david cronenberg

edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
edited September 2007 in Strut Central
i'm kinda embarassed to say that i love dude's movies (file under favorite canadians; guilty pleasure) cuz they are high production trash. i was at my friend's house watching bad tv and the trailer for his new flick came on and it looks like firei think i'm the only one i know who liked "a history of violence" a lot despite the laughable sex scenes and corny one liners. "dad are you gonna 'wack me'?" that scene where viggo faces off the hitmen on his suburban front lawn is so fucked up and hilarious at the same time. ROCK YOU IN YOUR FACE STAB YOUR BRAIN WITH YOUR NOSEBONEvideodrome is my shitscanners tooHAHAHA! i love this scene

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I liked "History of Violence".

Maria Bello in a cheerleader's uniform =

As was Viggo killing everybody in sight.

Plus William Hurt cameo?

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    My opinion only:

I thought AHoV was decidedly overrated by critics. I remember thinking that the movie was a CRONENBERG FEATURE first and an adaptation second; not nearly as true to the graphic novel as I'd hoped (although, given its size...). The Hurt cameo, especially, reminded me of a syndicated WGN TV mobster stereotype bit on a Saturday late-afternoon movie. I just haven't seen enough Cronenberg films to make sweeping judgements about the man or his corpus, but I am of the opinion that his cult goes before him, for better or for worse.

I see him as a more mainstream, Canadian, Peter Greenaway ('80s era overlap + pure shock value). Is any of this criticism fair?

• I see him as a more mainstream Canadian Peter Greenaway ('80s era overlap + pure shock value). Is any of this criticism fair?

good call! i agree. his movies have been 80s for a few decades. funny he hasn't evolved much in terms of modern filmmaking, but i'm a sucker for his formula. quiet suburbia, images of kids sleeping, someone pouring a cup of coffee in a diner, just images of everyday people. and then all of a sudden some guy's brains are exposed and i'm covering my eyes with my hands. i love the special effects though. he is one of the few the uses old school blood packets (squibs?) during an era of cgi bloodbaths. and i love howard shore's scores for his flick, even though they aren't too memorable outside of the silverscreen, they are perfect for his movies.

i'm gonna admit that i liked eXistenZ a lot because it was around the time i was deep into resident evil 2 so this role playing video game movie was so entertaining. willem dafoe killed it.

i still can't watch naked lunch though. that movie scares the hell out of me.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,898 Posts
    I like his style but for me his films meander too much. His beer isn't that good either.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Have you seen Nightbreed, the film that
    Cronenberg plays a psychotic psychiatrist in?
    It's a Clive Barker thing, and I am so not into
    him, but always liked this movie. Cronenberg's
    character totally creeps me out.

I always ride for Videodrome. I laughed when you
    said he's been making 80's films for 2 decades, it's
    true, but Videodrome was fresh in the 80's and really
    stood out as a neo-sleaze art-trash mindfuck.

I liked eXistenZ too.

Haven't seen aHoV yet, always meant too, if only for the
    cast - wasn't sure what the Cronenberg factor would be.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Have you seen Nightbreed, the film that
    Cronenberg plays a psychotic psychiatrist in?
    It's a Clive Barker thing, and I am so not into
    him, but always liked this movie. Cronenberg's
    character totally creeps me out.

I always ride for Videodrome. I laughed when you
    said he's been making 80's films for 2 decades, it's
    true, but Videodrome was fresh in the 80's and really

I liked eXistenZ too.

Haven't seen aHoV yet, always meant too, if only for the
    cast - wasn't sure what the Cronenberg factor would be.

Indeed Cronenberg is truly creepy in Nightbreed.

I really liked AHOV, haven't read the graphic novel (apparently Cronenberg didn't either) but as a film in it's own right I thoroughly enjoyed it and it was possibly one of my favourite films of the year despite it's faults.

I actually watched Naked Lunch the other day again and found it far less gruelling than I remembered, probably as I wasn't 16 and stoned out of my brains this time round. Love Videodrome as James Woods is a legend in my book.

Honourable mention to the Fly but I really liked his late seventies/early eighties body horror films like Scanners, Rabid, The Brood and, my favourite, Shivers. How can you hate on a film that has a slithering phallic turd as its monster?

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    the working man's david lynch
    i celebrate dude's entire catalog
    no one mentioned the brood

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    DEAD RINGERS

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,917 Posts
    THE DEAD ZONE

• the working man's david lynch
    i celebrate dude's entire catalog
    no one mentioned the brood SHIVERS

I'm a fan of dude. I thought AHoV was the shit.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    The more I think about it, the more I think A History of Violence is one of the best films of the past 10 yrs.

eXistenZ is the only film of his I can't really get into.

