Why is Everything So Damn Expensive in the UK?

2»

Comments

• fishmongerfunk do you ever stop moaning about Britain? Honestly its like listening to a cunting english person sometimes...

• ....although thinking that kebab shops were the be and end all of english food was

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

also over here the w.ambulances go neee-noor neee-noor.

• do you ever stop moaning about Britain?

10-4 princess! you want to ride for bullshit food and bad record prices all the power to you. i never said doner was the pinnacle of your cuisine nor did i intend to imply that there were no good restos in britain. in london you have some the most world class of eateries but the fact is that doner type shit is what predominates here and the ratio of good to bad is places is off the map in comparison with other places.

i was just making a few observations as an outsider and asking if others could confirm my impressions (which they have). don;t take it too personally, ok.

besides the food, records and general increased cost of everything britain is amazing, lots of cool folks and shit to do and see.

see you in utrecht average man.

• do you ever stop moaning about Britain?

10-4 princess! your screen name sort of says it all. you want to ride for bullshit food and bad record prices all the power to you.

You'll have to explain what that means to me in Utrecht... but in all seriousness good on ya for going somewhere (anywhere!) different than London. Leicester though? Was that throwing a dart at a map jobbie?

• Was that throwing a dart at a map jobbie?

more of a girlfriend/grad school thing. as much as i love london, its too expensive for me at the moment and has too many distractions although i may move there for work next year. where are you based out of, btw? hit me on the pm if you want to trade some lp's in utrecht, i got a list posted in trades section.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    ride for bullshit food and bad record prices all the power to you

why don't you stop riding for not knowing too much about the UK? It's not our fault you eat shit and haven't a clue how to find records here.

:5pager:

• am i supposed to say 'toucher' or something, francis? all i did was make a few observations about how shit is overpriced, it was not meant to be some sort of damning indictment about what it means to be british; don;t try to turn this into some anti-british bullshit, ok francis?

if you have'nt noticed, several folks in this thread have amplified and expanded upon my comments which means they are probably not completely off-base. maybe there is some secret fucking underground record railway in the uk that i am not a party to, but seriously. the amount of effort required to hustle up some records is out of proportion when compared to other countries, deal with it. also, i donlt eat that shit we;ve been talking about and i have had some good (mostly indian) meals but that doesn;t erase the fact that the range of affordable options is somewhat lacking. its just an opinion and if you ever got off this island for a minute maybe you would realize there is a degree of validity to it. please prove me wrong: i am always looking for good records at fair prices and tasty morsels. otherwise, can we just let this go already...

• Yeah, you're on point with the record thing, it's pretty much the cause of me not buying stuff here anymore, i just wait until i travel to other countries and fill up a suitcase with new stuff because it's so much cheaper. It also means you can take advantage of it by selling the things you bought cheaply in Eastern Europe/USA for profit, or trading it for the ridiculously over priced things you're after...

Disagree with the food thing (other than the price) but who really cares...

• Was that throwing a dart at a map jobbie?

more of a girlfriend/grad school thing. as much as i love london, its too expensive for me at the moment and has too many distractions although i may move there for work next year. where are you based out of, btw? hit me on the pm if you want to trade some lp's in utrecht, i got a list posted in trades section.

So you're a student? Do you have a job? Did you save up loads of money in America before cumming over?

• So you're a student? Do you have a job? Did you save up loads of money in America before cumming over?

??1=$2 is not nice for your imported happybunny studenten on a dig for the princess di raers, even if he does get fonejacker once a week

• So you're a student? Do you have a job? Did you save up loads of money

i was a teacher in vancouver, canada for 5 years and after burning out (as so many do in that profession), i cashed in that ten-cent life for another one. all savings have been depleted at this point but the bank has been so kind to lend a hand. you should have seen them when i went in to extend my line of credit, they were literally licking their chops. that said, student life is pretty sweet except for the 100 percent, full-year finals.

given my budget, i tried to stop buying records altogether but i can;t get rid of the itch, so when i do buy they have to be damn good and fairly priced. utrecht is that spot: can;t wait to hit up the berlin guy's table and the two polish dudes again. the only question at this point is whether to pay the 50 eu to get in a day earlier. i went on the sat last time and it was fat with black merdas (80 euros!!), polish jazz, mps, and all that good shit so i am thinking it must be pretty mind blowing before the gen public gets a chance at it.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    about 250 pounds on rent,

Sheep - tell me that's not per week!