New iPod Anyone?

bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
edited September 2007 in Strut Central
updates here:http://live.gizmodo.com/seriously.. wtf!?>!??!

Comments

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    It's basically an iPhone minus the cell phone part.

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    It's basically an iPhone minus the cell phone part.

yup.. which means its got now internet anywhere... all in all the zune is gonna get f*k'd.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    I'd love to get the touchscreen, but I need way more storage than that. My 80GB ipod has done spoiled me.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I Beat Blaxx MP3 player

"Seriously. We couldn???t have made this one up???it???s that bad. German company Trekstor has just dropped a new DAP. Spec wise, this thing can certainly hold its own, sporting 2GB or 4GB of internal storage, a built in FM tuner, mini-USB jack , and a pretty sweet design aesthetic. It even comes bundled with a set of Sennheiser ear phones. Not too shabby, right? Sure, but we haven???t gotten to the best/worst part. What happens when a German company is faced with the need to name and market a new, youth oriented digital audio player? How do they set themselves apart from the masses? Call it the i.Beat. Blaxx. That???s what. We find it hard to believe that any corporation, German, Latvian, Ugandan, Russian, whatever, could be stupid enough to knowingly pull a move like this???but by the same token, we???re equally flummoxed that a company could unknowingly pull a move like this. We smell an angry Al Sharpton, several late night talk show debates, and an apology in the air. Or are we taking this the totally wrong way? Don???t take our mock convo the wrong way either, mmkay?"

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    shit yeah

new video nano too

• Apple unveils new iPod with Wi-Fi
    CEO Steve Jobs announced Wednesday major upgrades to its red-hot iPod music players; iTunes will now allow for wireless downloads of songs.
    By Jon Fortt, Business 2.0
    September 5 2007: 2:10 PM EDT

SAN FRANCISCO (Business 2.0) -- Apple announced Wednesday the first major overhaul of its popular iPod music digital players in nearly two years.

On top of iPods with more storage and bigger screens, Apple rolled out the iPod Touch, a slim, WiFi-enabled device that's similar to its new touchscreen mobile phone, the iPhone.

Apple CEO Steve Jobs speaking Wednesday in San Francisco, where he announced a major revamp of its iPod music players.

The company also announced a new version of its iTunes music store that will allow users to buy songs wirelessly. iTunes will also sell customizable 99-cent ringtones for the iPhone.

CEO Steve Jobs unveiled the new features at an invitation-only press conference held in San Francisco.

To date, Apple has sold more than 100 million iPods, but sales have been drifting since last year's holiday shopping season and profit margins are shrinking.

Live blogging the event
    Jobs also announced a new version of the classic iPod. With a full metal design and thinner than its predecessor, a new $249 model comes with 80 gigabytes of storage and 30 hours of audio. A slightly thicker model will have 160 gigabytes of storage and retail for $349.[/b]

"This boggles the mind," Jobs said. He pointed out that the original iPod could hold up to 1,000 songs. Today, an iPod can store 40,000 songs.

The new Nano, meanwhile, will have video and a larger, brighter screen with an interface similar to the iPhone. Apple will also bundle three games into the new Nano, including Sudoku from Electronic Arts.

The new Nano will feature two memory sizes: A 4-gigabyte model for $149 and an 8-gigabyte model for $199. It will be sold in black, red, silver, blue and green.

Jobs said the new Nanos should be in stores by this weekend.

Wednesday's announcements come more than two months after Apple took on mobile phone giants Nokia (Charts) and Motorola (Charts, Fortune 500) with the iPhone, a touchscreen-only device that retails for $499 or $599, depending on the amount of memory.

Apple has said it expects to have sold one million iPhones by the end of September. Research firm iSuppli reported Tuesday that the iPhone outsold all other smartphones in July.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I don't suppose Apple offers kind of price protection around price drops, does it? I feel bad that my wife spent $200 more on the iPhone than she needed to (and less than a month ago) now that they dropped the price on these suckers.

I don't suppose Apple offers kind of price protection around price drops, does it? I feel bad that my wife spent $200 more on the iPhone than she needed to (and less than a month ago) now that they dropped the price on these suckers.

They'd probably argue that it's a different product, and that the extra $200 was for the phone component.

Naw dude - same exact phone. Just $200 less.

Apple offers price protection for drops if it's within 10 days of purchase but alas, my phone was purchased back in mid-August.

It'd be one thing if I bought it myself but I feel bad b/c my wife bought this as a b-day gift for me and frankly, I wouldn't have bought one for myself until either 1) a price drop (oh, the irony) or 2) the second gen.

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts

in the same boat... welcome to the world of purchasing gadgetry.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    www.macrumors.com

Usually hit it up once a day. Keeps me well informed of forthcoming revisions and price drops so I don't end up like ODub.

Apple offers price protection for drops if it's within 10 days of purchase but alas, my phone was purchased back in mid-August.

It'd be one thing if I bought it myself but I feel bad b/c my wife bought this as a b-day gift for me and frankly, I wouldn't have bought one for myself until either 1) a price drop (oh, the irony) or 2) the second gen.

I really don't see what you're talking about - they just released the new iPod which is the iPhone minus the cell phone part, but when I go to AT&T's site the iPhone is still 500 and 600 for the bigger model. Isn't that the same price as when it came out?

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    A slightly thicker model will have 160 gigabytes of storage and retail for $349.

Thhhhhhhweeeeeet!!!!