Oliver Reed (RIP) is amazing in The Brood!!

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    I'm surprised this thread isn't more gung-ho about the dude.

No mention of Rabid, Shivers, The Fly, Dead Ringers, Naked Lunch? Jesus, the man is a genius. I always love any interviews with him I can get my hands on too.

• I'm surprised this thread isn't more gung-ho about the dude.

No mention of Rabid, Shivers, The Fly, Dead Ringers, Naked Lunch?

Actually, those were all mentioned.

And AHoV was

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    I'm surprised this thread isn't more gung-ho about the dude.

No mention of Rabid, Shivers, The Fly, Dead Ringers, Naked Lunch?

Actually, those were all mentioned.

And AHoV was

I'm late. Too slow.

• eXistenZ is the only film of his I can't really get into.

really? i saw this in the theater when a movie i meant to see was sold out. i had no idea it was cronenberg and then all this weird shit started happening with video games being animals. and there were spores. and it was ultra violent. and jennifer jason leigh was being weirder than usual. i love eXistenZ.

the only movies of his i can't sit through is Spider and Crash

Dear Ringers is definitely up there as my all time favorites. Videodrome is my favorite by a mile though, which is weird because i don't like James Woods.

i don't like James Woods.

I thought everybody liked James Woods?

I don't know what it was that didn't grab me - the fleshy special effects, the weird earnest acting (which he can usually direct), the stiff and awkward sexiness (again, which usually work well in Cronenberg films). I may have to revisit it.

Oh yea, Spider. I forgot about that one, probably because it is so forgettable. That one was really disappointing.
    (Slightly unrelated - while Ralph Fiennes is not the type I usually find attractive - dude's nude scene in Red Dragon was highly impressive.)

Dead Ringers is fantastic - the mood is so well done. When he unrolls those customized surgical instruments - pure chills.

I don't like him either.

I don't what it was that didn't grab me - the fleshy special effects, the weird earnest acting (which he can usually direct), the stiff and awkward sexiness (again, which usually work well in Cronenberg films). I may have to revisit it.

Oh yea, Spider. I forgot about that one, probably because it is so forgettable. That one was really disappointing.
    (Slightly unrelated - while Ralph Fiennes is not the type I usually find attractive - dude's nude scene in Red Dragon was highly impressive.)

Dead Ringers is fantastic - the mood is so well done. When he unrolls those customized surgical instruments - pure chills.

I never really got into existenz, it felt like too much like he was retreading ground covered in Videodrome without the seedier aspects. In fact, I'd kind of lost interest in his films after Naked Lunch until AHOV came out.

One I don't think mentioned so far is M. Butterfly which continued his themes of the self/id etc and used Cronenberg's detached style to beautiful effect. I have a real hard time watching Jeremy Irons in anything though which is a shame (ironically Dead Ringers is one of the few films I truly appreciate him in).

I don't like him either.

I stand corrected.

I don't like him either.

I stand corrected.

I agree with you about J Irons, too, but what I don't like about him made him perfect for Dead Ringers.

• i don't like James Woods.

I don't like him either.

I stand corrected.

I agree with you about J Irons, too, but what I don't like about him made him perfect for Dead Ringers.

that's exactly how i feel about James Woods in Videodrome

I don't like him either.

I stand corrected.

Aha. I guess this would be exactly the same thing I feel about Richard Gere in Internal Affairs.

• He's very hit or miss to me, but even his misses tend to be fascinating. I just got tickets for the new one, Eastern Promises.

• Videodrome was fresh in the 80's and really

i have no idea what you're talking about

I don't like him either.

I stand corrected.

Aha. I guess this would be exactly the same thing I feel about Richard Gere in Internal Affairs.

Which was, in turn, what made him perfect for American Gigolo. His ability for playing amoral sleazebags is a talent that remains largely untapped.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

I don't like him either.

I stand corrected.

Which was, in turn, what made him perfect for American Gigolo. His ability for playing amoral sleazebags is a talent that remains largely untapped.

Tom Cruise has this on lock.

I don't like him either.

I stand corrected.

Tom Cruise has this on lock.

He's certainly done a few impressive turns of that nature in recent times, but I think a lot of that is down to him being cast against type somewhat. Gere went down a similar "classic Leading Man" route after starting out as a pimp in Looking For Mr Goodbar but, for me, his best roles have been those where he's played some sort of slimeball.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    cronenberg rocks

I always thought The Hidden was cronenberg until two seconds ago

Still a good movie. cronenbergish

• cronenberg shreds.

HELLO THE FLY?!?!?!

I did not like Dead Zone. Boring.