit out the box). Yes, this is a cheesy new-wave cash-in that has a heavy-metal guitar solo and actually rhymes "fire" with "desire" (my, how original), but holy shit, this is still a pop-soul masterpiece that cannot be denied. The minor-key melody and those glacial-sounding synths (if winter frost could sing...) get me every time. I just downloaded this from iTunes and can't get enough.For some reason, this song doesn't appear on her best-of (nor does anything else from her girl-next-door pop years, pre-1986), but the album it came from is still in print (must be, for me to download it). I'm no Janet Jackson fan, but this song is genius recognized no matter whodunit. Respect. Anybody on the Soul Strut Modern-Soul Fan Club up on this lost classic?

Comments

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    The production and writing credits of the album this track comes from features a few Moder soul heavyweights (Sylvers, the Deco folks, Rene and Angela).

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    Hells yeah

dilla sampled it:

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I'm no Janet Jackson fan, but this song is genius recognized no matter whodunit. Respect. Anybody on the Soul Strut Modern-Soul Fan Club up on this lost classic?

YES. I Got Doubles.

This is some real honest R&B. Rene and Angela produce on side and Leon Sylvers does the other. Some of the other Sylvers do background vocals and play some instruments.

I remember a friend of mine back in high school was reppin this album back her Fame days. Jehovah Witness Soul. Way before she got w/ Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis to make derivative Minneapolis Soul. I cant hate on her Contol era but that first album got some good honest Modern Soul tracks.

Love And My Best Friend - is some good early untainted Janet.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Yes, this is a cheesy new-wave cash-in

"Come Give Your Love to Me" (Glen Barbee, Charmaine Elaine Sylvers)

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts

This record is worth listening to, more than once. Ditto for the Debarge records until Eldra left the group to go solo. Don't get the ones after he left the group. You will regret it. In fact, what happened to the entire Debarge family after Eldra left Debarge is pretty tragic.

I don't really get Chico Debarge's post-prison reinvention as a rapper, but it's been said that I don't understand the mind of contemporary rap music.

Who's Holding Donna Now?
    JRoot