IT'S RECORD DAY BITCH

Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
edited September 2007 in Strut Central
Alright Let's Get This Shit The Fuck On. This is all stuff from the hard drive. The realerer schitt will come later, after I sleep.Badfinger - Straight UpOne of my favorite records. I find it to be falsely optimistic and kind of melancholy, yet committed on a level that at the end of it is really inspiring. Great music.Black Rhythm Truth Band - IfetayoRare and great diaspora funk - issued out of the west indies but with a heavy afrobeat influence. Defies the kind of cookie cutter sound those words might conjure up and resides on a plane of records that are worth the hypeBrand Nubian - One For AllDefinition of classic hip hop record. Duke Ellington, Charlie Mingus, Max Roach - Money Jungle What jazz should sound like. Maybe it's just me but I feel like it's totally under-appreciated, should be considered one of the best - on what record can you even attempt to hear the kind of fucking sheer talent that was in that room??The Editors In ChiefA cut-n-paste mix made a couple years ago by myself, Dr.BrownsCelray, and Rape_Donkeys. Enjoy.Jorge Ben - A Tabua De EsmeraldaI wish I understood Portuguese better because I know Ben is dropping some schitt. This record is the perfect soundtrack for drugs but remains just as potent when sober. This is what dreams sound likeLeroy Hutson - The Best Of Leroy HutsonWell this is just something I threw together from my collection of Leroy Hutson records, everything on here is timeless. I throw this on in the car loud and max out. It's like thatSaafir - Boxcar SessionsFrom the Bay, I can't think of another rap record with the depth, the skill, and the sheer knock of Boxcar. I can't really say this was the soundtrack, but this sounds like West Oakland.Thee Midnighters - GiantsClassic East LA garage band in their best form. "Whittier Blvd.", "Sad Girl", "Land of 1000 Dances", and one of the best versions of "The Look Of Love" I've heard. A record I bought for $3 and wouldn't trade for the world.

Comments

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts

Thanks JP!

• ageage 1,131 Posts

Thee Midnighters - Giants

Classic East LA garage band in their best form. "Whittier Blvd.", "Sad Girl", "Land of 1000 Dances", and one of the best versions of "The Look Of Love" I've heard. A record I bought for $3 and wouldn't trade for the world.

amen!!

will post later on!!!

Peace and goodnight for now!!

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Fucking fuck yeah!

I'm gonna try and get some stuff up for record day too. I just picked up a few interestign things, and I got a gang of reviews that are still yet to appear on my Aussie Funk blog.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    way to start things off right

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Badfinger - Straight Up

One of my favorite records. I find it to be falsely optimistic and kind of melancholy, yet committed on a level that at the end of it is really inspiring. Great music.

Just pulled that one off the shelf a few days ago. Great record.

Black Rhythm Truth Band - Ifetayo

Rare and great diaspora funk - issued out of the west indies but with a heavy afrobeat influence. Defies the kind of cookie cutter sound those words might conjure up and resides on a plane of records that are worth the hype

This is amazing. Thank you.

• Yeah, Johnny! Thanks for posting these. Great stuff

• Saafir - Boxcar Sessions

From the Bay, I can't think of another rap record with the depth, the skill, and the sheer knock of Boxcar. I can't really say this was the soundtrack, but this sounds like West Oakland.

flashback! nice

• Saafir - Boxcar Sessions

From the Bay, I can't think of another rap record with the depth, the skill, and the sheer knock of Boxcar. I can't really say this was the soundtrack, but this sounds like West Oakland.

flashback! nice

to think I have met folls that hate on this record. I cram to understand.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Whoa. Great stuff, JP.

I'm going to try to get my post on this evening. This is shaping up to be a good day...

• great stuff!

The realerer schitt will come later

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    so record day = posting MP3s?

• Post deleted by sipreano

• Post deleted by sipreano

• Yeah this rip is an old one, and I remember there being some drama with songs missing - enjoy what's there folks and cop the Light In The Attic issue for the complete package!

• hey folks,
    the ER&W rip has been taken down out of respect for the upcoming LITA reissue and jerry brown/ER&W...
    we hope you'll support it when it drops...
    thanks raj and jonny...
    all the best...
    sip

Yeah this rip is an old one, and I remember there being some drama with songs missing - enjoy what's there folks and cop the Light In The Attic issue for the complete package!

word jonny...
    the fidelity will be much, much, much, better too...
    re-mastered by the stunt man in vancouver this past summer from scott colborne's OG master tape transfers...

