Anyone ever work for or with MTV?

DustbusterDustbuster 278 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
I got a job interview tomorrow for a licensing manager position and I'm not sure whether I should wear a suit. Is that overkill? I'm thinking khakis, a blazer, and tie. Thanks in advance for the

Comments

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I've interviewed at MTV, and truth is a job is a job and you should respect it as such.

Have you spoke with the person who is going to interview you? If you gauged them as a little bit laid back then maybe you can get away with just a nice button up but if you're going in as a fresh fish I'd treat it as you would any other job interview.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    I've worked with MTV and VH1 people as far as setting up screenings of some of their projects and as you might expect the vibe they go for is a mixture of professional and "hip." I would say dress as you would for most other interviews but try to exude youthful enthusiasm.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    Random poster Donkeypunch works at MTV. J**R*AN M**K

• Not sure if that's the case anymore?

I used to date a girl that worked at MTV, but she was in production and usually on set. When I met her at the office she was dressed well. Hope that helps.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    I got a job interview tomorrow for a licensing manager position and I'm not sure whether I should wear a suit. Is that overkill? I'm thinking khakis, a blazer, and tie. Thanks in advance for the

Always wear a suit to an interview no matter the job.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts

i went to an interview a few weeks ago wearing shorts, a t-shirt, and flip flops.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts

• Always wear a suit to an interview no matter the job.

That's what I'm thinking, especially since this is more of a mid-level position. But when I spoke to the recruiter she told me that the office is relaxed business casual (whatever that means) and I spoke to my HR at my current job(Disney) they told me that a suit is too much. Maybe they're trying to sabotage me . . .

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

right?

how old are you people

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts

If you wear a suit to an interview where I work you're not getting hired........

Unless the interview is with Red Bull. Not that I advocate working for Red Bull, but those guys are almost religious in their dislike for formality.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

If you wear a suit to an interview where I work you're not getting hired........

That's what I'm thinking, especially since this is more of a mid-level position. But when I spoke to the recruiter she told me that the office is relaxed business casual (whatever that means) and I spoke to my HR at my current job(Disney) they told me that a suit is too much. Maybe they're trying to sabotage me . . .

Well, you don't dress for the interview the way you're going to dress on the job from day to day, you dress a level or two more formal to try to show them that you want the job and respect their organization.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    I've worked at MTV!!!!

If you want to work in a dept that brings in money, dress WASP. If you want to work in a dept that spends money, faux hawk and Saturday Knights T-shirt mandatory.

Don't let that get in the way of another fascinating life-strut thread.

• chasechase 767 Posts
    dress for success

Relaxed business casual = khakis, button shirts (polo's), no sneakers.

i went to an interview a few weeks ago wearing shorts, a t-shirt, and flip flops.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    it was for a graphic design position.

generally in the creative industry nobody gives a fuck what you wear, all they care about is your portfolio.

• dress like kanye west.

• I think wearing a suit to an interview once didn't get me that job.

• dress like kanye west.

YES! I'll dress like KAYNE West

Thanks to everyone for the input. Gonna do the two piece suit and tie tommorow. I figure, it got me all my jobs at this point, let's not fug with success.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts

b/w and A key thing to remember is that you have made a good impression on them so far. At this stage, it's about not disconfirming their good impression (e.g., don't say anything stupid) and don't go in all stiff and robotic during the interview (i.e., loosen up some). The point is to come across like a competent guy who your prospective coworkers (and boss) might want to be around them (i.e., a cool dude). The code term for this is "fit." We get stiff, mannequin type applicants for faculty jobs all the time, and always, they crash and burn. Best of luck!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

b/w and A key thing to remember is that you have made a good impression on them so far. At this stage, it's about not disconfirming their good impression (e.g., don't say anything stupid) and don't go in all stiff and robotic during the interview (i.e., loosen up some). The point is to come across like a competent guy who your prospective coworkers (and boss) might want to be around them (i.e., a cool dude). The code term for this is "fit." We get stiff, mannequin type applicants for faculty jobs all the time, and always, they crash and burn. Best of luck!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Best advice I ever got for interviews is to approach it knowing that if you don't get the job you're no worse off than you already are.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    i worked for mtv and never saw anyone wearing a suit. i came in with a shirt/tie/slacks but no jacket and was asked why i overdressed at the interview?!

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    i worked for mtv and never saw anyone wearing a suit. i came in with a shirt/tie/slacks but no jacket and was asked why i overdressed at the interview?!

Exactly.

Listen up eternal associates...

The only time you wear a suit is not when you go for an interview[/b], but when you want your current boss to think[/b] you just went on an interview. You're welcome.