RIAA vs Primo

paquelaspaquelas 206 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
http://primo.podcastpeople.com/posts/6714
I received a phone call this afternoon that broke my heart. The CEO of podcastpeople.com contacted our department to notify us that our site has been hit with a cease & desist order from the RIAA for broadcasting copywritten material. Additionally, our relationship with SIRIUS has been up and down since day one, and more recently has been difficult because of their concerns relating to a pending corporate merger and subscription rates. I feel that we have enough cause to fight this challenge-yet we don???t have the time, money, or legal resources to do so.Basically, we will be able to continue publishing our own promotional content on the site(mixtapes,interviews,remixes,promos,etc.)-but no more ???Live From HQ??? episodes.For those who have supported the site, I feel that we still have an obligation to bring you the content that you expected, so we will be in contact to those on our mailing list shortly to arrange our future plans.To all of our loyal visitors and fans, we thank you for helping us spread real hip-hop worldwide. We encourage everybody to stick around and continue to patrol the site for quality hip-hop music.Yours regretfully,A.C.

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Weaksauce but not surprising. The rules on podcasting music shows have been really narrow, especially the more prominent the podcast. What Primo and company need to do is pass these show tapes on the low.

• paquelaspaquelas 206 Posts
    the question is:
    is there a single podcast not broadcasting copywritten material??

the question is:
    is there a single podcast not broadcasting copywritten material??

Uh, yeah. The issue isn't broadcasting copywritten material. It's broadcasting copywritten material you don't have a legal right to broadcast. This Primo podcast didn't even have Sirius' permission (it sounds like), let alone RIAA's.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Wow, fuck that. Really one of the better podcasts/shows out there.

No doubt. It's funny though because one of my first thoughts was, "I wonder how long it will be until this gets shut down."

If they're serious about putting this show out, they'd be better served doing it on a blog, with no RSS subscriptions through iTunse but rather, single show downloads like how Stretch Armstrong has been doing with the old Stretch and Bob shows. Much less likely to hit RIAA's radar.

No doubt. It's funny though because one of my first thoughts was, "I wonder how long it will be until this gets shut down."

If they're serious about putting this show out, they'd be better served doing it on a blog, with no RSS subscriptions through iTunse but rather, single show downloads like how Stretch Armstrong has been doing with the old Stretch and Bob shows. Much less likely to hit RIAA's radar.

Very true, I've always been wary about the iTunes thing because it does allow things to be tracked easier. It seems to me that the message the RIAA sends in all of these cases is pretty much "we won't do anything unless it gets popular", which drags down the overall quality of this stuff and makes it hard when people like Primo who are 1) good at what they do and 2) have some degree of noteriety try to make a podcast.

I think the worst part is that artists and DJs who could really put together something dope like this are going to hear the news and not even bother anymore.

• i still don't get exactly who the RIAA is and why they're allowed to fuck with anyone they want.

i still don't get exactly who the RIAA is and why they're allowed to fuck with anyone they want.

It's not quite that simple. Learn yourself something:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RIAA

so does primo have to apply for a license to broadcast this material or what?

this really makes no sense to me since artists send him promos to be played for exposure. is the riaa really that ass backwards or am i missing something?

See: FBI raids DJ Drama's studio.