ipod question ... please help

ArtichokeArtichoke 112 Posts
edited September 2007 in Strut Central
hypothetically speaking. If you connect to i-tunes to get artwork for mp3s that you did not officially purchase do they keep logs or trace you?If you want to get artwork you already have in an mp3 folder to show up on your i-pod what size format etc do you have to make it so it shows up?

Comments

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    hypothetically speaking.
    If you connect to i-tunes to get artwork for mp3s that you did not officially purchase do they keep logs or trace you?

If you want to get artwork you already have in an mp3 folder to show up on your i-pod what size format etc do you have to make it so it shows up?

As far as I know, any .jpg will work at any size. A gigantic file might just take a little while for the image to show up on your iPod before it loads the album or song. I'm guessing all .tif, .gif, and .bmp files will work as well, because I know I've got some of those floating around in there somewhere.

It would be a waste of time for Apple, a device vendor and internet music storefront, to track and act on anything that you haven't purchased from them (meaning namely - what you seem to be worried about - report it to the RIAA). No one can prove that you didn't buy a CD at some time in the past, convert it into mp3s, and sell it off to a used CD store. I have never bought a single mp3 on the internet, but I do have hundreds of CDs and thousands of 78s, LPs, and 45s that I can legally convert into mp3s. I'm one of millions just like me. You see how this works? There's probably some sort of picture download log at Apple or CDDB or Gracenote (or whatever), but it would probably just be used for that company's bandwidth volume charts. I get my images from Amazon or Google Image Search, either way.

Honestly? Ask Alex Jones. He probably knows more about this whole tracing thing than I do.