BRAKES!!! (NRR)

mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
edited September 2007 in Strut Central
Pretty sure my car needs brake work (has been squeeking harsh for weeks... hopefully my rotors aren't totally f****d). I know chain auto repair shops aren't the best choice but I haven't had much success in Southside (Richmond strutters feel free to PM) ...I guess I could go downtown/Ch***h Hill (Duke's or this other place I went to when I was at VCU), but close to work would be more convenient.And I know this is going to vary from shop to shop, but I'm curious which chain yall mess with if you do.Goodyear?Sears?Merchant's? ( )Midas?Firestone?other?thanks in advance

Comments

• The only good place I know in Richmond is a Volvo shop. Those chain places can really suck. I would ask people you work with where they go to get work done. Get that shit fixed ASAP.

• Brakes are easy to do. Pick up a Haynes manual, buy some brake pads and get it done yourself. You'll save hundreds of dollars. Drum brakes can be tricky but disc brakes are a breeze.

• Brakes are easy to do. Pick up a Haynes manual, buy some brake pads and get it done yourself. You'll save hundreds of dollars. Drum brakes can be tricky but disc brakes are a breeze.

Changing pads is so so easy. I've done it one 3 or 4 different cars and its always been easy. The Haynes manual does help as certain details can be tricky to just figure out. But once you've figured out the first one, the rest are a breeze. And you end up paying $20 instead of $400 or whatever.

Changing pads is so so easy. I've done it one 3 or 4 different cars and its always been easy. The Haynes manual does help as certain details can be tricky to just figure out. But once you've figured out the first one, the rest are a breeze. And you end up paying $20 instead of $400 or whatever.

Don't EVER go to chain garages. They are the biggest ripoff known to man. Learn to work on your car using a Haynes manual for the lighter stuff like tune-ups & brakes. Then find a local mechanic who works good but doesn't have an assembly line of cars waiting around all day to get fixed. That will ensure a rushed, crappy job. Ask around & you'll eventually find someone decent.