An emaiil from Grandmom...

RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
edited September 2007 in Strut Central
Dear Ray: Last night on Fox 29TV there was a segment on earning money by selling records. It featured Princeton Record Exchange, in Princton, NJ They have 66,000 records in the store. The highest demand is Modern Jazz, Blue Note Label and anything by the Beatles. They buy lps, cds and 45s - but no 8 tracks. Do you know about this store? Just passing on info. Love, Grandmom
Grandmoms are the best... she supported me through Temple... quit her job to watch Ray Jr and to allow my wife to go to college... defends you no matter how wrong you are... bought me all the wrong sugary cereals when I was small... let me used the Accord... gave me any record I wanted... let me cut up the album cover "Places and Spaces" by Dr Donald Byrd to create a slipmat to scratch on her turntable that was not meant for scratching... came and took me out of school and never told my mother... attempted to kidnap me with my dad as I was real sick and my mom didnt believe in taking me to the hospital as she felt I was not sick enough... some other things that she might get in trouble for if the world knew...

Comments

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    to grandmaS!
    got one left, and i love her to death.

• That's awesome.

I miss my grandparents. All of 'em.

Grandma Helen used to rock leather pants and drive expensive Jaguars. She told us bedtime stories about the Crooked Ol' Man who lived in a Crooked Ol' House and had a Crooked Ol' Cane etc... Then my Mom would run in the room and stop her when she said he had a Crooked Ol' Wiener.

Grandpa Hermilo could only speak spanish and would get mad at us when we couldn't understand him. To prove how frustrated he was, he learned exactly 2 words in english: Fokin' beeeesh! One time my cousin and I decided to "camp out" in the back of his van. Next thing we know we wake up at 6am in the parking lot of the local Dunkin' Donuts. Grandpa came to the car and was like Fokin' beeeesh!. He drove all the way to the donut spot and didn't know we were sleepin' in the back!

Grandma 'Tonia once beat the shit out of me. Not to harm me, though. I was playing with my Hot Wheels and sat smack dab in the center of a black ant commune. She snatched me up and protected me from all the ants...by killing 'em ON me!

My other Grandpa? Fuck him. Punk ass woman-beating alcoholic bitch. I don't need to, care to or want to know you.

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts

My other Grandpa? Fuck him. Punk ass woman-beating alcoholic bitch. I don't need to, care to or want to know you.

I got one of those to Herm... he has Great Grand children that he has never met...

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    to grandmaS!
    got one left, and i love her to death.

mine is basically my mom. my hero.

• deLYSdeLYS 388 Posts
    I got a letter in my mailbox the other day from my memere with a newspaper article featuring a Joe Kubert museum exibhition here in Jersey. I had no idea about it, and it looked pretty cool w/ Tarzan and other old stuff of his. She makes the best shit to eat out of anyone I'm related too, and the only thing semblant in life today that still remains from my childhood is her home and the graham crackers she has in the kitchen, she always has graham crackers. I don't even know how to spell graham, but they are always there. Look at how ungrateful I am. I gotta pay attention to the box next time.

• deLYSdeLYS 388 Posts
    Oh yeah, and at the PREX right now you more likely to find 66,000 used dvds! Grandmom moves quicker than the news! The new arrivals been only knee high for awhile I don't even go down there anymore.

• ageage 1,131 Posts

I got one of those to Herm... he has Great Grand children that he has never met...

to that as well.

Bitch ass mark ass trick ass buster!

You sound like you have a very hip & cool grandmother.I lost one years ago, I still have one but gained one when I married.Both, two of the sweetest ladies i've ever come to know:)

The first and last time I was there was like 1993... it probably was a hot store then but I doubt I was up enough to appreciate it...

• RerogRerog 569 Posts
    I have lost both grandfathers and one grandmother. Still have 2 grandmothers left (thanks divorce!)!

One grandmother works at the local Christian Outreach center and hooks up the records at every B-Day and Christmas... We got her one of those record/CD/fm-am players for last christmas and she won't stop asking me to find her certain records from her youth. I think she is researching records harder than i am, but gifts have never been easier for her.

• this thread makes me want to call my grandma tomorrow.

• this thread makes me want to call my grandma tomorrow.

Yeah, Me too.

My Grandmom became a Great Grand Mom for the fifth time today! She called to make sure everyone got home from the hospital safely...

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    My Grandmom became a Great Grand Mom for the fifth time today! She called to make sure everyone got home from the hospital safely...

New addition to the fam, Ray??

