WEEKEND FINDS/STEALS/COME UPS 9/29-9/30

kalakala 3,361 Posts
edited September 2007 in Strut Central
A few firsts for mesealed FANIA-never before have I found ANY FANIA sealed-too bad its just an ok title[willie colon presents Ruben Blades] and the cleanest unplayed copy of acid I have ever found-no spindle marks or any signs of play-to bad its the stereo versionbut i am not complainingpsredundo/redorko=my serf/son-eat em and smile! Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Comments

• All I found this weekend is

James Brown - Its a New Day So Let a Man Come in and Do the Popcorn
    Rufus Thomas - Do the Funky Chicken
    and Stanley Cowell's Waiting for the Moment

and I found this at a thrift store

with no record inside

• alright, so by now the rest of the country has seen these, yes?

right. well i shit you not but i was at a swap meet this morning and saw the first TORTA MANNEQUIN[/b]. that was well worth the fact that i didnt find any records.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts

Shaft is ok for a thrift store find, a couple of good tracks. Sammy Davis with the version of Shaft & a couple other ok tracks. A sixties dance craze record with some rocking versions of some songs, by the Teemates! Four Tops is a one sider, thanks also to Kathy Konkel for writing her name in sharpie on every record she ever owned it would seem. Detroit City Limits is a white label promo on OKeh, cool soul instrumental LP that I've never seen before, probably my best find of the morning. Patterson Singers is good, raw gospel, tidy original on Vee Jay, some of the voices could strip paint off a wall. Cool.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

with no record inside

Great LP....sucks that the disc was missing.

These were in the dollar bin today...

• Big blurry pictures are a waste of bytes.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    Big blurry pictures are a waste of bytes.

dicklickinquisitive hiku

jealous toys
    with no weekend finds to post
    bitch and moan
    like pre pubescent girls

• Go to Nobody Beats The Wiz and buy a fucking working camera. Then I'll show you my finds.

• kkkidinquisdicktative, show some fucking respeckt...

god, i'm bored of kala.

(cue predictable searing rant; or, even better, i don't waste my time on toys like you...yawhhhn.)

Well, here's a depressing story that I can't believe just happened. This morning when I was digging for the cheap records I bought & posted above, there were 3 copies of this disco 12". I listened to one of them & put it back because I'm not really much of a disco fan. The vinyl on all 3 was Excellent to Mint. All the plain white sleeves had that flaming 'Kathy Konkel' written on them in ballpoint pen & at least one had it on the label too, although the one I listened to in store had a clean label (I think). I thought it was funny that this Kathy Konkel person had 3 copies of the same 12". Anyways, I went home & posted my other finds & on a whim popsiked the 12". There were two copies on popsike, one VG+ for $195 & a mint still sealed for $225. I waited for a friend to come pick up a book I had borrowed, then jumped in my car & drove back to the store as fast as I could. I had that excited feeling that my day was about to get instantly better because for sure no one would be up on these records here in Auckland. Alas, my rent for the next couple of weeks was not to be made & my chance to find rare records that suck so I would actually want to sell them went wanting. I searched & searched but in the space of 2 hours 2 of the 3 copies had already been bought.
    So now I am left kicking myself & staring at the lone (Excellent condition except for the name on label - both sides - fuck) copy I managed to buy.
    Mistakes made, lessons learned, I'm gonna stop kicking myself & get over it now.

Board Of Directors ft.KC Stewart - Happy/Hanging Tough - Record Symphony Co - Brooklyn 1978.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts

Board Of Directors ft.KC Stewart - Happy/Hanging Tough - Record Symphony Co - Brooklyn 1978.
    Plaese to copy and post audio.

And not a disco fan??? Tsk tsk!!!

Plaese to copy and post audio.

And not a disco fan??? Tsk tsk!!!
    I'm in the process of moving house so if I remember I'll rip & post late next week after I unpack. Disco/modern/boogie is most definitely not my thing, maybe I should start reading up on collectables though, this could have been my one chance at mining disco gold though....

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Well, here's a depressing story that I can't believe just happened. This morning when I was digging for the cheap records I bought & posted above, there were 3 copies of this disco 12". I listened to one of them & put it back because I'm not really much of a disco fan. The vinyl on all 3 was Excellent to Mint. All the plain white sleeves had that flaming 'Kathy Konkel' written on them in ballpoint pen & at least one had it on the label too, although the one I listened to in store had a clean label (I think). I thought it was funny that this Kathy Konkel person had 3 copies of the same 12". Anyways, I went home & posted my other finds & on a whim popsiked the 12". There were two copies on popsike, one VG+ for $195 & a mint still sealed for $225. I waited for a friend to come pick up a book I had borrowed, then jumped in my car & drove back to the store as fast as I could. I had that excited feeling that my day was about to get instantly better because for sure no one would be up on these records here in Auckland. Alas, my rent for the next couple of weeks was not to be made & my chance to find rare records that suck so I would actually want to sell them went wanting. I searched & searched but in the space of 2 hours 2 of the 3 copies had already been bought.

Damn! The whole time I was reading this, I was POSITIVE that it was
    going to turn out that KATHY KONKEL was the artist! And at one point
    I thought you were going to say that the 2 copies on popsike had
    KATHY KONKEL written on their sleeves, too

• Big blurry pictures are a waste of bytes.

