Any DJs include SALSA in their Sets these days?

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited September 2007 in Strut Central
Im just wondering. It used to work for me due to the LES Boriquas back when i gigged. Does it still get kids moving? Anything can work when done right. There were times when I could play Salsa(just a little) and it had the same reaction as Dancehall Reggae.

Comments

• everytime.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Latin, to me, NEVER goes out of style. Especially in California, you drop anything with a strong Latin rhythm and there's always going to be people in the audience who will get down with it. That, to me, is one of the beauties of a great salsa or boogaloo song - even if you don't know it, it still sounds vaguely familiar because the core rhythmic structure (Afro-cuban clave) and melodic themes (piano or horn montunos) exist from song to song.

• everytime.

depends on the gig, but almost always. salsa is a highly evolved genus- generations of weak rhythms fell victim to the fittest with the singular purpose of making people dance.

doing a weekly latin night has definitely changed my whole perspective.

and then there was merengue!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

That's my next question. I never played Merengue, but back in the day i went to couple of Salsa/Merengue parties at Bronx Community College and the Merengue sets were killin it. Im wondering why it never joined Salsa @ the "mainstream" club/lounge selections?

salsa is a highly evolved genus- generations of weak rhythms fell victim to the fittest with the singular purpose of making people dance.

FEELING THIS. Ha!

• I drop salsa all the time but that's because I'm primarily known as a "world music" DJ. That said even when I'm DJing other types of parties I always sneak at least one or two salsa tracks in there. I did a huge party at the American Indian Museum last weekend and dropped a few salsa tracks to great affect. One woman joked that the dance floor was full of everyone who'd had two or three salsa lesssons and wanted to show off.
    As far as merengue goes - its depends on your crowd. A lot of gringos don't know how to dance to it so they're intimidated by merengue. If you have crowd of Latinos you better have a few merengue tracks in your bag or you'll catch hell.

• Man, I love salsa, cumbia, boogaloo but I could never stomache a merengue song. Something about that rhythm just doesn't click for me.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts

That's my next question. I never played Merengue, but back in the day i went to couple of Salsa/Merengue parties at Bronx Community College and the Merengue sets were killin it. Im wondering why it never joined Salsa @ the "mainstream" club/lounge selections?

Merengue and Soca can often require a very specific crowd, sometimes hard to dance to, can sometimes sound "annoying" to an audience, etc.

Merengue and Soca can often require a very specific crowd, sometimes hard to dance to, can sometimes sound "annoying" to an audience, etc.

True. Merengue....Uptown Dominicans. Soca Brooklyn....Trinis. Its a shame though cause theyve both been around for a minute. But unlike Reggae & Salsa there are no "crossover" stars & songs for Disconnec-Teds to reference.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    I just did a loft party for some artists on Capitol Hill (thanks again to Neville C!) and they responded very well to a combination of latin jazz, straight salsa, and latin-flavored soul and disco. Those rythyms really liven up a party, especially if there are older heads in attendance. I agree with the idea that this stuff is 'highly evolved', that's a pretty good assessment.

A bartender was telling me that his pops grew up in Brooklyn and was a big time mambo and merengue man back in the 50s NYC Latin heyday. When they took him to a salsa club in LA, 25 year old latin honeys were fighting over his 73 year old father cuz he danced so nice!

• One woman joked that the dance floor was full of everyone who'd had two or three salsa lesssons and wanted to show off.

YES

25 year old latin honeys were fighting over his 73 year old father cuz he danced so nice!

DJs WHO DON'T DANCE: TAKE NOTE PLAESE

• i think merengue is much easier to dance then salsa, salsa can be very complicated.

if you cant at least attempt to dance to latin music (i hate bachata so, minus that) you dont dance.
    and if you dont dance, dont come to a party im spinning.

• All the time. I blend into it with these 12"s I have with this salsa/house ish called "The Latin Project." It's pretty dope and makes a great transition into the salsa tracks. Kind of like going... soul, R&B to hip hop.

All the time. I blend into it with these 12"s I have with this salsa/house ish called "The Latin Project." It's pretty dope and makes a great transition into the salsa tracks. Kind of like going... soul, R&B to hip hop.

James Brown - Please Please Please from HELL.

Robin Jones: Royal Marcha remix.

• dmacdmac 472 Posts
    DJs WHO DON'T DANCE: TAKE NOTE PLAESE

Duly noted, Marcossa, duly noted. Have been considering lessons for a long time now. Should finally commit already.

I'd like to know, how many DJs out (t)here DO DANCE?

