weekend finds thread....

pencilfacepencilface 674 Posts
edited September 2007 in Strut Central
couldnt find one so i figured i'd start onenothing too amazing but here's what ive got hold of the last week or so for cheap...the Decca 7 is TORNADOS "telstar" / "jungle fever" --- madness!! there's a nice break on the Candy 7", some fucking heavy drums on the Aphrodite's Child 7" and the Triangle one was featured on DR Delay's latest psych mix in the giftshop now --- great song."mary mary" on the monkees LP is ace and the Beca LP is dodgy welsh folk on Sain... i fucking love the Headcoatees LP -- savage garage rock from Billy Childish!! and i thought i couldnt go wrong with a 10" called "high pressure" on JW Theme Music --- but i was wrong

Comments

• Found a few nice things this morning including:

Cymande - S/T
    Rolling Stones - Let it Bleed (with poster)
    Doug Carn - Revelation
    The Clash - Police and Firemen on My Back (bootleg of 1980 Cleveland show)

and:

Harlem World Crew - Let's Rock (photo not mine)

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    45s, 50 cents each..some totally mint, some rough.:

the boys in the band - the boys in the band / sumpin heavy (spring)[/b] mint, too...
    king curtis - blue nocturne / memphis soul stew (atco)
    the moments - i wont do anything / love on a two-way street (stang)
    james brown - hot pants / pts 2 & 3 (people)[/b] WLP
    jimmy mcgriff - ive got a woman / pt 2 (sue)
    little sister - stanga / somebody's watching you (stone flower)[/b] mint
    lou donaldson - say it loud / snake bone (blue note)
    bullet - white lies, blue eyes / changes of mind (big tree)
    maxine brown - you gotta make a fool of somebody / you're in love (wand)
    lee dorsey - rain rain go away / gotta find a job (amy)
    jane birkin & serge gainsbourg - jane b / je t'aime...non mon plus (fontana)[/b]mint!!
    quincy jones - what's going on / pt 2 (A&M)
    aldemaro romero & his onda nueva - never can say goodbye / sweet madness (columbia)[/b] promo

it sucked, the dude was like "2 for a buck...unless theyre sleepers. funky sounding stuff from the 60s and 50s". this dude has no idea what hes doing, way overcharges for some stuff, way undercharges for other stuff. he took two records out of my pile but after listening i didnt even want them anyway. hes pretty dumb. im happy.

• Picked up a copy of that Shadow modern soul record that people around here seem to be into, I'll probably trade or sell it. Also found a fresher copy of the Jimmy Smith '75 album on Mojo. Nothing spectacular, but I like it. Worth getting a cleaner copy.

Last week I got a kinda rough copy of Boogaloo Joe on Prestige, Gary Burton "Good Vibes", and Jim Jones "Weatherman/Emotionless" 12" on Koch, all for free when selling records.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

• That Clay Hunt LP is not bad, had that once before. What's the deal on that Midnight Sun? I wanna say it looks prog, but Stateside, hmmmmm.....

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    caught me a russian

coverless unfortunately,

but pretty

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    What's the deal on that Midnight Sun? I wanna say it looks prog, but Stateside, hmmmmm.....

Danish Jazz-Prog from '71

Danish Jazz-Prog from '71

• finally had some time to do real world digging this weekend, here's what I got:

Curtis is for a friend, any time I see it cheap I buy it, it's amazing how many people don't own it.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    That Mirettes record rules.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    That Mirettes record rules.

^^^who got a double for me thx

• That Mirettes record rules.

^^^who got a double for me thx

It's amazing how identifiable those UNI covers are via their design... must've had the same artist for a long run.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    caught me a russian

coverless unfortunately,

but pretty

That's the Melodia Ensemble album titled Labyrinth... good find man! Seen this one go for over $200 at times... it's typical for Russian stuff to come in stock covers or no covers at all...

Good find man!

peace.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Ako - you got some nice 45s
    Hammertime - you got some nice LPs

Anyhow, here's what I got, just a bunch of cheapies at the local spot, except for the Bonfa because I just had to buy something at a thrift store after driving there & flipping through boxes of crap, it's pretty snoozy bossa stuff though. The Ray Bryant & Les McCann are nice piano jazz albums. I always liked that John Mayall too. Little Richard is cool & the Mighty Mighty Dells is tight. Stray Cats is a 12" with them doing I Fought The Law on the flip.

• not so much a find but a new album that ive wanted on vinyl since it came out a year or so ago and havent been able to track down online or in stores...

sam prekop - who's your new professor

That's the Melodia Ensemble album titled Labyrinth... good find man! Seen this one go for over $200 at times... it's typical for Russian stuff to come in stock covers or no covers at all...

Good find man!

peace.

WTF.....after just ONE trip to russia and you can read those letters already...WAZZUP homie???

Good find man!

peace.

WTF.....after just ONE trip to russia and you can read those letters already...WAZZUP homie??? [/quote

It pays to learn the basics when diggin'

but good find dude, pink label denotes the 2nd pressing from the main plant too... the first pressing is yellow...

peace.

• Records from a week in NZ
    All the 45s were $2 aside from the Binky Griptite & Quincy Conserve
    The albums were op shop pick ups

Special shout out to Kris Holmes who pointed me towards a couple of the cheap 45s up at Real Groovy last sunday & then invited me around for dinner the following night where he flossed both culinary skills & a dope collection, thanks homie!

