How many continents are there?

hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
edited September 2007 in Strut Central
I guess it depends on where you're from.This topic came up in my office recently (I work for a Peruvian company), and all the Peruvians said, "Six!" Seems they count North and South America as simply "America." And they call Australia (the continent) "Oceania," which was a new one to me.And not surprisingly, everyone gets hung up on Central America. Where does that begin and end? Panama Canal? Is it North or South America? Are there eight continents? The mind fairly reels.So...how many continents are there where you live?

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Seven?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Seven.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Don't forget the sunken ones...Atlantis and Mu.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,890 Posts

This was covered recently

• 5-7

no doubt about Australia, Africa & Antarctica

Eurasia - possible split between Europe and Asia

America - possible split between North and South America

final result depends on the definition. for example, historical approaches will usually split Eurasia.

• According to the 6th grade social studies knowledge that is trapped somewhere in my brain, North America ends at the bottom of Mexico. Central America is considered part of South America. There are 7 continents.

All of this is highly debatable, though, as the american school books are printed by Lizardmen and are not to be trusted.

• This was covered recently

HILARIOUS!!

• damn hogg I'm sure your co-workers are swell guys and all...but what kind of ignorant shit is this? is there seriously a debate as to whether N and S America constitute 1 or 2 continents?

• damn hogg I'm sure your co-workers are swell guys and all...but what kind of ignorant shit is this? is there seriously a debate as to whether N and S America constitute 1 or 2 continents?

Yes, there is a debate. If you google info on the continents and you search in Spanish, you'll find a lot of people who believe that there are 6 continents, with North/South America listed simply as "AMERICA."

Which is why it's offensive when an American speaking Spanish (raer, I know) identifies as "un Americano." The proper term is estadounidense ("UnitedStatesian").

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Eurasia

GTFOHWTB

Yes, there is a debate. If you google info on the continents and you search in Spanish, you'll find a lot of people who believe that there are 6 continents, with North/South America listed simply as "AMERICA."

Which is why it's offensive when an American speaking Spanish (raer, I know) identifies as "un Americano." The proper term is estadounidense ("UnitedStatesian").

having traveled in Latin America I am well aware of the offense a lot of Latin Americans take when they hear us refer to ourselves as "American."

but their attitude would seem to stem from (or vice versa) the idea that there are two separate continents, no? I don't get it.

• I fucks with PANGEA.

• Eurasia

GTFOHWTB

WTF

• having traveled in Latin America I am well aware of the offense a lot of Latin Americans take when they hear us refer to ourselves as "American."

but their attitude would seem to stem from (or vice versa) the idea that there are two separate continents, no? I don't get it.

No; the people I work with consider themselves to be American. Because they are from the continent of America, which extends from Alaska to Argentina.

I'm a 7-continents kinda guy myself, but I'm still waiting for JLR to weigh in.

And whatcha know 'bout Oceania?

• And whatcha know 'bout Oceania?

This bit suprised me the most when i read your initial post, i assumed everyone knew the term Oceania, maybe it's just another US/UK thing and they don't use that term over there, who knows...

• I fucks with PANGEA.

It's all about GONDWANALAND batches!

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    And whatcha know 'bout Oceania?

This bit suprised me the most when i read your initial post, i assumed everyone knew the term Oceania, maybe it's just another US/UK thing and they don't use that term over there, who knows...

Yep, calling that entire area Australia is NAGL. But I think the confusion comes with the fact that Australia, on its own, is the world's smallest continent, and the surounnding lands get lumped in with it.

• "We're all from Africa" - Tre

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I'm pretty sure my mom said that she had been taught that there were 6 continents - I mean what the hell is the justification for splitting up Europe and Asia anyway - other than the obvious - as its clearly one continuous swath of land??