return of the "what's the best mixer" thread?

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
Ok, so, this is probably the umpteenth resurrection on a post asking about DJ mixers but fuck it, here it goes again:I'm in the market for a mid-level DJ mixer that's got a solid crossfader for scratching but equally important, I want it to have the following:1) 3 band EQ would be ideal. 2) assignable effects loops for 1, 2 or both channels.From what I can see, that leaves me with these choices:Vestax 05-Pro pro-3 (but this lacks a 3 band EQ)Rane TTM-54i or 56i (what's the $300 diff b/t these two?)Pioneer DJM-707Anybody have some comparison experience with these? I was looking hard at the Rane but I've heard from some that they don't really like the fader feel on that one. The Pioneer seems to be going at a great price but I've never really messed with a Pioneer save for trying out the 909 before. I already have an 05 which I'm not mad at, despite its limitations.

Comments

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    I'd go with the rane. I don't think most hip hop deejays would be used to the layout of the pioneer (I'm not) and the fader feels "weird".

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    I'd go with the rane.

used to have the 05, aint looked back. rane is the doodoo.

• 56 56 56 56 56 56 56 56 56 56 56 56 56 56 56 56

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    I'd go with the rane.

I've been enjoying my

for about a year now... solid & dependable & easy to use

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    In my rider I ask for these mixers in this order:

Rane TTM-56

Rane TTM-54

Pioneer DJM 909

Pioneer DJM 707

I myself own the DJM 707 and I really love it. The only reason I didn't get any of the ones I like more is because I couldn't afford it.

*Edit: Yeah, Empath is pretty good as well.

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    56 56 56 56 56 56 56 56 56 56 56 56 56 56 56 56

how do i resize this bitch?

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts

Rane TTM-54i or 56i (what's the $300 diff b/t these two?)

54 has a 2 band EQ and doesn't have EFX loop.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    56 got the "invincible" fader, complete kills on EQs, and I think the 54 only has a 2 band eq.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    What negative dcb constitutes a complete "kill?"

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    1) Cosmo has a rider? Like whoa. Btw, my man HHH enjoyed kicking it with you and Chris "Lemon Red". I like that people are now known by their blog names.

2) The 54 has no EFX loop? I thought it did. Well, if that's the case, it's prob out the running then.

3) What I'm sort of hearing is that 56 fo' sho' if you have the $$$. The 707 is not a bad option otherwise.

4) Personally, I don't like the Empath. Fader feels too rubbery. I like the "click" of the better Vestax faders.

• dj_pidj_pi 335 Posts
    Thing to look out for on the 54 is that it has no power switch. You have to constantly plug and unplug it if you don't wanna leave your mixer running 24/7. In general though, the Rane's are some bad ass mixers. They are durable and they don't use cheap internal components. I have a Vestax 07 and I wish I had a Rane 56. From some research that I've done, Vestax has used a lot of cheap parts and not as rugged as a design while Rane can take a beating and last.

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    Dub...go with the rane.

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    NO QUESTION.

Honestly, reliable as a 1200.

And has 3 band EQ, effect send / return. Sturdy as a motherfunk. Crossfader is the BOMB.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    The feel on the 56 faders are great, and it takes only a day or two to get used to them. It's not a great big obstacle, and you'll quickly realize the superiority over the annoying clicking vca faders. The 54 doesn't have the magnet faders that the 56 has, although both mixers have swapable faders for all 3 channels. Meaning if the crossfader ever goes bad, you can swap one of the lines and use that instead. I have not heard of anyone requiring a replacement for the 56 so far. Although, if a fader needs to be replaced, the unit needs to be shipped back since the new fader has to be calibrated properly.

really, if you had an 05 for that long, you should know Vestax has rested on its laurels. Their entire product range is overpriced, no ifs and or buts about it.

Pioneer is a good bargain, for the 707. Albeit the 3 band eq goes only to -26 I think, which is close but not total kills. I think total kill is at -40. Sound quality is decent, a lot better than the 500 & 600, but still not top notch. Although for that price, it's a great bargain.

I again, do recommend you look into the tascam, if you can find it since it's discontinued. It's a rebranded hak 360 but at a much cheaper price. At one point guitar center had it on clearance for $150.

Bottom line, think of the rane 56 as your 1200s. Once you buy one, you'll never have to worry about buying another mixer for 10 + years.

• RisingsonRisingson 696 Posts

I used to be a Vestax man, got myself a Rane and I've never looked back

TTM56 without a doubt

• wihlsunwihlsun 63 Posts
    56 is extremely easy to clean as well. Plus Rane Customer Service is amazing. They go out of their way to see that you are satisfied.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    The feel on the 56 faders are great, and it takes only a day or two to get used to them. It's not a great big obstacle, and you'll quickly realize the superiority over the annoying clicking vca faders. The 54 doesn't have the magnet faders that the 56 has, although both mixers have swapable faders for all 3 channels. Meaning if the crossfader ever goes bad, you can swap one of the lines and use that instead. I have not heard of anyone requiring a replacement for the 56 so far. Although, if a fader needs to be replaced, the unit needs to be shipped back since the new fader has to be calibrated properly.

really, if you had an 05 for that long, you should know Vestax has rested on its laurels. Their entire product range is overpriced, no ifs and or buts about it.

