Soundtracks that make you want to see the movie

m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
edited September 2007 in Strut Central
I like to listen to soundtracks. Often I find myself making my own mind garden images to the music, and I wonder about what the original context for the music was. I like movies with strong soundtracks, so I'm always curious to see if the images live up to the music.Pink Floyd - "Obscured By Clouds" (for "La Vall??e"). The story looks interesting. It's probably just some back-to-nature trippy nonsense, but Barbet Schroeder also directed "More", which I enjoyed.Miles Davis - "Acenseur Pour L'Echafaud". I'm ashamed to say I am not not that familiar with Louis Malle's catalogue, but I'd like to see some of his movies. Miles' fantastic music for this one made me even more curious.I don't have the original ($$), but I have it on this cheapo twofer on Mercury with Art Blakey's music for Edouard Molinaro's "Des Femmes Disparaissent" on the other side. That's another one I'd like to see.Johnny Dankworth's soundtrack for "The Penthouse" also has me curious to see it. The music is good, but the dialogue snippets are another teaser, especially Tony Beckley's alligator speech, which I've listened to countless times over the years. It's funny, everytime "Dance" comes on I think I've got the record on 45 by accident. Something about it sounds sped up.I still want to see "Barbarella" (yeah, late pass) because I like that OST and silly 60s sci-fi exploito flicks in general. Young Jane Fonda in tight outfits can't hurt either .Hearing some of Jon Brion's music for "Punch Drunk Love" made me go see it.What's are your music-related want-to-see's?

Comments

• LES GANTS BLANCS DU DIABLE
    Movie seems ultra rare, a dude is selling the VHS for 100$ on ebay

LE MARIAGE COLLECTIF
    idem!

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    LES GANTS BLANCS DU DIABLE
    Movie seems ultra rare, a dude is selling the VHS for 100$ on ebay

LE MARIAGE COLLECTIF
    idem!

Please elaborate on these movies + the music. I dont know them. According to imdb.com the latter is Danish, and I think I might have seen it on TV a long time ago here, but I'm not sure.

• I've seen it, but I heard the soundtrack first.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    That Booker T appreesh thread made me pull the "Up Tight!" soundtrack out again. Has anyone seen this one? Directed by Jules Dassin, featuring featuring solid actors like Ruby Dee and Roscoe Lee Brown - can't be all bad.