Fulltone Tube Tape Echo (equipment-R)

johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
I read about this in EQ Magazine and would like to use it. It's above my budget to purchase, but Jackpot Studio in Portland has it. I would like to use it for the album I'm doing now, and wondering if anyone has had any experience with it? Some of the people on the Gearslutz board have praised it, and while it is geared towards guitarists, any input would work.Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• very classy.
    if you appreciate the mechanical nuances of a gritty tape echo though, well, the old shit still rocks.

fulltone - tubes, stereo, low noise, tape - good.
    and expensive.

for what kind of project/use?

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Well, I'm a guitarist, and I've used the Fulltone for a couple months. It's definitely designed more for the production minded. I had to hook it up to a footswitch, but probably would never really want to use it for a live situation. It's a very easy to use really good sounding tape delay.

If you don't know anything about analog delays the thing that sets this apart is that it's super clean, it doesn't have that echoplex tape flutter, and it will only repeat what's put into it (it does not introduce any weird warble or anything else).

The problem I had with it, the tape cartridge was worn down, so I had to get another which wasn't available anywhere in town. SO, I had to Ebay a tape cartridge for an effect I was borrowing, and it took about a month. Making it pretty useless for me for about a month. Though the few weeks that I actually got to use it completly sold me, If I could afford any analog delay I'd pick it up. I'm actually looking into buying a roland space echo, which I've only ever heard of, but never actually played to solve my live dilemma. What exactly will you be using it for?

- spidey

• very classy.
    if you appreciate the mechanical nuances of a gritty tape echo though, well, the old shit still rocks.

fulltone - tubes, stereo, low noise, tape - good.
    and expensive.

for what kind of project/use?

It's album #22 for me (I haven't released the 21st, which is more experimental, but I may do that before the end of the year). While I know there are a number of plug-ins that can offer similar results, I have always been a fan of analog equipment and technology. It may be dated, but if it still does the job, I'd like a chance to use it.

I plan on using it for added effect in a few of my songs. There's one track that I haven't done yet, but in my mind I'd like for someone to play a slide guitar solo over the beat. There's a guitarist up in Canada whose work I really like, and I've asked her if she would be interested and she said yes. However, I wouldn't want to ruin her contribution, especially if she is very adamant about the sound she has.

In a lot of my early music I played around with tape manipulation, and before I made music for the sake of doing so, it was all about doing twisted things with cassettes and thrift store reel-to-reels. I like "gritty tape echo" because it may capture the old feel that I like, in combination with new technology, programs, and plug-ins.

My normal approach has been embarassingly simple, and a number of people have pushed me to take it to a new level. If this is to be my last album, then I want to be able to play around with the toys of the trade.

• What exactly will you be using it for?

I explained it a bit above, but it is for production work in the studio, and not something for live work. An added effect where I would run an isolated track through it and be able to record the effect on another track, to see the kind of results I would get.

It's just one thing I'd like to try, or to even run it through an Echoplex. Plug-ins are easy to find and obtain, and I like being able to buy a guitar pedal and running a sample through it, and be able to make adjustments as it's going along so it's not just a pre-programmed effect. For example, getting a number of acoustic guitar samples, sequence it in a manner that sounds good as is, but come up with something very different if run through different effects.

It doesn't have to be an expensive effect either, I'll go to Hastings and find a Danelectro Hash Brown pedal and use that. But, I've always been into tape manipulaion, so trying out the tube tape echo would simply be something to try out for my work.

Or maybe go the low-budget route and get this:

• Jackpot Studio in Portland

That's Larry Crane's studio, right? The TapeOp guy.
    I'd say you're in good hands if you're doing any recording there...

• Or maybe go the low-budget route and get this:

if you never leave the house with it..yes...but if you take it around gigging and touring, watch out...those Dan Electro pedals' sound ok, but construction wise they are pieces of plastic shit, not durable at all.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    Or maybe go the low-budget route and get this:

if you never leave the house with it..yes...but if you take it around gigging and touring, watch out...those Dan Electro pedals' sound ok, but construction wise they are pieces of plastic shit, not durable at all.

did anybody ever buy those $9-or-so shitty danelectro pedals sam goody was selling a few years back? my friend bought one, and left the 9-volt in it for about 20 days and the shit completely corroded to the point where you couldnt even salvage it.

• Jackpot Studio in Portland

That's Larry Crane's studio, right? The TapeOp guy.
    I'd say you're in good hands if you're doing any recording there...

That's him. I had been looking into the studio for awhile, and subscribed to TapeOp a few months ago, so it looked like an environment I could get into. That is good to know. Thanks.

• if you never leave the house with it..yes...but if you take it around gigging and touring, watch out...those Dan Electro pedals' sound ok, but construction wise they are pieces of plastic shit, not durable at all.

It would be just for production. Looks nice, but yeah it doesn't look like something that could take a lot of abuse. But you never know.