Barry Bonds calls Mark Ecko an "Idiot"

SouthCrackalackSouthCrackalack 3,853 Posts
edited September 2007 in Strut Central
Wow, somehow I had not heard about Mark Ecko buying the ball...Blast that fucker to OUTER SPACE!SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- Barry Bonds said the man who bought his 756th home run ball and announced plans to let the public decide its fate is an "idiot."Fashion designer Marc Ecko had the winning bid Saturday in the online auction for the ball that Bonds hit last month to break Hank Aaron's record of 755 home runs. The final selling price was $752,467, well above most predictions.ADVERTISEMENTEcko, 35, has set up a Web site that lets visitors vote on three options for the ball: give it to the National Baseball Hall of Fame, brand it with an asterisk before sending it to Cooperstown or blast it into space on a rocket ship.The asterisk would suggest that Bonds' record is tainted by alleged steroid use. The Giants slugger has denied knowingly using performance-enhancing drugs."All of those options don't weigh anything," Bonds told the San Francisco Chronicle on Tuesday night in Phoenix. "In baseball, that number (756) stands."Bonds said Ecko could have found a better way to spend three-quarters of a million dollars."He's stupid. He's an idiot," Bonds said. "He spent $750,000 on the ball and that's what he's doing with it? What he's doing is stupid."Ecko did not directly respond to Bonds' comments Wednesday, but said in a statement he would make Bonds a custom T-shirt that says, "Marc Ecko paid $752,467 for my ball, and all I got was this 'stupid' T-shirt."'Ecko plans to announce what he will do with No. 756 after voting ends Sept. 25.Ben Padnos, the California entrepreneur who submitted the $186,750 winning bid on Bonds' record-tying 755th home run ball, said Tuesday he also plans to have the public vote on what to do with it. http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-b...p&type=lgns

Comments

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    brand it with an asterisk before sending it to Cooperstown

Apparently, this was the winner.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    At Cooperstown, display it asterisk down.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

Word.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts

he might brand it in two or three locations to avoid this from happening.

• Ecko did not directly respond to Bonds' comments Wednesday, but said in a statement he would make Bonds a custom T-shirt that says, "Marc Ecko paid $752,467 for my ball, and all I got was this 'stupid' T-shirt."'

brilliant!

• Ecko did not directly respond to Bonds' comments Wednesday, but said in a statement he would make Bonds a custom T-shirt that says, "Marc Ecko paid $752,467 for my ball, and all I got was this 'stupid' T-shirt."'

brilliant!

right but would not this shirt also draw attention to Ecko's inane waste of $752,467 of his own money? I think the joke is ultimately on him. he's a nobody compared to Barry Bonds.

• tell Mark to show the failed test that warrants the ball being asterisked in the first place OR SHUT THE FUCK UP.

brilliant!

right but would not this shirt also draw attention to Ecko's inane waste of $752,467 of his own money? I think the joke is ultimately on him. he's a nobody compared to Barry Bonds.

Yeah but he's a nobody who can afford to blow close to a million dollars on the biggest ZING in baseball history

brilliant!

Yeah but he's a nobody who can afford to blow close to a million dollars on the biggest ZING in baseball history

the truth is I would have MORE respect for assclown Ecko if he had merely branded the ball himself and donated it to Cooperstown. At least that way he would be acting honestly. I mean is there any doubt how he feels about Bonds' record? Not really. If he appreciated Bonds and Bonds' record he would never have allowed it to be branded at all.

Instead he pulls this BS stunt, so that he can always say "who me? no, I let the people decide!" right dude. as if it's not abundantly clear to anyone with eyes that Bonds haters outnumber Bonds appreciators. foregone conclusion.

and why should the fate of this artifact be democratically decided at all? (I do not suggest here that an internet poll is deomocratic, which it isn't, but clearly that's the BS image that Ecko was trying to put forth). dude records are made by players, not by popular vote. do we decide who should go to the superbowl by online poll? no, the best teams go. this idea that Bonds' ball was somehow "public domain" to be decided on by the public is bullshit.

all in all a cowardly move by Ecko, who clearly hates on Bonds but who prefers to hide behind the flimsy veneer of legitimacy granted to his actions by a dubious online poll.

shitbird.

brilliant!

true, but its his money to waste as he wishes. and if it went for that much money, it means someone else was interested in wasting stupid money on a silly ball too. though i would side with you that its a completely ridiculous waste of money and almost nobody knows who marc ecko is - comparibly.

• Yeah but he's a nobody who can afford to blow close to a million dollars on the biggest ZING in baseball history

• tell Mark to show the failed test that warrants the ball being asterisked in the first place OR SHUT THE FUCK UP.

why do we need something as insignificant as proof when we all KNOW that he took 'roids just by looking at that big ol' coconut head of his?

• The proof is in the noggin'.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

Tour De France

MLB

NFL

NBA

Cheating Is Ok As Long As They Can't PROVE It.

And in the NFL....when you prove it, the league destroys the evidence!!!

• C.R.E.A.M.

brilliant!

the truth is I would have MORE respect for assclown Ecko if he had merely branded the ball himself and donated it to Cooperstown. At least that way he would be acting honestly. I mean is there any doubt how he feels about Bonds' record? Not really. If he appreciated Bonds and Bonds' record he would never have allowed it to be branded at all.

