so was it true?

2»

Comments

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    You need that egotrip article "Hunk Of Burning Cross", it's hilarious.

• lotuslandlotusland 740 Posts
    no it was obviously a smear. elvis was defo in the same league as dan penn and spooner oldham, rocking it side by side with black folks since day one.

and i think that chuck d was just looking for a giant idol to smash as well,for effect. i hear that chuck later realised it was a false quote and took it back, my nerdy friend told me this, and i trusss it. if i see him today i'll try to get back to this post with some specifics.

elvis sun sessions lp is a very good comp of classics from the man. fuck the old fat elvis, his early recordings from sun were so atmospheric that they should've credited the reverb unit and microphones on the record instead of the vocalist. good for hot weather and zoning out.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    When I saw James Brown, and he was doing his "moment of silence thing", he says, "a moment of silence for.... Elvis Presley!" Guy next to me says "I ain't giving Elvis a fuckin moment of silence".

I think Dan and Spooner, as sidemen and song writers, did more to lift up R&B singers than Elvis.

One nasty thing that Elvis (Col Tom Parker) did was to make songwriters give up half of songwriting in exchange for having Elvis record their song. Elvis recorded a slew of songs written by Otis Blackwell including Don't Be Cruel and All Shook Up. Elvis has his name as co-writer but in fact did nothing to write them (or any other song as far as I know). In fact if hear the original demos you can hear that Elvis was biting Otis' style.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    and i think that chuck d was just looking for a giant idol to smash as well,for effect. i hear that chuck later realised it was a false quote and took it back.

I believe this as well. That quote definitely was a well known rumor in the black community, I heard my mom say it many times as a child. But as far as I know it's just an urban legend. I think Chuck just wanted to stir things up and get people talking. Unfortunately it kinda got lost in the shuffle when the Griff scandal exploded.

• telescopic ladders are the hottest shit out there.

Brother you don't even know the HALF.

whoah, does this tie into that CRAZY uninhibited night you once had after that big gig?

Which one dude? Seriously though...

I picture Cos on the top of a roof in philly screaming

"I am a golden dj god"

As the crowd erupts.

• emyndemynd 830 Posts

Seriously like, keep one of these in the trunk of your car, just in case you have to climb something. That's what I used to do.

Please provide story where ladder was put to use.

-e

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I do realize that a lot of race posts here get bad and if this starts shit I apologize ahead of time. But I think this is going to be pretty tame (At least I hope it will be)

about the only things wrong with this thread are all the "ladder" posts fucking up the momentum - otherwise, interesting stuff

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I do realize that a lot of race posts here get bad and if this starts shit I apologize ahead of time. But I think this is going to be pretty tame (At least I hope it will be)

about the only things wrong with this thread are all the "ladder" posts fucking up the momentum - otherwise, interesting stuff

• Salary_DizSalary_Diz 735 Posts
    I seem to remember Chuck having something on his site where he basically took back the comment in one of his articles.

There will never be an artist as big as elvis again, thats for damn sure.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

Great ladder pictures with Elvis.

• Options
    er would've shined his shoes (I did buy a few copies of his "A Little Less Conversation" and the other one with the braek too, though).
    But I'm not really concerned about that underage girl banger right now. I am intrigued by that ladder. Tell us more about it, what it dew?

It's a telescopic ladder that goes up to like 16 feet! It's incredible. Costs a couple hundred, but that was when it came out. You can cop them at Home Depot.

Seriously like, keep one of these in the trunk of your car, just in case you have to climb something. That's what I used to do

Don't front on the Little Giant either.

This thing is serious. The telescopic is nice too don't get me wrong, but this joint can go fully extended to 19 feet, or fold into a stepladder. You can even break it down into two seperate stepladders to make a scaffold. For real...the Little Giant, endorsed by Sween.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Yeah I was checking for that Little Giant Ladder a while ago. The TV show that he has is pretty good, when they show the people standing on the ladder and all, pretty decent.

• Options
    Yeah I was checking for that Little Giant Ladder a while ago. The TV show that he has is pretty good, when they show the people standing on the ladder and all, pretty decent.

We picked two up for Fathers Day, one for my pops and one for my sisters house. Dopeness, I was running all over my sisters roof. Take a ride out to Long Isle, we'll go ascend things at awkward angles.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    That sounds okay, I can bring my extender and then we can also use the Little Giant.