Pioneer is a good bargain, for the 707. Albeit the 3 band eq goes only to -26 I think, which is close but not total kills. I think total kill is at -40. Sound quality is decent, a lot better than the 500 & 600, but still not top notch. Although for that price, it's a great bargain.

I again, do recommend you look into the tascam, if you can find it since it's discontinued. It's a rebranded hak 360 but at a much cheaper price. At one point guitar center had it on clearance for $150.

Bottom line, think of the rane 56 as your 1200s. Once you buy one, you'll never have to worry about buying another mixer for 10 + years.

Truth being spoken right here. Like I said, the only reason why I copped the 707 was because I wanted to spend the extra money and get an M-Box for my Mac. Solid as fuck mixer, but not really fucking with the 56.

Truth be told though, I might choose the 707 over the 54.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    Truth being spoken right here. Like I said, the only reason why I copped the 707 was because I wanted to spend the extra money and get an M-Box for my Mac. Solid as fuck mixer, but not really fucking with the 56.

AI,

Does the 707 have assignable effects?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

AI,

I have the Boss Dr. Rhythm SP-303, which I run through the send/return of the 707. Gives me all the samples plus the effects. Only thing that's not the best about it is the effects aren't automatically timed as to the music that an in-board effects unit can do.

AI,

I have the Boss Dr. Rhythm SP-303, which I run through the send/return of the 707. Gives me all the samples plus the effects. Only thing that's not the best about it is the effects aren't automatically timed as to the music that an in-board effects unit can do.

Yeah, I know it has an effects send/return, but can you assign effects to one channel or the other on the 707?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

AI,

Yeah, I know it has an effects send/return, but can you assign effects to one channel or the other on the 707?

Pretty sure. Both channels have their own individual SEND engage buttons. I've only been fucking with it this way for a second.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts

AI,

Pretty sure. Both channels have their own individual SEND engage buttons. I've only been fucking with it this way for a second.

707 Has no effects, The 909 has all the effects. If you are getting a 707, you need to get them quick as they stopped making them and dropped the price to unload their backstock... They are getting really ahrd to come by (our distro emails us when he gets 1 in )... The 909 is the same mixer as the 707 but it has all of the digital effects built into it. Both mixers are off the hook though, their faders are noice as hell and overall just a solid piece of equipment.

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    2) The 54 has no EFX loop? I thought it did. Well, if that's the case, it's prob out the running then.

My 54 (I bought it 7 years ago -- still working fine, so that's a selling point) has EFX loop. Perhaps the i model doesn't, but I think Urrrs misspoke.

I modified mine. There's a spring in the "hamster" button on the top:

Which makes the button lock. If you remove the spring it acts more like a walkie toggle type button. Engaged when held. This means, if you set your volume fader to 0, you can transform scratch using the hamster switch instead of the phono/line toggle switch.

Oliver, for what it's worth, I accidentally spilled an entire coke (from Pepito's Burrito Shop in Berkeley, which came in the ol' school bottle -- the bottle actually smashed into the face plate of the mixer) on the mixer soon after I got it. I cleaned it, but there was coke everywhere. I mean, that can't be good, right? There was no damage to the mixer, surprisingly, and I only had to recently replace the crossfader.

That's worth the money, if you ask me.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Thanks ya'll. I guess I should just bite the bullet and get the 56. Hello craigslist!

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Thanks ya'll. I guess I should just bite the bullet and get the 56. Hello craigslist!

Yeah dude.

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    I'd go with the rane.

I've been enjoying my

for about a year now... solid & dependable & easy to use

the empath has a few nice features, especially that third channel, but you can't view the db meter to adjust the gain prior to mixing in the track- it adjusts gain "automatically" which is really annoying to me.

the 56 is the only way to go for djs that mix and scratch, reliable and sounds great.

and its got a power switch (see: rane 54i)

I'll see you there, O!

(Nothin' there right now, btw)

• parenparen 537 Posts
    i flipped a 56 on craigslist a couple of years ago - i think the market there for used ones really doesn't drive pricepoint down all that much (at least it didn't)

909 gets my vote even though i had to use the warranty months ago to resolve a tap-tempo issue where the bpm just jumped all over the place and the display shifted between effect parameter screens at random... an issue which seems to be slowly reemerging. it seems that all the viable mixers with onboard effects show some wear and tear of this nature over time.

it's 909 or 56. (that tascam is a piece of shit even at the lowlow price).

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    ABSOLUTE CO-SIGN ON THE RANE 56[/b]

but...

if money is an issue, I highly recommend the Allen & Heath - Xone 02.

Very solid mixer and the sound quality is top notch mate.

here's the brochure

I also used to own a Rane TTM54 and the only thing I didn't like about it was the faders needed replacing after a short while (I did beat mine up practicing, so I guess that's realative), and the effects send/return is pre-fader, meaning if you were to transform an "ahhh" all you hear in the delay effect is you moving the record without the clicks. And if I remember correctly, they also aren't individually assignable so you have the effects on both channels instead of each individual turtable.

NO QUESTION.

Honestly, reliable as a 1200.

And has 3 band EQ, effect send / return. Sturdy as a motherfunk. Crossfader is the BOMB.

• ArtifactorArtifactor 887 Posts
    How is the PMC-06 the slender Vestax. Does it have a better feel?