• My grandmom is so tough. She is almost 93, she still cooks and does the laundry and dishes by hand. She is the toughest person I have ever met. She broke her back last year and never stopped walking. They injected the fracture with this cement stuff and now she is trucking along at full speed. Well for a 93 year old she is certainly kicking ass. Both of her parents lived well into their 90's so I just hope I got some of that DNA.

• Back in 94(freshman in high school) my Grandma saw how much I loved music and offered to buy me dj equipment as long as I thought I could make money. Prior to that my friend and I were using all sorts of home audio equipment, wired up in some insane manner to dj dances at the church in 8th grade. Little did grandma know that her purchase would lead to a very lucrative dj business, and help me afford life. So hell yes to grandmas, she still asks me to this day if I made money yet.

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    Damn, you got lucky. After my G-Ma kicked, we found all her correspondence with the Aryan Nation. No shit.

G-Pa said, "It was something that was close to her heart."

Naw... my cousin Greg and his girl Mo had a son Greg Jr... he was premature and weighed one pound or so... he passed away last night... he was too little... I never got a chance to see him and it still hurts...

Grandmom called me this morning crying about it... she never saw him either but she loved him...

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

Naw... my cousin Greg and his girl Mo had a son Greg Jr... he was premature and weighed one pound or so... he passed away last night... he was too little... I never got a chance to see him and it still hurts...

Grandmom called me this morning crying about it... she never saw him either but she loved him...

My condolences. I'm sorry to hear that, man.

My condolences. I'm sorry to hear that, man.

Thanks...

• dmacdmac 472 Posts
    this thread makes me want to call my grandma tomorrow.

Yeah, Me too.

I just found out last week my Grandma has cancer. Isolated in her bladder only, thank God, but if left alone could spread. Her sense of dignity often outweighs her sense of self-preservation and I fear she may opt out of surgery. Which means dying slowly and painfully instead of the minor life adjustment of an artificial bladder. She is 87 years old, a tough lady and probably the most beautiful person I've ever been blessed to know. [Damn, I got misty just typing that.]
    I'm not ready to say goodbye yet. So I gotta call her today and urge her to take care of herself and stick around. There's too much shit going down in my family for Grandma Betty to pass. Everyone needs her humor, rock-steady approach and moral fiber that comes with being 100% bonafide Polish Grandma.

That story about Grandmom buying you DJ gear is awesome.
    Grandma Betty once asked me "Daryle, what is this 'funk music' you like so much?" That lead to a fun conversation. Off-the-cuff music theory to keep her interested and make me look like I knew what I was talking about.

• My granny passed away in April, she died of brain cancer. I hadn't seen her in years but I did get the chance to fly out and see her for a few days in late feb. She could still talk at this point so I got to hear some cool stories and tell her how much I loved her.

She was mormon as are most of my distant relatives, and my immediate family, We're more or less the black sheep to them I think. Anyways, I told her to say hello to my grand dad who died when I was 5 but I had a special connection to him for some reason and always felt he was watching over me. I told her to tell him to keep watching, tell him I love him, that I would miss her and to enjoy the ride!

I asked some folks before hand if they thought it would be weird for me to send a message with her and tell her to enjoy the ride. Some people did. The mormons are heavily into the afterlife and believe they are reunited with all their loved ones. I'm not very spirtual, I don't believe in god but I do believe in ghosts and aliens, so I guess to some degree I believe in an afterlife as well. I talked to my dad about it we both agreed to do it together, he said he was thinking the same thing. I think it meant a lot to her.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    My granny passed away in April, she died of brain cancer. I hadn't seen her in years but I did get the chance to fly out and see her for a few days in late feb. She could still talk at this point so I got to hear some cool stories and tell her how much I loved her.

She was mormon as are most of my distant relatives, and my immediate family, We're more or less the black sheep to them I think. Anyways, I told her to say hello to my grand dad who died when I was 5 but I had a special connection to him for some reason and always felt he was watching over me. I told her to tell him to keep watching, tell him I love him, that I would miss her and to enjoy the ride!

I asked some folks before hand if they thought it would be weird for me to send a message with her and tell her to enjoy the ride. Some people did. The mormons are heavily into the afterlife and believe they are reunited with all their loved ones. I'm not very spirtual, I don't believe in god but I do believe in ghosts and aliens, so I guess to some degree I believe in an afterlife as well. I talked to my dad about it we both agreed to do it together, he said he was thinking the same thing. I think it meant a lot to her.

I like your perspective and outlook. i think this is a great way to deal with grieving.

I still worry time to time about my grandmother and how much longer she has. She is only 64 but breast cancer worries the hell out of me. She just finished her chemo and now they talk of pills and radiation.

And I'd like to thank Day and all those others who got sent me their thoughts for my grandma at that time.

Man...it is soooooo hard to see your hero in so much pain.