Look what i borrowed from work!!!

pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
edited September 2007 in Strut Central
two Neumann u-87's. I had a recording tonight of a philharmonic show and am borrowing these for the night.I have to bring em back by monday but man are these things nice. Been recording guitar, vocals, weird percussive instruments (guiro shakers etc..) and shit is just so warm and present. I use them a lot but normally its an x-y config on a group as a whole. Which is cool an all but tonights the first time im multitracking with them and just experimenting in my studio. Little trivia on this pair right here though. These mics were used to record Miles Davis, Dave Brubeck, Ron Carter, and tons of jazz, blue grass, symphonies, and many more on the east coast and any national act that swung through here. Sorry for getting my little dude on but these things get me gassed.

Comments

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Yeah they really are truly amazing to work with. Wait till you hear a modified one, then you will really shit your pants.

If you ever get a chance, try hearing the U49 tube mics - they're gigantic but oh so good for loud instruments, they "self-compress" when you use them as overheads on drums.

• I hope youre giving them a pre that they deserve

I wouldnt mind having to babysit those over the weekend myself.
    Those classic joints (not the recent ai's) are mad expensive and many engineers and studios try and cop the classic 87s and have recapped by neumann and/or private technicians.
    What really interests me though are the mods for u87. There seems to be quite a market in the studioworld for people fucking around with the guts of these babies to cut a little more highend or whatever.

Btw, what do you do for a living? Sounds like real fun if you get to record orchestras!

• I hope youre giving them a pre that they deserve

I wouldnt mind having to babysit those over the weekend myself.
    Those classic joints (not the recent ai's) are mad expensive and many engineers and studios try and cop the classic 87s and have recapped by neumann and/or private technicians.
    What really interests me though are the mods for u87. There seems to be quite a market in the studioworld for people fucking around with the guts of these babies to cut a little more highend or whatever.

Btw, what do you do for a living? Sounds like real fun if you get to record orchestras!

well i actually dont have any real nice pres. Im running it through a focusrite saffire, which has the old mbox pres, and it sounds pretty decent.

I work for NPR part time and have to do on location recording, remote broadcasts, and other various studio work for them. i have to do all the editing after I record for broadcast and i do promos.

Its a great job, but i only work like maybe 16 hours a week doing it. But learned countless amounts of info and get to use a lot of vintage equipment so its cool with me.