Favorite music to pass out to:

VagabondVagabond 417 Posts
edited June 2005 in Music Talk
What is everyones favorite sleepy time music? I have been passing out to Alice Coltrane, Roberta Flack and Nat King Cole lately.

Comments

• Art_FormArt_Form 188 Posts
    Mine's DJ Shame "Travelling Through Sampleland Part 2", The Five Stairsteps Greatest Hits, The Best of Donny Hathaway, and on other nights Sarah Vaughn's "Best of 20th Century" CD.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Anything not on vinyl.

Put on a record. Pass out. Wake up 10 hours later with the needle gnawing the runout groove. Needle gets old before it's time. Big

or

Wake up 10 hours later with the needle gnawing the label. Needle is outta here. Even bigger

(personal experience)

Not a problem with automatic turntables, but with an SL12xx you can't doze off, unfortunately. I usually put on a mix, mp3s, DAT, Minidisc, whatever. Anything that I can leave unattended.

Something like:

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Chopin, Debussy or Michael Nyman.

• Mendelsohn
    Coleman Hawkins
    Johnny Hodges
    Ted HAwkins
    Burning Spear

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Jesus Blood Never Failed Me Yet is one of the most amazing tracks I own. I burned it on CD and it goes on for 20 minutes. Starts out very mellow and reaches a crecendo before returning to its original mellow state.

Listening to it whil high and sleepy is like being at the gates of heaven

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

or... better yet

• BeardedDBeardedD 770 Posts
    My roommate has been using Music For Airports every single night for two years now.

I used to use an Environments "Acoustically Ultimate Seashore" (yes really) CD until I lived by the ocean for a year... And since then I have never had too many problems sleeping with or without music or waves or anything else.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works II
    Miles Davis - Kind of Blue

• Options
    WHat you think? I'm am partial to my Trini version of "Man's Man's Man's World", though.

K.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts

Works like a charm for damn near 20 years now.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    any spiritual or out jazz. for soem reason this helps me relax when im tryin to go to sleep. fell asleep the other night to Wayne Shorter-odyssey of iska only to wake up and find the needle knawing at the runout groove

Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works II
    Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
    is yer aphex twin vinyl or cd? the vinyl has more, even better songs.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    I don't have the vinyl and probably will never have it since kids tend to bid like crazy whenever it shows up on eBay and I doubt I can find it here.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    triple brown wax. worth spending the loot on, the most amazing and beautiful ambient ish. Wish Richard James didn't fall off so hard.

triple brown wax. worth spending the loot on, the most amazing and beautiful ambient ish. Wish Richard James didn't fall off so hard.
    sorry j, i was actually flossing knowledge of your copy.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    Hate passing out to records playin, but yo sometimes shit happens,.... Still remember passing wayout to Done By The Forces(great piece), this is like 89/90 and Im a kid loving the JB*s but smoking waaay too much weed, just bought their brand new release and came home with it after a long weed-ish day, being real hype and looking forward to checking out the new JB's wax but got a bit to comfortable,... fell asleep during the first track and woke up the next morning to the noise of the stylus cutting into the WB label.......................damn!

• SexyBNyceSexyBNyce 371 Posts
    Jesus Blood Never Failed Me Yet is one of the most amazing tracks I own. I burned it on CD and it goes on for 20 minutes. Starts out very mellow and reaches a crecendo before returning to its original mellow state.

There is a story in the liners about when they first looped that up in an art studio and took off to get some coffee-when they came back all the student artists are all quietly weeping to themselves. The loop is from an unused piece of film-its just some old homeless dude [i think they call them tramps in england]. singing this little hymm. Damn, dudie is old, stepped on and out on the streets and talking bout jesus blood never failed him. powerful stuff.

• ShingalingShingaling 877 Posts

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Hate passing out to records playin, but yo sometimes shit happens,.... Still remember passing wayout to Done By The Forces(great piece), this is like 89/90 and Im a kid loving the JB*s but smoking waaay too much weed, just bought their brand new release and came home with it after a long weed-ish day, being real hype and looking forward to checking out the new JB's wax but got a bit to comfortable,... fell asleep during the first track and woke up the next morning to the noise of the stylus cutting into the WB label.......................damn!

Ha, I think most reggae records do that!

But seriously, 2 much weed + 2 much beer = strongest buzz I've ever had, and I've done most of the rest. Just not sure if the intensity is in any way enjoyable. More of a test of nerve vis-a-vis not blowing chunks.

Also, weed + making beats can make me pass out after a while. I need to sequence more, loop less.

• cheebahazecheebahaze 235 Posts

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

There is a story in the liners about when they first looped that up in an art studio and took off to get some coffee-when they came back all the student artists are all quietly weeping to themselves. The loop is from an unused piece of film-its just some old homeless dude [i think they call them tramps in england]. singing this little hymm. Damn, dudie is old, stepped on and out on the streets and talking bout jesus blood never failed him. powerful stuff.

Powerful stuff indeed. When I first got this LP I felt compelled to post about it and include an MP3. Though I have not cried while listening to this I can easily see how people could. The emotion in that tramps voice is heartbreaking. if you don't get a chill in your spine hearing this there may be something wrong with you.

quite simply one of the most amazing pieces of music these ears have ever heard

I usually fall asleep listening to the Joe Frank archives.

• slushslush 691 Posts
    though i no longer sleep to music, it was a nightly routine in high school. my favourites back then were

aphex - SAW2, melodies from mars
    julie doiron and the wooden stars
    sea and cake - the fawn
    my bloody valentine - loveless
    tortoise - millions now living....
    boards of canada - twoism
    stars of the lid

now id probably make a mix of real slow jazz shit like horace silver - nobody knows or pharoah's japan. but i havent felt compelled to sleep to music in a few years...

• bubor0ckbubor0ck 141 Posts
    Chopin

yes!...chopin is the lick for studying and sleeping...i got the pianist sndtrk on the ipod but that can be a little heavy sometimes...if its not classical, usually somethin instrumental. past two nights its been the lovage instrumentals and that first echo + thebunnyman album

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    I cant fall asleep if there's music playing.

I fall asleep listening to talkradio.

• bubor0ckbubor0ck 141 Posts
    this makes me recall old days of passing out to NPR....i remember waking up in the middle of the night a long ass time ago and they were playing some feature on NPR where they kept playing snips of the Dr. Octagon album, shit threw me for a loop!

• dj_pidj_pi 335 Posts
    Chopin, Debussy

I like your style!

Love classical music and really like Rachmaninoff.

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    Isaac Hayes - To Be Continued

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

stars of the lid
    A friend and I brought these guys to town a few years a go and it was amazing. They did what all bands that sound like that shoud do ??? provided visuals. They ran three projectors with different coloured filters and it was just beautiful.
    They are good sleepy-time music.

For me, it is classical Indian and Iranian music (anything with mellow sitar and santoor) and this record is pretty good, too: