thank you/fuck you [really long & wedding-related]

2»

Comments

• dmacdmac 472 Posts
    these people suck. if you weren't actually playing something from their playlist then they would have reason, but they sound like a family of jackasses that probably has problems like this all the time with everyone. eff em.

I played as much of their playlist as I could but I didn't play ONLY from their playlist; I'm a DJ, not an iPod. I make it very clear with all of my clients that I use their playlist as a starting point and that I'll supply the tunes to hold everything together.
    You can't go from a 100 to 124 bpm without finding the segue tracks to get you there.

• my 2 cents:

- don't take it personal. its a wedding gig, you weren't opening for jay-z at madison square garden. 99% of the people there have no clue about djing or what makes a dj good, and half the people won't even remember if there was a dj.

- don't burn any bridges. you never know who can help you or hurt you down the road. if anything, i'd send an email trying to smooth things over and telling them about all the hours you put in trying to make sure everything went as they asked.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    I DJ at a hotel in Soho, and I'm usually the go-to dude for special events there. fashion stuff...corporate parties...ect. they asked me to do a wedding, and i figured i'd do it. i needed the money. my experience was EXACTLY like yours, only when the mother complained to my boss. he FIRED me.

I HATE THESE PEOPLE!

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    hey, not to threadjack darryl, buut ... if people want to send little complimentary emails to my boss to try and help me get my job back, i'd appreciate it. anyone down?

bryan at kittichairestaurant.com

just something saying you loved the saturday night dj, and youre disappointed he will not be there anymore. thanks in advance.

here's a letter i wrote to the management. (the hotel was supposed to have a mic, but put that on me to make themselves look better)

To the Management Staff at 60 Thompson:

I recieved a call the other evening from Bryan regarding my
    termination as a DJ at Thom Bar. I must say, I was rather surprised,
    but listened to the reasons I was given with open ears and took heed.
    Now that I have had a few days to absorb what happened and view things
    in retrospect, I'd like to offer up my response.

I have been playing weekly at Thom Bar for approximately a year, and
    in this time I've learned what is appropriate. I've also learned how
    to deal with requests of the clientelle, which frequently borderlines
    harassment. I have always kept my head and been professional, as I'm
    sure Bryan and Evan can attest. I must admit I have become more surly,
    and I really wish this was not the case. A jaded DJ is not always as
    focused and energetic as they should be.

On my behalf, I have had customers approach me weekly telling me what
    a fine job I do, and praise my taste and skill. This kind of thing not
    only brings descerning taste back week after week, but it keeps people
    there longer. I was asked to play the New Years Eve party, Special
    events, and the company Christmas party, which should say something
    about my talent and work ethic. I should also mention that I was
    punctual 100% of the time, and in the case of private parties, usually
    arrived early.

When I was given the list of music requested by the party, it was
    sparse. All in all, about an hours worth of music. Some of it,
    admittedly, i did not have. To make matters more difficult, the list
    was of artists, not songs. That leaves a lot up for interpretation.
    For instance: What Stevie Wonder song was it I was supposed to play? I
    believe the customers expected me to have a microphone as well. I was
    never given this information. These are not excuses for doing a poor
    job, but they do represent a lack of preparation for which I am not
    the sole culprit.

I really enjoyed my stint of employment at Thom Bar and thought it
    might become you and your other staff to know the details.

• i deal with owners and promoters and they care about losing business, and thats about it. if you can get a lot of people to email on your behalf they will start to worry about losing customers, or having a bad rep. i will send one.

but...i think the letter was a bad idea. it makes you sound desperate when you'd rather them think you have 5 residencies in your pocket and they fucked up by letting you go.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    i pull about $15, 000 a year out of there a year, and work 3-4 hours a week. i want that job back.

• "My wife is the only person in the room who wants to hear that song," he says

This alone screams "divorce" to me. What groom doesn't want his new wife to hear the song she wants on her wedding night?

• dmacdmac 472 Posts
    "My wife is the only person in the room who wants to hear that song," he says

This alone screams "divorce" to me. What groom doesn't want his new wife to hear the song she wants on her wedding night?

Inconversation with me that night dude dismissed his wife's song choice(s) and his new mother-in-law altogether. Yeah, this marriage ain't gonna last.

• dmacdmac 472 Posts
    One thing to remember about weddings is that everyone is so damn high strung. People put waaaaaay too much into it and it's never good enough. Whatever happened to just celebrating 2 people's love for each other?!

I've played/attended weddings where it was obvious the bride & groom were just crazy about each other and everything was beautiful. Families were psyched and the day felt like a massive loved-up party.

This was the first time where everything just felt wrong[/b].

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    these people suck. if you weren't actually playing something from their playlist then they would have reason, but they sound like a family of jackasses that probably has problems like this all the time with everyone. eff em.

I played as much of their playlist as I could but I didn't play ONLY from their playlist; I'm a DJ, not an iPod. I make it very clear with all of my clients that I use their playlist as a starting point and that I'll supply the tunes to hold everything together.
    You can't go from a 100 to 124 bpm without finding the segue tracks to get you there.

Do people at a wedding really notice/care about a 24BPM increase between songs (unless this is a Soulstrut wedding)?

• People shouldn't notice the bpms if they're having a damn good time, the wedding I did over the weekend was a blast. They were there to celebrate and happy to be drunk with friends and family. It was the kind of wedding that went from "beat it" to "cherry, cherry" to "shook me all night long" and everyone was dancing there asses off. By far the most fun I've had at a wedding this year, not to mention the bride and groom got me rather toasted.......ahhhhhh, I play music, drink, eat, and then get paid, excellent.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Bummer about your night. You sound very professional. The typical Soulstrut dj rant is about how the dj is too much of an artist to play the music people want to hear.

I think a big lesson was that you need to designate one person to compile (or funnel) the set list, transitions and that stuff to you. "Just give all your requests and when you want them played to the wedding planner." Then when they complain tell them to talk to the wedding planner, or who ever is the one go to person.

Clearly the bride, groom, grooms brother and mother of the bride all hate each other and have no respect for anyone but themselves.

My wife and I realized early that our wedding reception was going to be my mother-inlaw's party. We designed the wedding ceremony ourselves and let her do the party. She did get the song she wanted played for the bride's entrance. We wanted Simple Gifts, which I found out later she does not like. The musicians came to me just before the ceremony and said they didn't have the music for Simple Gifts (which I had given to my mother-inlaw and which I have no doubt they could have played with out the sheet music) how about Amazing Grace. Fine. My wife still thinks it was a mix up, but I know my mother-inlaw did it. The band also asked me half way through the reception if there were any songs I wanted to hear. Turned out they didn't have any of the requests we had given my mother-inlaw. Wasn't a problem, I mentioned a few songs, they played them. My inlaws paid a fortune for that reception and everyone was pleased as punch.

By the way it was a big Baltimore wedding and Zim Zimmeral's big band did the music. I found a great Navy Band record a few years ago from the 80s. The female singer was so great I did a web search for her and found out she sang at our wedding.

Delay, it is the job of the manager to protect his employees from out of control patrons. That guy who fired you will end up with a worthless ever changing staff if he fires everyone some clueless ass complains about.

• People shouldn't notice the bpms if they're having a damn good time, the wedding I did over the weekend was a blast. They were there to celebrate and happy to be drunk with friends and family. It was the kind of wedding that went from "beat it" to "cherry, cherry" to "shook me all night long" and everyone was dancing there asses off. By far the most fun I've had at a wedding this year, not to mention the bride and groom got me rather toasted.......ahhhhhh, I play music, drink, eat, and then get paid, excellent.

Yeah man, that's the way it's supposed to be. I dj'd a wedding this weekend that was fun as hell. Used Microwave for the first time and it made things soooo much easier. I could handle just about any request, and thankfully they weren't too bad. I played that Mr. Sandman remix and shit was off the hook after that.

I think the big lesson learned here is that very early on you need to nail everything down with the bride and groom. Know exactly what you'r going to be dealing with.. ask them where their friends and relatives are coming from and what they're into. Demand a list of must-have tunes well in advance. Insist on a schedule so you know what's coming. This couple warned me that they had this weird uncle that was really into the Twist so that I could have some tunes on hand (turned out he's now obsessed with swing dancing and would only swing to KC & The Sunshine Band !?)

Anyways, D-Mac, you ended up with a bunch of miserable fucks who probably couldn't have a good time if they wanted to. The fact that they blamed you for ruining their night is bullshit and a dj's worst nightmare. Try to just erase them from your memory and know that most people aren't like them.

And if it's still bugging you in a couple weeks then send them a shit sandwich. But have it hand delivered by a courier to their job, wrapped up as if it were a present.

• SLurgSLurg 446 Posts

...at a wedding ?!!?

• dmacdmac 472 Posts

...at a wedding ?!!?

You'd be surprised at how well-received beatmatching can be at a wedding. Nothing too crazy, just some smooth transitions.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    with this type of the couple by the time you pen your letter, they will have more than likely broken up, let it go, seriously do you think for a second they will ever learn? they will probably blame you in their fucked up take on the world> spend the energy you were going to doing something positive for yourself

• i pull about $15, 000 a year out of there a year, and work 3-4 hours a week. i want that job back.

i hear you and wrote an email for the cause yesterday. good luck!

• dmacdmac 472 Posts
    hey, not to threadjack darryl, buut ... if people want to send little complimentary emails to my boss to try and help me get my job back, i'd appreciate it. anyone down?

No problem, Tom. $15k is a lot of money. And if this thread tangentally helps, I'm all for it.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Rick Astley

The magic words: "This song is a request from the happy couple." Boom. You're off the hook. Also, get to the real question marks right away (before the mood is established) or much later in the night. Like after a few drunken toasts have occurred and/or the party is generally too sloshed to care or remember.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Rick Astley

The magic words: "This song is a request from the happy couple." Boom. You're off the hook. Also, get to the real question marks right away (before the mood is established) or much later in the night. Like after a few drunken toasts have occurred and/or the party is generally too sloshed to care or remember.

This brings up a good point....how many of you guys who do weddings actually MC the event like that? I have done announcements, etc, introduced the wedding party, but how many of you actually get on the mic and try to hype the party?
    I will go on record as admitting I am not a hype MC when it comes to weddings.

• TNGTNG 234 Posts
    The best part of this whole post is the not one, but two mentions of Rick Astley. Dude got more play that night than all other world markets combined.

ASCAP?

• dmacdmac 472 Posts
    Rick Astley

This brings up a good point....how many of you guys who do weddings actually MC the event like that? I have done announcements, etc, introduced the wedding party, but how many of you actually get on the mic and try to hype the party?
    I will go on record as admitting I am not a hype MC when it comes to weddings.

Just about all of the folks I work with ask specifically for a minimum of mic-rocking. Which suits me fine as I am too focussed on selection/mixing to rock the mic.

Excellent point about getting off the bad song hook. Something for the rule book. Of course, higher up the list is the addition of the "Don't work with any assholes who request floor-clearing music I have to apologize for," followed by, "unless it is too late already. If so, talk them out of it."