places to be in italy

slavinslavin 577 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
i'm leaving for italy next week and i wanted to see if anyone could recommend some really nice towns to visit.. (aside from the popular ones -- florence, bologna, rome, etc..) i'll be spending a week in a small town with family, but after that i'll have two weeks to visit other cities.i'm not really concerned about WHERE THE DOEP RECORD SPOTS ARE (although that is an added bonus i guess).. basically just places that are cool and train accessible. if anyone has any tips i'd appreciate. thanks..

Comments

• GambleGamble 844 Posts
    if your gonna be around for a while go to Sienna and see the august Palio. Incredible horse race in the Piazza. Amazing.

• I for one found it pretty tough to find decent record stores in Italy, even in the big cities, but maybe I'm off the mark.

I would try and work out where the big jazz fests are - I think the Umbria region has one. If you're down south, I'd get the ferry across to Sicily. No wax that I could find but it's pretty incredible, hot coastline, amazing scenery, ancient roman temples, the whole nine. Cheap food too.

ciao,
    J

• PEKPEK 735 Posts
    i'm leaving for italy next week and i wanted to see if anyone could recommend some really nice towns to visit.. (aside from the popular ones -- florence, bologna, rome, etc..) i'll be spending a week in a small town with family, but after that i'll have two weeks to visit other cities.

i'm not really concerned about WHERE THE DOEP RECORD SPOTS ARE (although that is an added bonus i guess).. basically just places that are cool and train accessible. if anyone has any tips i'd appreciate. thanks..

Cinque Terre - http://goeurope.about.com/od/cinqueterrehiking/ss/cinque_hiking.htm

Italian Alps - http://honeymoons.about.com/cs/italy/a/italianalps.htm
    Maybe the most stunning vistas anywhere in Italy...

• slavinslavin 577 Posts

Cinque Terre - http://goeurope.about.com/od/cinqueterrehiking/ss/cinque_hiking.htm

Italian Alps - http://honeymoons.about.com/cs/italy/a/italianalps.htm
    Maybe the most stunning vistas anywhere in Italy...

yup. definitely have cinque terre on the agenda.. we were also thinking about going to stresa (an hour northwest of milan i think). i guess that would be considered part of the italian alps.

• Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts

stay home, Italy sucks.

• slavinslavin 577 Posts

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    I would recomend visiting the south of italy, calabria en campania. It's less touristy (allthough that might be a tough call in july), cheaper and I reckon more authentic.

If Italy was a record, the south would be the RAER-part.

Umbria is also great. Its basically the same as Toscane minus the tourists en minus the coast. And stunningly beautiful.

Eat some truffle-food in Norcia, go shopping in Perugia, get religious in Assisi. And eat sausages everywhere you can.

If Italy was music, umbria would be smooth-jazz.

I found cinque terre crowded and overrated.

• PEKPEK 735 Posts

I found cinque terre crowded and overrated.

I could vouch for this - it's become increasingly moreso although the hike b/w towns is still a good experience... My vote still goes for the Lake Como region in the north (Stresa and anythin' north of Milan Slavin works); just takin' the train alone through that area is spellbindin' as the mountains crest and lakes below house islands w/ medieval buildings...

Man I was kidding ........why don't you come in Pescara ? we could meet ......

the city has the beach, and it's on the east cost, just 3 hours far from Rimini...

and 3 hours far from Rome........

it's very easy to reach

you could come just for 1 day, and we could have an icecream together

here is where I live

• slavinslavin 577 Posts
    woah.. nice!

i'll be right near isernia during my first week in italy.. are you familiar with this town? looks like it's not too far of a train ride to pescara.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    we could have an icecream

AAAAAAYOOOOOOOO!

ed, you just got cruised.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    if your gonna be around for a while go to Sienna and see the august Palio. Incredible horse race in the Piazza. Amazing.

ditto. even if not there in august. such a beautiful city, completely chill, less touristy than others in the region (i.e. florence). nothing but beautiful memories of going there with an old girl when i was a young(er) man.

we could have an icecream

AAAAAAYOOOOOOOO!

ed, you just got cruised.

thanks to that Al Pacino movie, I KNOW it's some slang for ,

power to William Friedkin !

but don't worry bro, I'm not homosexual so we could take a walk on the beach and chase "buns" , while tasting very good icecream I know in my city

woah.. nice!

i'll be right near isernia during my first week in italy.. are you familiar with this town? looks like it's not too far of a train ride to pescara.

you can see the distance in this map...the 2 cities are near......

• PEKPEK 735 Posts
    to William Friedkin !
    but don't worry bro, I'm not homosexual so we could take a walk on the beach and chase "buns" , while tasting very good icecream I know in my city

There's nothin' like authentic gelato - people from Paris wanna talk to you about Berthillon? Second rate next to Rome's Giolitti's... Had some good gelato in Napoli and Firenze too... So if I'm headin' to Italy, gelato is definitely on food itinerary...