Songs I like (from actual records)

Egbert_SouseEgbert_Souse 920 Posts
edited September 2007 in Strut Central
Harold Betters - Do Anything You WannaThis is seriously one of my favorite 45s. Its so... swanky?more in a few minutes....

Comments

• Another favorite of mine - J. Gardner "Mustard Greens".

I don't even know what you call this kind of music. Soul? Jazz? Not really either of those... but it swings hard. this is drinking music. maybe it is jazz... I don't know but it kicks ass. I need more music like this.

seriously the longer the song goes on the better it gets....

• Kai Winding records are everywhere. They are pretty easy to disregard, but he does have some swanky joints out there. Again, I don't really know what this type of music is. I just call it lounge but its more that that... its got a groove to it... groovy lounge? soul lounge? hahaha. whatever, this song is called "Mohair Sam" and its the shit.

• I buy covers of caravan. most of the anyways. most of them are pretty decent, some of them suck, and some of them kick all sorts of ass. this version by Les Elgart is like a "spy music" take on it with some surf guitar and woodwinds and drama and shit. Its dope.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts

• This song is all sorts of stupid. I love it.

Chuey Reyes - Jack Jack

• what is that? crack?

I said in another thread I didn't think most people would be into the shit that I like, but fuck it, I'm posting some shit up!

• And now for the real test. Ray fucking Conniff. I'm gonna call this HARD LOUNGE, because you probably have to have a sick sense of humor to dig it, but I love it. Its over the top corny, silly, and fucking awesome. I mean, you have to accept this shit for what it is I guess.

• This might be more "soulstrut" materials. bongoes, hand claps, funky piano and organ, people yelling in the background. a nice midtempo groover. goes well with adjusting your hat in the mirror and a scotch on the rocks.

The Packers - Hole In The Wall

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I buy covers of caravan.

Recent favorite versions of "Caravan"...

The Fendermen (of "Mule Skinner Blues" fame)

and

Billy Eckstine (from "Everything I have Is Yours - the MGM Years")

as for "A Hole In the Wall" -
    The Packers were started by Packy Axton, son of the owner
    of Stax Records, and founding member of the Mar-Keys ... he
    left/was forced out of that band while on tour, and started
    The Packers, landing a Top Ten hit on their first time out,
    which really kind of stuck it to the Mar-Keys in a way.
    The Packers have 2 albums, both of them are decent early
    R&B instro collections ...

• I buy covers of caravan.

Recent favorite versions of "Caravan"...

The Fendermen (of "Mule Skinner Blues" fame)

and

Billy Eckstine (from "Everything I have Is Yours - the MGM Years")

as for "A Hole In the Wall" -
    The Packers were started by Packy Axton, son of the owner
    of Stax Records, and founding member of the Mar-Keys ... he
    left/was forced out of that band while on tour, and started
    The Packers, landing a Top Ten hit on their first time out,
    which really kind of stuck it to the Mar-Keys in a way.
    The Packers have 2 albums, both of them are decent early
    R&B instro collections ...

damn, I didn't know that...

thanks!

• And now here is a minute and a half or so of breaks all thrown together in no order at all.

• this is drinking music.

Ah, just the way I like it! Thanks for posting these, a refreshing change of pace.

• This might be more "soulstrut" materials. bongoes, hand claps, funky piano and organ, people yelling in the background. a nice midtempo groover. goes well with adjusting your hat in the mirror and a scotch on the rocks.

The Packers - Hole In The Wall

That song has a crazy history....