Salsa Dancing Lesson = The New Yoga

" Brian and I are taking Salsa lessons. And we cant wait for that Salsa band to play at Jeremy's wedding so we can strut our stuff!"

• dmacdmac 472 Posts

" Brian and I are taking Salsa lessons. And we cant wait for that Salsa band to play at Jeremy's wedding so we can strut our stuff!"

Maybe I should go old school, consider yoga lessons and bust those moves at a wedding.

Maybe I should go old school, consider yoga lessons and bust those moves at a wedding.

haha... Im just joking but iknow a nd handful of friends whom have adopted Salsa lessons and they speak of it like Pilates n shit. Do U.

Salsa Dancing Lessons = The Old Salsa

I mean, this phenom has been around for ages. It might even be bigger than folls taking swing lessons.

• Merengue and Soca can often require a very specific crowd, sometimes hard to dance to, can sometimes sound "annoying" to an audience, etc.

True. Merengue....Uptown Dominicans. Soca Brooklyn....Trinis. Its a shame though cause theyve both been around for a minute. But unlike Reggae & Salsa there are no "crossover" stars & songs for Disconnec-Teds to reference.

have to disagree here. you think you don't know those crossover jams, but then when you hear em, everybody is singing along.

on the merengue tip
    Suavemente by Elvis Crespo
    El Tiburon by Proyecto Uno
    Guallando by Fulanito
    Culito by Aguakate

y mas... when you hear em you'll know

some crossover soca jams too.

believe it or not, this stuff has been getting more hype from the hipster hollertron set lately. There's some real joints there as well.

Nookie got the shine from M.I.A. using the beat.

have to disagree here. you think you don't know those crossover jams, but then when you hear em, everybody is singing along.

on the merengue tip
    Guallando by Fulanito
    Culito by Aguakate

believe it or not, this stuff has been getting more hype from the hipster hollertron set lately. There's some real joints there as well.

I might know those joints but does my mom? I'm talmbout POP crossover not just local club hits.
    Sean Paul Level shit.

• Merengue and Soca can often require a very specific crowd, sometimes hard to dance to, can sometimes sound "annoying" to an audience, etc.

on the merengue tip
    Guallando by Fulanito
    Culito by Aguakate

I might know those joints but does my mom? I'm talmbout POP crossover not just local club hits.
    Sean Paul Level shit.

I don't know about your mom, but those were mega huge hits in PR, I can only imagine they got heavy radio play in the latin stations here too.

Hipster parties jamming to Elvis Crespo?! Now that is some shit!

on the merengue tip
    Guallando by Fulanito
    Culito by Aguakate

Sean Paul Level shit.

I don't know about your mom, but those were mega huge hits in PR, I can only imagine they got heavy radio play in the latin stations here too.

Suavemente =

POP not popular.

on the merengue tip
    Guallando by Fulanito
    Culito by Aguakate

Sean Paul Level shit.

POP not popular.

Local Bodega experience bro. You'd have to be deaf not to have heard some of these joints if you live uptown.

on the merengue tip
    Guallando by Fulanito
    Culito by Aguakate

Sean Paul Level shit.

POP not popular.

Local Bodega experience bro. You'd have to be deaf not to have heard some of these joints if you live uptown.

Cmon now. I'm talkin Entertainment tonight interviews. Would you equate a MEGA classic w/ Latin POP like Vida Loca?

"crossover" stars

examples pleez

• Hipster parties jamming to Elvis Crespo?! Now that is some shit!

well, I was actually talkin more about the soca stuff, which often clocks in at around the same tempo as b-more jawns- 130 - 140

but yeah, try mixing any one of the aforementioned merengue bombs outta Temperature by Sean P and see what happens.

even better, drop coolie rhythm sean p into culo remix into merengue bomb.

boricuas and dominicans will always be in the crowd somewhere.

• Cmon now. I'm talkin Entertainment tonight interviews. Would you equate a MEGA classic w/ Latin POP like Vida Loca?

Ricky Martin is just a latin artist making American pop music, most of that song is in English as is Shakira's stuff, I wouldn't call them latin pop. When was the last time a song in a foreign language made it to ET anyway?

Cmon now. I'm talkin Entertainment tonight interviews. Would you equate a MEGA classic w/ Latin POP like Vida Loca?

Ricky Martin is just a latin artist making American pop music, most of that song is in English as is Shakira's stuff, I wouldn't call them latin pop. When was the last time a song in a foreign language made it to ET anyway?

HEY MACARENA.....