K-Rob Vs. Rammelzee Beat Bop - old school raps question

dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
edited April 2005 in Music Talk
what is that shit?get funky in the placebeat sounds like yin yang twins - wait.it's on style wars.probably some hip hop 101. I dropped out of that class though.what's really good? I need to know this.

Comments

• you talkin' bout the K-Rob Vs. Rammelzee "Beat Bop" joint?

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    probably some hip hop 101.

Rammellzee & K-Rob - "Beat Bop"

• awallawall 673 Posts
    one of the best hip hop songs

EVER

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    see what I mean? I'm so damn weak. I was always holding off on finding an OG of that shit. sheah right.

thanks. hahahaa.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    does anyone know where this track is available on vinyl on the cheap cheap? i know even the bootlegs go for some cake now. hows that ego trip comp pressed? did they give this a whole side of vinyl like it so deserves?

• awallawall 673 Posts
    hows that ego trip comp pressed?

pretty well.

did they give this a whole side of vinyl like it so deserves?
    i think there is one other short track right before it.

it's also available on the '84 profile comp simply called "Rap 1" that is readily available. there are multiple re-presses around too.

• you can get it on 2 other comps too:

Beat Classic

and

New York Noise - Dance Music From The New York Underground 1978-1982

• awallawall 673 Posts
    New York Noise - Dance Music From The New York Underground 1978-1982

oh yeah! forgot about that. love that comp, though that song is a bit out of place.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    I'm probably lame, but I never got into basquiat.........there's the later 12" pressing on Profile (sans artwork) that can save you dudes some bucks if you want it.

btw basquiat's got an exhibit going on at the brooklyn museum right aboot nooo...

http://www.brooklynmuseum.org/exhibitions/2005/basquiat/

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    I'm probably lame, but I never got into basquiat.........there's the later 12" pressing on Profile (sans artwork) that can save you dudes some bucks if you want it.

yo if i'm shelling out over $100 for it, i might as well shell out $1000 for the picture, at least that'll be worth something to art collectors in a post random rap world.

and i think the version on that ny noise comp is edited.

• awallawall 673 Posts

and i think the version on that ny noise comp is edited.
    yeah, it's the 6 minute version.

wasn't the picture sleeve version the most expensive rap record in existence at one point? is it still?

• AlGarthAlGarth 353 Posts

yo if i'm shelling out over $100 for it, i might as well shell out $1000 for the picture

I'm not sure I see the logic here.
    To me $900 is a big difference.
    That's just my broke ass talking.
    Peace,
    Al

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts

I played the track on my first podcast. The full version. It's at about 3:10 in the program so click the link if you want to hear it. Link

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

logic being that it's available on vinyl elsewhere and thus, me purchasing an original pressing at full price would be more of an investment/collectable/trophy piece than a musical piece. the pressing with the basquiat art would be infinitely more interesting to have in my collection and would most likely increase in value over time (i think there's only 1000 out there, no?). where i feel the profile pressing (of which there are probably many more) would most likely hold steady at the $50-100 range, at best (or diminish) and thus not be the wisest investment.

i know i run the risk of being subject to the ever present musical value vs. economic value argument, and, yes, music always comes first. but really, if i only cared about the music, i'd cop one of the afformented comps for $10-15 and not worry about it.

• slushslush 691 Posts
    i have a boot of it and i think i can get another
    it sounds fine but the cover is on some photocopy fuzz out bullshit like someone tried to re paint that shit in photoshop. i even debated buying it but i like the track a lot. a nicely printed version would be nice though. something i could put on my wall and shoot heroin to

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    something i could put on my wall and shoot heroin to

that is a nasty habit but I'm sure it compliments the music well

• slushslush 691 Posts
    yeah i definitly need to stop putting records on my wall

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts
    wow, dudes asking questions about

real hip hop[/b]

didn't I play this last weekend? Either way, pick up an og, then the ego trip. then that common / hitek - sun goddess slap. don't fear element.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

logic being that it's available on vinyl elsewhere and thus, me purchasing an original pressing at full price would be more of an investment/collectable/trophy piece than a musical piece.

To be honest, the sh!t is kind of ugly, though...

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts

logic being that it's available on vinyl elsewhere and thus, me purchasing an original pressing at full price would be more of an investment/collectable/trophy piece than a musical piece.

Man, I'm telling you... I feel like I will never understand this world sometimes. That shit is some f**kin' scribbling that my 6 year old could've done with way more style and flavor!!! Yet this is some sought after piece of artwork that somebody would pay four figures for. Just because it's a "Basquait" or whatever. F**k outta here.
    Not dissin' the hommie for thinking about buying it, though... in this severely twisted reality that we live in it probably would be a good investment. I probably need to buy one my damn self. And hang it up in the art room of the World Of Beats mansion, right next to my Mingering Mike masterpieces!

Man, I'm telling you... I feel like I will never understand this world sometimes. That shit is some f**kin' scribbling that my 6 year old could've done with way more style and flavor!!! Yet this is some sought after piece of artwork that somebody would pay four figures for. Just because it's a "Basquait" or whatever. F**k outta here.
    Not dissin' the hommie for thinking about buying it, though... in this severely twisted reality that we live in it probably would be a good investment. I probably need to buy one my damn self. And hang it up in the art room of the World Of Beats mansion, right next to my Mingering Mike masterpieces!

Ha--yeah, I agree with pretty much everything you said.

On another note: Al Diaz, the dude that actually produced the record, also played on some Liquid Liquid stuff...

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    Some people just don't get it.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Man, I'm telling you... I feel like I will never understand this world sometimes. That shit is some f**kin' scribbling that my 6 year old could've done with way more style and flavor!!!

Whilst art is most definitely subjective... I gotta agree. Basquiat's art is by no means in the league of a Picasso or Rembrandt or even a Dali or Warhol.
    I don't dislike it, but i'm not crazy about it. I think he was lucky to be in the right place at the right time and was part of a movement when art/pop/nightlife/society came together in NYC.

I'm just glad I scored my OG for $30...

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    Basquiat is over-rated...

• slushslush 691 Posts
    Basquiat is over-rated...

• ArchaicArchaic 633 Posts
    Basquiat was hip-hop on canvas. All of that signifying he did on established themes contains a world of new meanings that often fly right over the head of considerations such as "I'm not sure his work is attractive" or "he's not much of a technician".

Basquiat was hip-hop on canvas. All of that signifying he did on established themes contains a world of new meanings that often fly right over the head of considerations such as "I'm not sure his work is attractive" or "he's not much of a technician".

Oh Jeez...

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    To each their own but I love a lot of Basquiat's art. And beat bop is definitely one of the best hip hop songs ever IMO. I'd recommend getting that ego trip comp cause you'll also get that Bizzee Boys track too.

• slushslush 691 Posts
    CANVAS = THE 6TH ELEMENT OF HIP HOP????

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    CANVAS = THE 6TH ELEMENT OF HIP HOP????

i thought weed was the 6th element