Mark Ronson Smiths cover

djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
edited September 2007 in Strut Central
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>I kinda love this.why can't I ever embed?? Someone else do it please.

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Anna,

I thought this was the worst cover on "Version" but maybe that's because I think covering the Smiths requires someone to be even more ironic than Morrissey is already.

Maybe if they had done "Girlfriend in a Coma" instead....

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    Anna,

I thought this was the worst cover on "Version" but maybe that's because I think covering the Smiths requires someone to be even more ironic than Morrissey is already.

really? I haven't heard the record. I just saw this video on MTV and I was feeling it.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    This has been a club staple over here (UK) for some time now. If you're drunk, and not a fan of the usual indy-shite played with more enthusiasm than talent that's so right now*, it's a refreshingly good piece of music to brokk-out to.

And that's from some one who doesn't like the Smiths. Particularly Morrisey.

*copyright Zoolander

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Anna,

really? I haven't heard the record. I just saw this video on MTV and I was feeling it.

When did they start showing videos on MTV again?

• Anna,

When did they start showing videos on MTV again?

that's the zing that's been around for the past 10 years!

• Ronson is the featured artist all week on MTV. he gets little 30 second clips as the credits rool and he's inbetween all the commercials and shows. It's great exposure for artists. I feel a little uncomfortable watching some of his because half the time he is standing there not doing anything. Being a dj/producer does not always translate visually. That's great he's getting all that airtime though.

Who is the guy who sings that Smiths cover. Is he famous? He looks like one the guys from The WB's making the band.

• dmacdmac 472 Posts
    Who is the guy who sings that Smiths cover. Is he famous? He looks like one the guys from The WB's making the band.

That's Daniel Merriweather, Australian blue-eyed soul dude: http://www.myspace.com/danielmerriweather

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    Ronson is the featured artist all week on MTV. he gets little 30 second clips as the credits rool and he's inbetween all the commercials and shows. It's great exposure for artists. I feel a little uncomfortable watching some of his because half the time he is standing there not doing anything. Being a dj/producer does not always translate visually. That's great he's getting all that airtime though.

Yes, I saw clips all week and then when I turned the TV on at 6:30am they were playing the video during the "Video Wake-Up" where they actually play videos!

• Anna,

I agree with what you're saying, O. Did you mean 'iconic' for Morrisey, though?

The interpretation of Morrissey's lyrics are bad, too. The entire song revolves around "Who said I lied to her" -- that's where the story comes from. That line has to be delivered and the Aussie guy doesn't get it.

I think Ronson has updated the song nicely, and the "Keep Me Hangin' On" interpolation was a cool touch, but I don't really think this was a good cover.

However, I do think that Ronson's cover of Radiohead's "Just" is really good.