Nike Dischord Fiasco - apology

DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
from pitchfork------Nike Pulls Major Threat Ad, Issues ApologyCaroline Bermudez reports:On Thursday, we reported that Nike Skateboarding used a classic Minor Threat album cover for its "Major Threat" 2005 East Coast Tour posters without asking permission. Much had been heard from the justifiably angry Dischord Records camp, including former Minor Threat frontman and label co-founder Ian MacKaye, who expressed his outrage towards the sneaker conglomerate. Nike had remained oddly silent until yesterday, when it issued a formal apology to both Dischord and Minor Threat.In its letter of mea culpa, Nike Skateboarding states, "Because of the album's strong imagery, and because our East Coast tour ends in Washington DC, we felt it was a perfect fit. This was a poor judgment call and should not have been executed without consulting Minor Threat and Dischord Records." The letter also says that the advertising agencies Wieden & Kennedy and Odopod should not share blame for the poster image. Furthermore, Nike Skateboarding has removed all print and digital flyers for the tour bearing the Minor Threat image.In an attempt to make peace with the legendary hardcore band, the letter extends this olive branch: "All of the Nike employees responsible for the creation of the tour flyer are fans of both Minor Threat and Dischord records [sic] and have nothing but respect for both." See guys, it was a case of idol worship gone terribly wrong! Nike is totally down with underground music and skate culture.It is unclear whether Dischord will pursue future action against Nike. No responses to the letter have been made by MacKaye or anyone else at Dischord.Here's the apology in full:June 27, 2005To: Minor Threat, Dischord Records and fans of bothRe: Major Threat East Coast Tour PosterNike Skateboarding sincerely apologizes for the creation of a tour poster inspired by Minor Threat's album cover. Despite rumors being circulated, Wieden & Kennedy and Odopod had nothing to do with the creation of this tour poster and should not be held accountable. To set the record straight, Nike Skateboarding's "Major Threat" Tour poster was designed, executed and promoted by skateboarders, for skateboarders. All of Nike employees responsible for the creation of the tour flyer are fans of both Minor Threat and Dischord Records and have nothing but respect for both.Minor Threat's music and iconographic album cover have been an inspiration to countless skateboarders since the album came out in 1984. And for members of the Nike Skateboarding staff, this is no different. Because of the album's strong imagery and because our East Coast tour ends in Washington, DC, we felt that it was a perfect fit. This was a poor judgment call and should not have been executed without consulting Minor Threat and Dischord Records.We apologize for any problems this may have caused, and want to make very clear that we have no relationship with the members of Minor Threat, Dischord Records and they have not endorsed our products.Every effort has been made to remove and dispose of all flyers (both print and digital). Again, Nike Skateboarding sincerely apologizes to Minor Threat and Dischord Records.Sincerely,Nike Skateboarding

Comments

• END CORPORATE UNACCOUNTABILITY...

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    what "fans of the band" thought Minor Threat would be a good fit in Nikes??

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    what "fans of the band" thought Minor Threat would be a good fit in Nikes??

ya, i dont know how someone but that together...

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    the advertising agencies Wieden & Kennedy

Wieden & Kennedy are a Portland firm. I know people like to think of ad agencies as button down 5th ave tightasses. That's not the way it is. W&K is a highly creative company. I have a customer who is a dj and a W&K employee. He's worked with Bootsy (on LaBron James ad) and other heroes of his through his work. Naturaly he did it with Bootsy consent and Mr Collins got paid.

The point is, yes there are punk fans at W&K who are inspired by punk art work. Why they did not clear the sample (so to speak) I don't know. Perhaps the ensuing controversy was part of the ad campaign and any settlement with Dischord will be with in the ad budget.

Nike is putting shredders to work, and that can't be a bad thing.

Nike has cleaned up their sweatshops. Slave labor has been replaced with minimum accecptable wages and working conditions.

I have no love for Nike. I just don't like the knee jerk Nike is evil response.

What are you wearing?

Dan

PS: I go out of my way to wear made in USA foot wear, but I rarely leave the house.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    W&K had nothing to do with it. And I honestly cannot believe the whiny tantrum everyone is throwing about this. This is not a David Vs. Goliath type issue. The skate shoe division of Nike is small time, and I guarentee that any corporate bigwigs who signed off on this (if any did at all) had no idea the image was appropriated, or what it represented. Nike as a company made no attempt to co-opt an underground culture. Instead, some skater dude at Nike who likes Minor Threat attempted to pay tribute, but didn't have the courtesy to ask permission. It's not really that big of a deal.

• catchdubscatchdubs 492 Posts
    It's not really that big of a deal.

• Naturaly he did it with Bootsy

ayo!

and Mr Collins got paid.

AYO!!!

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    W&K had nothing to do with it. And I honestly cannot believe the whiny tantrum everyone is throwing about this. This is not a David Vs. Goliath type issue. The skate shoe division of Nike is small time, and I guarentee that any corporate bigwigs who signed off on this (if any did at all) had no idea the image was appropriated, or what it represented. Nike as a company made no attempt to co-opt an underground culture. Instead, some skater dude at Nike who likes Minor Threat attempted to pay tribute, but didn't have the courtesy to ask permission. It's not really that big of a deal.

I totally misread the article. I thought it said the oppisite. That explains why it wasn't cleared. W&K would have cleared it.