best resource for finding a job?

pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
edited September 2007 in Strut Central
What else is there besides monster, career builder, or craigs list?

Comments

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,900 Posts

Who do you know?

• marumaru 1,450 Posts

Who do you know?

who do they know?

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,900 Posts

Who do you know?

who do they know?

Indeed...

• im looking for a job out in new jersey or nyc so i dont really know anyone out there yet.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I'm going to suggest temp agenices as I had a really good experience and when I was first thinking of using one, I heard really good feedback from others who had used them.

Not sure what field you're in, as temp agencies are really good for some things and not so much for others. If you find a good one and even better, one that specializes in your field (there are temp agencies that do more than hire for accounting and medical administration), it's a good way for you to explore what's out there. You get the option of moving on in three or so months or if everything is working out, to stay longer. It works both ways, they test you out and you get to see what they have to offer and what the position entails.

• Hotjobs.com
    NY Times.com

and indeed.com searches them all at once for you.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I agree with Bassie. I'm using a staffing/temp agency as we speak. If you got any sort of specified knowledge of a field, than you can get a job rather quickly, whether it's temporary, temp to hire, part-time, or full-time (but it depends on what the staffing agency specializes in).

So much better than going through Monster or Careerbuilder on your own. I'd say more than half the jobs listed go through a staffing agency anyway (at least in my field of accounting), so it's a win-win to just go online or in person and register with one or two agencies. They'll give you a call when they find something, and they'll send the resume for you. On top of this, you could do your own searches. You're almost guaranteed to land something within a couple months (if you got some specialized skillz).

im looking for a job out in new jersey or nyc so i dont really know anyone out there yet.

Weren't you a big music guy? (sorry if I'm wrong). Maybe you could talk to all the hot shot record producers, music people that roll through Good Records and talk to 'em.

• ha i wish. Nah im a recording engineer that works with NPR radio doing field recordings and on air broadcasts. I do audio editing and production for broadcast also. Ive also worked in television as a production assistant/cameraman. I have a associates in music recording technology. Other then that I dj and do production work in my spare time.

Ive been finding radio work on these career sites but a lot of it is more on air positions which i do once and a while, but hate with a passion. Ill check out these staffing agencies though. Im really trying to move out of PA and get to NJ with the quickness.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    If you do tech or design work you should also check http://jobs.lifehacker.com/ they have some interesting stuff up most of the time.

ha i wish. Nah im a recording engineer that works with NPR radio doing field recordings and on air broadcasts. I do audio editing and production for broadcast also. Ive also worked in television as a production assistant/cameraman. I have a associates in music recording technology. Other then that I dj and do production work in my spare time.

Ive been finding radio work on these career sites but a lot of it is more on air positions which i do once and a while, but hate with a passion. Ill check out these staffing agencies though. Im really trying to move out of PA and get to NJ with the quickness.

Sounds like you have some specialized knowledge there. Good luck with everything. The resources are out there, you just gotta stay proactive and stay hopeful. Trust me, I've been there. And I don't think it'll hurt if you have a back-up plan as well. Good luck man!