45s:

Rufus Thomas - Do the double bump
    Edwin Starr - War / He who picks roses
    Ramsey Lewis Trio - A hard days night / Tout a doubt
    Fatback - King Tee III / You're my candy sweet
    L.T.D - Love ballad / Let the music keep playing
    Chantays - Move it / Pipeline
    Quincy Conserve - Everybody has their way / Purple frustrations
    The Temptations - My girl / The way you do the things you do
    Stan Getz & Charlie Byrd - Desifinado / Theme from Dr. Kildare
    Issac Hayes - Do your thing / Lets stay together (instrumetnal)
    Stevie Wonder - Part time lover + instrumental
    Friend & Lover - Reach out of the darkness / Time on your side
    Dorothy Moore - Misty Blue / Here it is

Bonus beat: two snaps from down Hawkes Bay way on the east coast of the North Island last week

Good find man!

peace.

WTF.....after just ONE trip to russia and you can read those letters already...WAZZUP homie??? [/quote

It pays to learn the basics when diggin' /

but good find dude, pink label denotes the 2nd pressing from the main plant too... the first pressing is yellow...

peace.

learn the basics= learning to read russian

well....actually i thought the 1st had the small lettering on pink label and the 2nd had the bigger letters on a white label...?

(then, my russian is a little off so...?)

Good find man!

peace.

It pays to learn the basics when diggin' /

peace.

learn the basics= learning to read russian

well....actually i thought the 1st had the small lettering on pink label and the 2nd had the bigger letters on a white label...?

(then, my russian is a little off so...?)

I learned the "basics" of diggin' put it that way gotta know how to read "JAZZ" in Russian, or you're basically lost!

It's very complicated the whole labelling and pressing plants in Russia. The numbers after the catalog number issue the pressing like "73" would be a pressing from 73-77 I believe, then "80" is later. The different colors correspond to later pressings. The white pressings are usually all later pressings... The first OG pressing of Labryinth is yellow from my knowledge of following the information I have. Regardless, it's probably impossible to know the truth as pressing was really dodgy and many copies pressed up all over Russia at the time, different covers and all that!!

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    some fucking heavy drums on the Aphrodite's Child 7"

Helloooooooo Cosmophonic

I found about 100 100 Euro records. All European Psych. Stuff I have seen online, but never in the really real world. They were priced accordingly, so I couldn't buy them. I could listen to most though.

Blues & Pop Festival 70 Live on MCA.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    caught me a russian

coverless unfortunately,

but pretty

Good find man!

peace.

Ahh! the famous Labyrinth album.
    That's the one we traded, Bev. I gave you the yellow one!!

Right, a dude is trying to sell it on ebay for $200, I just found another copy on the internet for $110 shipping (to France) included, with a picture cover.

Oh, and I know 4 different covers for this record.

Nice find!

• I can??t believe I didn??t buy those Can 45s

- J

• All I came up with after a visit to the flea market, Half Price Books, and Goodwill:

(Got these at the flea market in the Jazz section - sealed)

• Too lazy & busy to post photos.

All common records for me but some raer stuff for others.

I spent a total of $51.00 usd at the show today:

1.00 usd
    John handy=Carinval
    Disco Gold
    Roy Ayers-LifeLine
    Damion & Denita S/T
    Ace Spectrum-inner spectrum
    Mass Production-MasterPiece
    Chapter 8

3.00usd
    Heaven & Earth-fantasy
    Profile-sands of time
    Laura Lee-s/t

5.00 usd
    The nite liters/different Strokes
    Come back charleston blue SDTK
    Albino Gorilla-s/t
    Muddy Waters-Electric Mud
    Cannboll Adderley-Love, sex, and the zodiac

10.00usd
    PookaH-s/t

The dollar records were all very clean. No beat up stuff or stratch up stuff.
    But all in all, it's kinda dry out in the field. But, i'm happy with what I found.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts

Special shout out to Kris Holmes who pointed me towards a couple of the cheap 45s up at Real Groovy last sunday & then invited me around for dinner the following night where he flossed both culinary skills & a dope collection, thanks homie!
    Yeah bro, glad to see you made it back home ok, was great to catch up again.

• got a couple records that are always welcome in my house

a love unlimited i had never seen before (havent listened to it yet)and a cool,philly public school african drumming project record....and "warning,the surgeon general..."

but the weekend will be remembered by this holy grail finally getting gripped
    (crucial archaeological information provided generously by soulstrut brethren Maru...Thanks meng!)

• marumaru 1,450 Posts

but the weekend will be remembered by this holy grail finally getting gripped
    (crucial archaeological information provided generously by soulstrut brethren Maru...Thanks meng!)

dang, i am truly jealous, but i know you'll appreciate it. still in shrink too,

• you know what?
    after a couple listens...this LP is not essential.the more readily available "positive vibes"also has extra songs, including excellent "vibeing theme" ...i would say it is much more worthy of focused searching.
    but grails do have that "mystique"

• you know what?
    after a couple listens...this LP is not essential.the more readily available "positive vibes"also has extra songs, including excellent "vibeing theme" ...i would say it is much more worthy of focused searching.
    but grails do have that "mystique"

Will you send it to me? Pretty please?

C'mon Sputnik!