Instead he pulls this BS stunt, so that he can always say "who me? no, I let the people decide!" right dude. as if it's not abundantly clear to anyone with eyes that Bonds haters outnumber Bonds appreciators. foregone conclusion.

and why should the fate of this artifact be democratically decided at all? (I do not suggest here that an internet poll is deomocratic, which it isn't, but clearly that's the BS image that Ecko was trying to put forth). dude records are made by players, not by popular vote. do we decide who should go to the superbowl by online poll? no, the best teams go. this idea that Bonds' ball was somehow "public domain" to be decided on by the public is bullshit.

all in all a cowardly move by Ecko, who clearly hates on Bonds but who prefers to hide behind the flimsy veneer of legitimacy granted to his actions by a dubious online poll.

shitbird.

In the end the T-Shirt is the ZING.. You have to admit... Ecko came

Bonds has been a notourious prick to almost ever team he played on. Can he hit homers.. yeah.. is he an asshole that used steriods to break a legend's record?... YEAH.

Truth is.. I'm surprised Bonds didn't out bid everyone. Selfish mo fucker

• Truth is.. I'm surprised Bonds didn't out bid everyone. Selfish mo fucker

selfish? well you said it yourself he didn't bother bidding on it himself, when we know he has the scrillah to do so.

I'd say letting this Ecko clown have it is a zing in itself. we all know he could have taken it off the market by buying it himself. instead he said "fuck it let these fools haggle over the ball that I made famous; my legacy is secure; I don't need these toys' approval anyway."

• I don't need these toys' approval anyway."

But he needs the Hall voters' approval.

• Truth is.. I'm surprised Bonds didn't out bid everyone. Selfish mo fucker

selfish? well you said it yourself he didn't bother bidding on it himself, when we know he has the scrillah to do so.

I'd say letting this Ecko clown have it is a zing in itself. we all know he could have taken it off the market by buying it himself. instead he said "fuck it let these fools haggle over the ball that I made famous; my legacy is secure; I don't need these toys' approval anyway."

I guess...

Do you believe that Bonds used steriods to increase his hitting strength?

• Options
    Ecko did not directly respond to Bonds' comments Wednesday, but said in a statement he would make Bonds a custom T-shirt that says, "Marc Ecko paid $752,467 for my ball, and all I got was this 'stupid' T-shirt."'

brilliant!

I wouldn't exactly call it an inane waste of money, he's getting ridiculous publicity off of it. Good marketing move if you ask me. Bet he cakes out on the deal.

The 5 dollar t-shirt Bonds is talking about is more of a waste of money, that's just not funny at all. The "...all i got was this t-shirt" joke is some Key West tourist shit. He should've hired a writer, and if he did he should fire them.

brilliant!

I wouldn't exactly call it an inane waste of money, he's getting ridiculous publicity off of it. Good marketing move if you ask me. Bet he cakes out on the deal.

The 5 dollar t-shirt Bonds is talking about is more of a waste of money, that's just not funny at all. The "...all i got was this t-shirt" joke is some Key West tourist shit. He should've hired a writer, and if he did he should fire them.

Yeah, but in this isntance..it's a joke that everyone and their grandma knows. So it's not going to be going over any dumbasses heads. Cheesy..sure..but effective.

• The 5 dollar t-shirt Bonds is talking about is more of a waste of money, that's just not funny at all. The "...all i got was this t-shirt" joke is some Key West tourist shit. He should've hired a writer, and if he did he should fire them.

Ecko did not directly respond to Bonds' comments Wednesday, but said in a statement he would make Bonds a custom T-shirt that says, "Marc Ecko paid $752,467 for my ball, and all I got was this 'stupid' T-shirt."'

I think you missed the joke...

• Options

Yeah I sure did, missed it by a mile. Completely twisted that paragraph around. Thanks for the heads up.

I still don't think Ecko wasted his money though.

• covecove 1,566 Posts

Tour De France

MLB

NFL

NBA

Cheating Is Ok As Long As They Can't PROVE It.

And in the NFL....when you prove it, the league destroys the evidence!!!

PAGING SoulOnIce!!!!

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

• The 5 dollar t-shirt Bonds is talking about is more of a waste of money, that's just not funny at all. The "...all i got was this t-shirt" joke is some Key West tourist shit. He should've hired a writer, and if he did he should fire them.

Yeah I sure did, missed it by a mile. Completely twisted that paragraph around. Thanks for the heads up.

I still don't think Ecko wasted his money though.

• Yeah but he's a nobody who can afford to blow close to a million dollars on the biggest ZING in baseball history

if you agree that this was intended to be a ZING (i.e. Ecko never anticipated for the ball not to be branded with the asterisk), then why didn't he man up and do it himself?

the fact that you guys are riding for Ecko clearly stems more from Bonds hattery than from any kind of sober assessment of this dude's cowardly stunt.

• Options

Truth is.. I'm surprised Bonds didn't out bid everyone. Selfish mo fucker

Wow, he said that to you? I just figured he was cheap, but what the fuck do I know I can't even read paragraphs correctly. What else did Bonds tell you?

And how did he "let Ecko have it"? Bonds wasn't selling the ball, you think he knew Ecko was bidding on it and what his plans were?

• you can't even read paragraphs correctly.