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

Saafir - Boxcar Sessions

You are so right on about that. The way that J-Groove and the rest of that production team captured the sounds of endless trainyards was spot on.

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    Thank you sir.

• Duke Ellington, Charlie Mingus, Max Roach - Money Jungle

What jazz should sound like. Maybe it's just me but I feel like it's totally under-appreciated, should be considered one of the best - on what record can you even attempt to hear the kind of fucking sheer talent that was in that room??

One of the best jazz albums EVER.

RE: Boxcar Sessions

Anybody heard the unreleased Boxcar Sessions CD? It's not on vinyl, but I could post that up when I get home. Some remixes and throwaways from the album plus one circa-2000 track called Whomp 2000 or something. Haven't listened in a while but the old tracks all had the same appeal as the Boxcar album, fans of that should dig it. Hopefully, I can find it.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts

Saafir - Boxcar Sessions

flashback! nice

DAMN this is bringing back memories... this is in my top 10 albums of all time, nothing like it when it came out... remember his interview in 4080 magazine...

Gotta say R.I.P. to my hommie Mike Dream... that dude was cool as fuck to me being a dude in Australia writing for rap magazines... he laced me with the records and 411 on the Bay Area scene... it's fucked up what happened...

Saafir - Boxcar Sessions

flashback! nice

DAMN this is bringing back memories... this is in my top 10 albums of all time, nothing like it when it came out... remember his interview in 4080 magazine...

Gotta say R.I.P. to my hommie Mike Dream... that dude was cool as fuck to me being a dude in Australia writing for rap magazines... he laced me with the records and 411 on the Bay Area scene... it's fucked up what happened...

And while we're at it...RIP Plan B.

Hard to find, but his "Quest 4 Survival" 12" with MC Pooh and Saafir on it is top notch.

• Duke Ellington, Charlie Mingus, Max Roach - Money Jungle

What jazz should sound like. Maybe it's just me but I feel like it's totally under-appreciated, should be considered one of the best - on what record can you even attempt to hear the kind of fucking sheer talent that was in that room??

one of the best, but is it really under-appreciated? co-sign your "what jazz should sound like" sentiment.

also for me:

i slept on this for that for so long.

it's so easy to just start a bunch of threads on Record Day, I had to check myself last night. this is one of the better ones today. Thanks jonny

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    Hard to find, but his "Quest 4 Survival" 12" with MC Pooh and Saafir on it is top notch.

Yeah, Dream sent me a box of those as well as the APB posters for Plan Bee.... I had a few of those 12"s somewhere sealed still, I gave one to the dudes at DWG a while ago... that Saafir track Runnin from 5-0, someone needs to mp3 that up...

• big thanks JP. won't be able to check back today til late night (maybe), but here's a lil something I'd like to share.

The Natural Four - S/T

clean rip of the whole record at 320

• big thanks JP. won't be able to check back today til late night (maybe), but here's a lil something I'd like to share.

The Natural Four - S/T

clean rip of the whole record at 320

AWESOME!!!!

Thanks!

• Hard to find, but his "Quest 4 Survival" 12" with MC Pooh and Saafir on it is top notch.

Yeah, Dream sent me a box of those as well as the APB posters for Plan Bee.... I had a few of those 12"s somewhere sealed still, I gave one to the dudes at DWG a while ago... that Saafir track Runnin from 5-0, someone needs to mp3 that up...

yeah...seriously...I have the 12" somewhere (test press)...but, I don't have the mptree of that shit...probably one of the hardest saafir tracks...

that and rock the show...would be a good mp3 to have...if I get the time...i'll do em...

• Found "Rock The Show" a while back... still looking for "Running From 5-0". If anyone can up that, I'd be a fan

still looking for "Running From 5-0". If anyone can up that, I'd be a fan

If someone does up this one, brace yourself for one of the most off-beat instrumentals you've ever heard...and not in a good way off-beat either. Actually, the basic track is fine...it's when extra drums come in to "double-time" the beat that things go vastly wrong.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    DLed Brand Nubian. Thanks JP.