CD-R skipping problems...

SouthCrackalackSouthCrackalack 3,853 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central
ok..so I have noticed that when I burn CD-Rs(a mix I made in particular), after playing flawlessly for awhile..it decides to start skipping on certain places. For instance as soon as "Hell Yeah" comes on it goes bonkers. I am not sure why this happened..the CD isnt scratched and has practically not left my car CD changer..but I can see it is getting worse and worse(the whole song is fucked). Now does this have something to do with the quality CD-Rs I am using(Memorex 52x)..or is just a way for "the man" to stop the masses from hearing Dead Prez? I am guessing the latter.

Comments

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    i always wondered about scratches on cds...they say you can put toothpaste on it and fix it, "they say" a lot of things so i dont know.

• Tuff_GongTuff_Gong 627 Posts
    What speed do you burn your discs at? The faster the speed you burn at the more likely it is for a CD player to skip while playing the disc. The reason is when you burn a CD at a fast speed the pits the laser burns into the CD aren't as deep so some lasers have trouble reading it. If you're burning discs at like 52x or something you might just try burning at a lower speed like 32x or something and see if that makes a difference.

And if you're not burning the discs at high speeds then I have no idea what could be causing it.

• TheGoochTheGooch 541 Posts
    Ive noticed that as well. I always burn at half the max speed of the burner. This goes with dvd copies as well.

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
    How old is your car changer? I've got an older home deck that has recently started skipping on burned CD's.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    If you burn audio, anything over 4x leaves room for errors. 8x would be the extreme limit.

It also depends on the burner too. Memorex CD-R's are horrible.

I had read awhile back that a lot of times it depends on where the CD-R's are made. Japan CD-R's are almost flawless, while those made in Taiwan, or the Imation's made in India are bad, but again, it's also a burner issue. If you can afford the Mitsui's/Taiyo Yuden's, go for it. In a better world, that's the only brand I would ever use.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Memorex CD-R's are horrible.

Because Memorex made the shittiest blank tapes back in the day I've always avoided their CDRs even thought they're the cheapest...

Word to Japan

• How old is your car changer? I've got an older home deck that has recently started skipping on burned CD's.

its in the trunk of a 97' Lincoln Town Car Signature Series. ...so kinda old.

think that is it?

wheres a good spot to get decent prices on good CD-R's?

thanks.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    wheres a good spot to get decent prices on good CD-R's?

I've had good luck getting 100-disc spindles of those nice Taiyo Yuden CD-Rs from emediadepot.com. They run some pretty nice sales at times.