Ahmadinejad speech in NY

GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
edited September 2007 in Strut Central
anyone watching this?I'm hoping for some flip out moments, but even without its interesting to hear the thoughts of a madman

Comments

• If he had been allowed down to ground zero, I would've given serious thought to making my own way there with a bag of rocks.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    he just tried to explain why the holocaust was a myth.

this is really helping me take my mind off my own issues

sometimes its good to hate

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Any place to see this online??

• he just tried to explain why the holocaust was a myth.

Supporters of Israel are so zealous and sloppy when it comes to people challenging Israel's legitimacy. You can't win an argument if you misrepresent what your opponent is saying. This is what Ahmadinejad said:

You know quite well that Palestine is an old wound ??? as old as 60 years. For 60 years, these people are displaced. For 60 years, they are being killed. For 60 years, on a daily basis there???s conflict and terror, for 60 years, innocent women and children are destroyed and killed by helicopters and airplanes that rake the houses over their heads. Children in schools are being tortured, for 60 years, the slogan of expansionism, from the Nile to the Euphrates has been chanted.

Given that the Holocaust is a present reality of our time, a history that occurred, why is there not sufficient research that can approach the topic from different perspectives?

(NYTimes) Interestingly, Mr. Ahmadinejad did not call the Holocaust a ???myth,??? as he has in the past, but instead argued that the Palestinians were paying the price for other people???s crimes:[/b]

We need to still question whether the Palestinian people should be paying for it or not. After all, it happened in Europe. The Palestinian people had no role in it. Why is it that the Palestinian people are paying the price for an event they had nothing to do with?

They had no role to play in World War II. They were living with the Jewish and Christian communities in peace at the time. They didn???t have any problems. Today, too, Jews, Christians and Muslims live in brotherhood in many parts of the world. Why is it that Palestinians should pay a price ??? innocent Palestinians ??? for 5 million people to remain displaced and refugees abroad, for 60 years? Is this not a crime? Is asking about these crimes a crime in itself? Why should an academic like myself face insults for asking questions like this?
    This is not a ridiculous question; many people, all over the world, ask the same thing. Until Israel and its supporters make an attempt to understand their enemies' logic they will not win.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Any place to see this online??

CNN has a live feed link on their home page.

I'm watching it on my computer at work.

Currently he is being asked why they execute gay people In Iran

• He asked of the United States: ???If you have created the fifth generation of atomic bombs and tested them already, what position are you in to question the peaceful purposes of others who want nuclear power? We don???t believe in nuclear weapons, period. It goes against the whole grain of humanity.???
    He added that politicians interested in nuclear weapons ???are backward, retarded.???[/b]

He asked of the United States: ???If you have created the fifth generation of atomic bombs and tested them already, what position are you in to question the peaceful purposes of others who want nuclear power? We don???t believe in nuclear weapons, period. It goes against the whole concept of "hands on" killing, where we chop off heads and like to see the blood spurt out in person. Nuclear weapons are so impersonal".[/b]

• ZachDZachD 318 Posts

Have you noticed dude is always dressed like a player?

Like after supervising his secret nuke program he's going to the bar to find a new special lady friend.

He seems under-dressed for a guy in his position.

• i think there is a religious reason behind him not wearing ties. saddam had the same look at his trial.

• he don't wear a tie because he's got no class.

he also doesn't speak for most of us persians, just like ol' bushy don't speak for most of us americans.

problem is, dude is 400 years behind on the rest of the worlds current state.

funny thing, though, you know bush only wishes he could say there are no gays in america, but he knows he would get laughed at and ridiculed like ahmadi did at columbia university today.

unfortunately, social discourse isn't where it needs to be in iran today. but bottom line is, he doesn't speak for the rest of iranians in and out of iran.

i'd welcome Shirin Ebadi to speak on behalf of iran, though.

peace and clean beans.

kg.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Bollinger is an embarassment.

• he don't wear a tie because he's got no class.

my Persian homie was saying the bad haircut and the cheap suits is a front to appeal to "the common" man. like W with his cowboy had and belt buckles. when in reality he's a member of the educated elite.

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    Is there a full transcript of this online, not to watch but to read?

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    he don't wear a tie because he's got no class.

my Persian homie was saying the bad haircut and the cheap suits is a front to appeal to "the common" man. like W with his cowboy had and belt buckles. when in reality he's a member of the educated elite.
    i though there was some kind of anti-western statement about the absence of the tie

• Letting dude come and speak demonstrates our maturity that I'm not used to in this country.. We aren't threatened by freedom of speech.

People saying stupid things opens up debate on topics that may otherwise not be talked about.

People in control that want to censor ideas and images are guilty of being un American and must have something to hide.

• People in control that want to censor ideas and images are guilty of being un American and must have something to hide.[/b]

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

i though there was some kind of anti-western statement about the absence of the tie

Yea...anti-decadence, anti-class distinction - stems from the revolution.

"A patriot is he who supports the republic in general; whoever opposes it in detail is a traitor."

--Saint-Just

• Bollinger is an embarassment.

his introduction was the definition of self-serving. just when liberal minded folks were patting columbia on the back for allowing an open debate, this jackass has to stain the whole event by giving an introductory rant about how Ahmadinijad is an evil guy.

we get it. alumni are giving you heat about bringing him in to speak. however, if his goal was to make Ahmadinijad look bad, he accomplished the opposite. dude's shining moment was the gentlemanly way he took Bollinger's insults and turned them right around on him ("in our country we don't invite people to come speak, and then insult them).

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Bollinger is an embarassment.

his introduction was the definition of self-serving. just when liberal minded folks were patting columbia on the back for allowing an open debate, this jackass has to stain the whole event by giving an introductory rant about how Ahmadinijad is an evil guy.

we get it. alumni are giving you heat about bringing him in to speak. however, if his goal was to make Ahmadinijad look bad, he accomplished the opposite. dude's shining moment was the gentlemanly way he took Bollinger's insults and turned them right around on him ("in our country we don't invite people to come speak, and then insult them).

Yeah, it was just an incredibly vulgar example of a university president pandering to public sentiment. Totally inappropriate.

My idea of free speech is to invite an accused murderer to the funeral of one of their supposed victims to speak on why he's not guilty.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    My idea of free speech is to invite an accused murderer to the funeral of one of their supposed victims to speak on why he's not guilty.

Huh?

Huh?

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    i think he's trying to say that free speech should only be free for some people

• i think he's trying to say that free speech should only be free for some people

I'm pretty sure that's not what he was trying to say.

i think he's trying to say that free speech should only be free for some people

I'm pretty sure that's not what he was trying to say.

I'm saying, Rock's been rather incoherent in this thread.

• My idea of free speech is to invite an accused murderer to the funeral of one of their supposed victims to speak on why he's not guilty.

Are you inferring that Iran was behind 9/11?

• My idea of free speech is to invite an accused murderer to the funeral of one of their supposed victims to speak on why he's not guilty.

ixnay on the ack copters-blay......

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts

Don't they get to do that at the trial, which is usually attended by the victim's family members?