Different versions of "Gimme Shelter"? Am I crazy?

WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
edited September 2007 in Strut Central
Was watching The Departed last night - and I swear the version of Gimme Shelter that they play in it has a longer intro with just the guitar and the "ooooooo" going on. Am I crazy? Is there a different edit to this? And if so - does anyone have it?

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Was watching The Departed last night - and I swear the version of Gimme Shelter that they play in it has a longer intro with just the guitar and the "ooooooo" going on. Am I crazy? Is there a different edit to this? And if so - does anyone have it?

45 and lp? Is there a movie soundtrack, because that might be longer? I'm guessing John Book knows. Are we talking about the Rolling Stones? Who is he dueting with anyway? Merry Clayton? Didn't she do her own version? Or is it Claudia Lenner? I hope this answers your question.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    marty already used that track before inna another movie
    he must really like it
    i saw the movie but I don't remember the edit
    sounds like an extension

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    I dunnoo - I could be buggin - but something sounds mad different. It is Merry Clayton singin - I'm not sure if she did her own cover though. Grand Funk Railroad version is kinda blowy.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Merry Clayton did her own version, it's on LP & 45. Great version, I think I included it on my female soul mix a couple years ago.