I would post some pics of my finds, but Im tired after driving 7 hours today driving back from DJing with Neville C on a Van Halen sized PA and making 18 year old girls flip out to Polish freakbeat and Bollywood jernts, and digging in Indiana and dont feel like taking pictures of The Wailers "Everywhere" and "Out of our Tree" Mono LPs, that ghey soft psych bullshit record "Kites Are Fun", Mint Maggot Brain, Mint Stax/Volt Revue, T Rex Peel Session, Lulu "New Routes", some Seeds 45s, Flirtations "Nothing But a Heartache", among others....only to come home and find that my girl cleaned my office/record room and organized my closet, what a sweetie...a good weekend!

Damn! The whole time I was reading this, I was POSITIVE that it was
    going to turn out that KATHY KONKEL was the artist! And at one point
    I thought you were going to say that the 2 copies on popsike had
    KATHY KONKEL written on their sleeves, too
    That would have been cool either way

I would post some pics of my finds, but Im tired after driving 7 hours today driving back from DJing with Neville C on a Van Halen sized PA and making 18 year old girls flip out to Polish freakbeat and Bollywood jernts, and digging in Indiana and dont feel like taking pictures of The Wailers "Everywhere" and "Out of our Tree" Mono LPs, that ghey soft psych bullshit record "Kites Are Fun", Mint Maggot Brain, Mint Stax/Volt Revue, T Rex Peel Session, Lulu "New Routes", some Seeds 45s, Flirtations "Nothing But a Heartache", among others....only to come home and find that my girl cleaned my office/record room and organized my closet, what a sweetie...a good weekend!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

It's actually taken years to find a clean copy of the Persuaders.
    "File copy"
    Got the NM JB's at a spot that never ever has records. I should
    know, I used to work there. But a rift in space allowed a clean JB's
    and Nard/Pleasure to appear in their neverchanging bins, and cheep.
    The Womack and Titan comp were cheap innernet grabs. "The Womack Live"
    was recommended by my man P_Gunn, and lived up to the hype. Belongs
    up there with the many great live 60's soul albums. He absolutely
    kills it on a few tracks. Great small-club feel, too, like the Curtis &
    Etta James live albums. Easy to find cheap. Titan is a 1980 midwest power
    pop label collection. According to Rockadelic, this label is getting a TNG
    comp released soon. I can see why, there are some great songs on there.

Tangerine Zoo is VG- but a decent player copy of some raer psych.
    Ed Sanders is a pretty scarce one, too.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    pulled this from a $bin friday, great record, pleasantly surprised, fairly straight ahead fuzzy beat instrumentals in a arranged/produced fasion, energetic, psychy organ and surf guitar on a heavy rhythm section.

• ok ... not really 'finds' but i got these in the post and im pretty chuffed -- the HALINA FRACKOWIAK LP is a late birthday present from my mum that she picked up in poland 6 months ago and kept quiet about. cheeky cow.

the 7" is COUNT FIVE - "psychotic reaction" has a warp but seems to play fine --- for ??2 im not really bothered. great tune.

• cheeky cow.

wow. i definitely gotta work that into my regular vocabulary.
    that and "jealous little monkey"

i dint come up on much...some dollar joints a byron lee id never seen before (ram jam, slow run, groovyfeeling, soul day....promising titles?)

and a record called A Child's Cry: a clue to diagnosis...a semi creepy looking sounds record put out by a penicilin company. one track: The Cat-like-cry of cri-du-chat or cat-cry-syndrome. another: the high pitched cry of a child with hydranencephaly. i'm kindof scared to listen to this.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

redundo/redorko=my serf/son-eat em and smile!

I don't think Rey is exactly paralyzed with jealousy over most of these.

redundo/redorko=my serf/son-eat em and smile!

I don't think Rey is exactly paralyzed with jealousy over most of these.

Nah..... but he had to squint like a mofo.

• managed to make it down to the Bristol record fait with a huge hangover at 3pm.... most sellers had gone but got a few bits ive been after. no mega bargains -- but no rip offs either!! got given the HP LOVECRAFT lp free by a mate's boyfriend... savage!!

glad to finally get a copy of the first soft machine LP with turning dial thingy...

the 7's are:
    JOHNNY & THE HURRICANES - "rocking goose" (ace)
    GEORGIE FAME - "try my world"
    GEORGIE FAME - "get away"
    ALICE COOPER - "working up a sweat"
    CLASH - "radio clash"

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    A couple keepers finally, it's been super dry on the reggae tip.

But my stock for the Night Owl is starting to shape up and will include all these:

• Here's my contribution to the "blurry latin finds" thread. $23 total at the flea market today. I passed on multiple mismatched and/or rinked Eddie Palmieri & Willie Colon joints in the same box. Brasilian Beat (one song reished on 45 by Jazzman) & Luis Enrique are sealed.

• the mailbox was on this weekend (Betty and Bobby were real world finds):

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    Mine aren't heavy raer, but they were 5 blocks from my house. I picked up 46 records from that garage sale for a $1 each and most of them value at about $10-$50 each. I'm happy. I picked up the blind faith just for the banned Kiddie Pron. The NRBQ is signed by all members. I got the photo for free and it is mounted on foam core.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    What the hell is that "Sid" "Barret" record??

What the hell is that "Sid" "Barret" record??

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    Bootleg with incorrect spelling. Pretty good Psych.