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts

I really don't see what you're talking about - they just released the new iPod which is the iPhone minus the cell phone part, but when I go to AT&T's site the iPhone is still 500 and 600 for the bigger model. Isn't that the same price as when it came out?

yes they released a new ipod today but they also announced an iphone price reduction. $200 cheaper than the original price.

sorry bout that o-dub

yes they released a new ipod today but they also announced an iphone price reduction. $200 cheaper than the original price.

sorry bout that o-dub

Dudes need to read up on their read-ups.

And to restate - again - I didn't buy the iPhone myself. My wife bought it for me as a surprise b-day gift. But she bought it about 5 days TOO SOON to benefit from the price drop protection (I just called and asked). I wasn't trying to be an early adopter though I might have bought this for myself POST-price drop.

I'm just bummed my wife (using our joint money) overspent. Also - I really don't think too many people expected a price drop. Most of the pre-rumors (and yes, I do read those sites) were about the new line of iPods but they weren't predicting price drops with the existing iPhone this early. Those were expected closer to the holidays.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    real ill....but does anyone else find the Starbucks thing a little ridiculous? I mean I know no one on here would ever really use that feature - but how many basic consumers do they think are really going to be rolling into starbucks with their ipods in their pockets, pull em out and say "DAMN - this song is great! Lemme see what it is and buy it along with the last ten songs they've played before I got here." It's sort of on some instant Grey's Anatomy theory - and we know what that can do for a song....but the idea of someone rolling into a starbucks with their $250-$350 mp3 player in their pocket seems a little too hopeful....Idiocracy anyone? i mean people will definitely do it - it just seems like a low number - a very low number.

real ill....but does anyone else find the Starbucks thing a little ridiculous? I mean I know no one on here would ever really use that feature - but how many basic consumers do they think are really going to be rolling into starbucks with their ipods in their pockets, pull em out and say "DAMN - this song is great! Lemme see what it is and buy it along with the last ten songs they've played before I got here." It's sort of on some instant Grey's Anatomy theory - and we know what that can do for a song....but the idea of someone rolling into a starbucks with their $250-$350 mp3 player in their pocket seems a little too hopeful....Idiocracy anyone? i mean people will definitely do it - it just seems like a low number - a very low number.

Cosign.

I'm embarrassed Apple is even joining forces with Starbucks.

Whoa you're right O, I didn't catch that. That is an absolute steal at that price, I might have to cop. Apple just profiteered from the early adopters pretty much. Fucked up.

• I'm embarrassed Apple is even joining forces with Starbucks.

• the idea of someone rolling into a starbucks with their $250-$350 mp3 player in their pocket seems a little too hopeful

I don't understand, are you saying Ipod users are too cool for Starbucks? I thought they had pretty much the same audience (i.e. the general public).

I'm embarrassed Apple is even joining forces with Starbucks.

very, very, very good call.

"And I was drinking a Tall Soy Macchiato...
    Yea and I thought that was really sexy"

the idea of someone rolling into a starbucks with their $250-$350 mp3 player in their pocket seems a little too hopeful

I don't understand, are you saying Ipod users are too cool for Starbucks? I thought they had pretty much the same audience (i.e. the general public).

huh? no I'm saying that the situation is a little too ideal.....someone walking into a starbucks -but before hand saying "oh I better not forget my ipod so I can download music and see what they've been playing once I get inside" seems like a little much - no? I mean I could certianly be wrong - they're apple and they've been pretty right about their predictions thus far....if they're trying to get the ball rolling on their partnership with Starbucks and maybe know that the said situation is a little hopeful than that's understandable too....

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    the idea of someone rolling into a starbucks with their $250-$350 mp3 player in their pocket seems a little too hopeful

huh? no I'm saying that the situation is a little too ideal.....someone walking into a starbucks -but before hand saying "oh I better not forget my ipod so I can download music and see what they've been playing once I get inside" seems like a little much - no? I mean I could certianly be wrong - they're apple and they've been pretty right about their predictions thus far....if they're trying to get the ball rolling on their partnership with Starbucks and maybe know that the said situation is a little hopeful than that's understandable too....

i take it you dont live in a city.

• Whoa you're right O, I didn't catch that. That is an absolute steal at that price, I might have to cop. Apple just profiteered from the early adopters pretty much. Fucked up.

Many companies have introduced new products at a higher price point to see what the market will support, then when sales comes in as expected, reduce it. This is nothing new.The opposite, introducing too low then increasing the price, just isn't done.

The $599 price point was too high - $399 is right on. I'm tempted.

iPod touch is a zune killer. However.... setting the 16-gig iPod touch as expensive as the 8-gig iPhone is a mistake. Can't imagine they'll sell too many of those.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts

Really. 75% of the people in Starbucks in Union Square are wearing iPods, especially during the AM rush. This isn't a big stretch at all.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    LA heads will leave their ipods in the car.

Los Angeles. Maybe it's different in NY like dude said above...but I don't see people in Starbucks wearing ipods ever. Now if they did this on ITUNES via computers - that seems more feasible, at least for the market that I've seen....because everyone at starbucks out here is on their laptop.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    LA heads will leave their ipods in the car.

• Really. 75% of the people in Starbucks in Union Square are wearing iPods, especially during the AM rush. This isn't a big stretch at all.

As much as it makes me sound like an Apple fanboy, and despite my dislike of Starbucks, I gotta say this is killer marketing.

I was involved around 2001 with developing one of the first direct-to-device MP3 point-of-sale stations. This idea has been floating around for a while. It's just taken Apple this long to integrate the functionality into the devices and build up a strong enough consumer base with iTunes.

I agree it sucks, and will accelerate the downfall of the music store proper, but it also opens up many other doors. The possibilities are endless... buy albums wirelessly at shows. Go to a movie and if you like the soundtrack, you can buy it right there. etc.