movie-strut: 3:10 TO YUMA

mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
edited September 2007 in Strut Central
great acting, great adaptation, great overall movie: thumbs upjust took top spot at the box office and for good reason - superficially... there were good action sequences for the fellas and some sexy cowboys to get ladies to buy tickets tooluke wilson's cameo was the only doo doo parti think ben foster may finally get the shine he deserves after this role (but he looks pretty miserable giving this interview)

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I'm always happy when an old-style Western gets made
    and well-promoted by a big studio, but I may be too
    much a fan of the OG flick to appreciate this version.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    It looks pretty interesting. I personally can't wait to see Takashi miike's Django.

- spidey

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    This was an fantastic film to see at the theatres. I attempted to pay the extra dough to see it the deluxe directors theater, which includes first class reserved seating, and free food service to your seat.

I have not seen the OG film, which I'm glad I didn't because the plot would had been ruined. So please do not rent the original on this before going to see the new one.

The film was a great western that rivals the Unforgiven and Tombstone for western movies of the modern times. The soundtrack was rather bleak for this film, trying to steal sounds from Morricone. Why don't they get Morricone for these modern western films I don't know????

The acting was flawless, and great. Russell Crowe plays his usual charismatic self in this film. The scenes, and sets are presented very well and true to the era.

My date was expecting a usual "western" film. It was not. It was very tense with great actions scenes, sutle humor, with lots of guns blazing. The cloeseup shooting scenes are awesome in this film with emphasis on detail.

Enjoy it while you can at the theater, and not on your DVD player.

• a little bit of a threadjack, perhaps, but the best western i've seen recently was THE PROPOSITION, an australian fim set in the outback of frontier days, and with the script written by nick cave. hella-violent, but excellent mystical western all around.

• a little bit of a threadjack, perhaps, but the best western i've seen recently was THE PROPOSITION, an australian fim set in the outback of frontier days, and with the script written by nick cave. hella-violent, but excellent mystical western all around.

Yeah - I liked this as well. I think my fav western goes to Unforgiven still.

I'd like to check out 3:10 To Yuma this week.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Honestly not trying to be contrarian but I thought this movie sucked. I was kinda with it for most of the film but the last 20 min or so I thought fell apart in a big way. I don't want to go into too much detail for those who haven't seen it but yeah the ending had me pissed. I didn't believe the characters toward the end at all, they didn't act like real people IMO.

This film is way too Hollywood to be compaired to Unforgiven, which is one of my favorite movies ever.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,900 Posts
    It looks pretty interesting. I personally can't wait to see Takashi miike's Django.

- spidey

I wanna see this also. But, I watched a trailer which seemed like it was dubbed in English. It was pretty silly. While the movie looked interesting. The dub over sucked... IMO

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    Honestly not trying to be contrarian but I thought this movie sucked. I was kinda with it for most of the film but the last 20 min or so I thought fell apart in a big way. I don't want to go into too much detail for those who haven't seen it but yeah the ending had me pissed. I didn't believe the characters toward the end at all, they didn't act like real people IMO.

This film is way too Hollywood to be compaired to Unforgiven, which is one of my favorite movies ever.

the two friends i saw this movie with felt the same way, as in they enjoyed the majority of the movie until the end.
    spoilers...

i suppose they could have made the finale less cinematic, but there's no other way that movie could have ended (and not just because it's an adaptation of a previously made film). the entire story led to ben wade being won over to the good side by bale's character. he had a line just before the indians attacked to the effect of... "once you do a good deed for someone, it becomes addictive." the movie basically tracked the story of ben's "softening." also, wade emphasized at the end that going to yuma wouldn't be a big deal for him since he had already escaped from there twice.
    the superficial action and plot, along with the deeper, more symbolic messages, and the overall quality of the adapation of an essentially dead genre make this a great film in my book.