At what temperature do records start to warp?

MikeFreedomRockMikeFreedomRock 306 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
I've been living without air conditioning for about a week. It's steadily 87F in my apartment, so fucking hot. Is this dangerous for my records? They're not in direct sunlight, but they must be a little toasty. Should I start thinking of an evacuation strategy?

Comments

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    make sure they are packed tight and out of direct sunlight... you should be okay until about 100 degrees or so...

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I've been living without air conditioning for about a week. It's steadily 87F in my apartment, so fucking hot. Is this dangerous for my records? They're not in direct sunlight, but they must be a little toasty. Should I start thinking of an evacuation strategy?

I don't think you have a problem.

I lived for years in an apartment in Atlanta without AC and never noticed significant warping. As long as they're out of the sunlight, ambient temperatures of under 100 shouldn't cause a problem.

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
    man you can push way over 100 as long as the lp's aren't in direct sunlight. That's the real killer right there.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    what about dynaflex though? those shits have got to start warping at like 85

• OK, thanks. I feel like I'm about to warp, but I guess the records will be ok.

• Don't worry, I put the dynaflex in the fridge

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    OK, thanks. I feel like I'm about to warp, but I guess the records will be ok.

If you want to bring a Madhubuti and come chill in the A/C, holler. I got the Bad Brains ROIR Tapes on 10 right now. As schnipper would say, "it's chill."

• catchdubscatchdubs 492 Posts
    As schnipper would say, "it's chill."

so real

• Voms72Voms72 18 Posts
    I spun some records at a surfing comp shaded by a stilted tarp. As the afternoon sun came down on angle at 3pm the sun melted both records on the turntables within 30 secs, one whilst playing. Temp that day 31c-92f but at direct sunlight who knows?

• schnipperschnipper 528 Posts
    As schnipper would say, "it's chill."

so real

real chill

-

The only record I ever warped was the Man is the Bastard/Mumia Abu-Jamal split LP that I brought into my high school to play for the Human Rights Group I used to run. I then organized a trip to the big protest that happened in Philly for him about six years ago but my parents wouldn't let me go.

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    What about flexidiscs though man.

Doesn't seem to matter what temperature it is, those things are all over the place!!!