PayPal rival on the way from Google? (article)

catchdubscatchdubs 492 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
http://news.zdnet.co.uk/internet/ecommerce/0,39020372,39204645,00.htm Google could be about to launch its own Internet payments service to rival eBay-owned PayPal.According to a report in the New York Times, speculation about the new payment service arose following discussion at a conference held by analyst house Piper Jaffray, where the chief executive of a major online retailer spilled the beans.The CEO, who spoke under condition of anonymity, said Google had approached his company to take part in the online payments service.Google did not respond to requests for comment on the reports.Any potential move into the payments sector could prove lucrative ??? PayPal earned eBay $233m (??128m) in the first quarter of this year. However, should Google decide to enter the online payments arena, it may affect the company's relationship with eBay, one of its largest advertisers.Stranger things have happened. Google is already rumoured to be venturing into new territories such as VoIP, and has added a number of new services to its portfolio of late, including a maps and local services feature; a browser toolbar; and domain registry.

Comments

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Speaking of google... Anyone been using google earth at all?

Kinda dope

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    Speaking of google... Anyone been using google earth at all?

Kinda dope

ya, ive been playing with it all day.

this googlepal idea sounds dope too, soon the internet will change its name to google.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    FINALLY

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    Can't wait. I can't stand Paypal. Would gladly make the switch.

• ArtifactorArtifactor 887 Posts
    Yessssssssss. You know they are gonna have cheaper rates to compete. A quarter for every 20 dollars perhaps. I don't know but it means good.

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts
    ...that's not all. I'm hearing from a friend who works for google that an auction site to take down ebay once and for all might be coming... Can't cofirm anything more than that

I'll be the first to leave Ebay.

• BeardedDBeardedD 770 Posts
    Co muthafuckin sign

I'll stand on a street corner with a sign if it will help break ebay's monopoly. I hate those greedy fukers.

...that's not all. I'm hearing from a friend who works for google that an auction site to take down ebay once and for all might be coming... Can't cofirm anything more than that

I doubt anyone will take over eBay's reign. I wish someone would/could take over but they would have to have a lot of $$$ and advertising. I hope it happens though with cheaper fees.

I doubt anyone will take over eBay's reign. I wish someone would/could take over but they would have to have a lot of $$$ and advertising. I hope it happens though with cheaper fees.

Hence google... They over took Time Warner as the most valued media company. They got $$$ for dayz...

Anyone ever read their philosophy??

Good Read

#6. You can make money without doing evil.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

Hence google... They over took Time Warner as the most valued media company. They got $$$ for dayz...

Good Read

Like he said Google has $$$$. And they have internet skills and savvay beyond those of ebay.

Gbay, baby.

Good Read

Word, how much are they worth? I hope they do it. I think I hope. We don't want to greedy mother------s.

Good Read

Word, how much are they worth? I hope they do it. I think I hope. We don't want to greedy mother------s.

Google is now worth something like 85 billion. With the stock price at somewhere around just over $300. Their IPO was something like 85 bucks... Thats a pretty good ROI...

I heard when they went public, something like a 1000 google employees became instant millionaire's.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    How much is Google stock going for now? MY?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    This can only be a good thing.