Netflix qeue recommendations...

iron_monkeyiron_monkey 985 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
Lately been getting into checking out TV shows that I missed the boat on the first go round. Freaks and Geeks is the shit but I'm on the last disc of the series and looking to get into some new/old shit...recommendations?Haven't seen OZ, thinking of checking that out...any others?

Comments

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    if you finished freaks and geeks you should check out Undeclared. same dude, same premise only in college. not quite as good, but still has that same charm.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    If you're looking for tv series similar to Freaks+Geeks, Underclared and Arrested Development are both great. Undeclared takes a little while to hit its stride, but by the end of its run it's operating on the same level as F+G.

If you're looking for more general recommendations of any disc Netflix might have... damn. Where to start? Tell us more about what you like.

EDIT: just noticed you did say you were looking for TV recommendations specifically.
    So yeah -- Undeclared, Arrested Development, the British "Office", Mr. Show... any of those you haven't seen?

• No, not looking for the same type of vibe as F&G, just quality material in any genre...

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    The Wire, Rome, Deadwood and Carnivale are all top-notch HBO series. There's a general movement around here to consider season 4 of The Wire the greatest thing ever produced for television.

• Dog, if you've never watched 'Weeds,' that show was a revelation on DVD.

Not only is Mary Louise Parker hot as fuck; she can act, mang. Damn. Some seriously emotional material in there.

Plus, it is the only sitcom that has made my wife laugh out loud.

We just finisehd Season 1, and am looking forward to #2. Highly recommended.

• "Weeds", that's right, I forgot about that one. Never saw it but heard great things. I'll def check that one out.

I tried getting into the Wire, based mostly on the fervor it caused on here. I got bored trying to get through Season One - disc one... how do you guys feel about season one?

The British version of the Office was great! Actually got hipped to that at Latency's pad. The American version is among my favorite shit.

I've seen Arrested Development. Kinda lost interest after a while, though the first slew of episode were laugh out loud funny.

So no opinions on OZ?

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    If you can handle the occaisonal man-man love scene, Six Feet Under comes highly reccomended by me. It is a great series with like 6 seasons, so it'll keep you busy for a while. It's been discussed here in the past, so i am sure a search would pull up some conversation on it.

• i've also really been feeling Futurama...not for everyone, but for those who lament the falloff of the simpsons (*raises hand*) it is a great show.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts

So no opinions on OZ?

I caught a few of the early seasons. Really good stuff, but I lost track of it when I didn't have HBO for a while. I'd recommend it. The transformation of the meek drunk driver guy into a full-blown psycho hardrock was some heavy shit.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    i've also really been feeling Futurama...not for everyone, but for those who lament the falloff of the simpsons (*raises hand*) it is a great show.

"Futurerama" is perfectly OK, better in concept in execution. I think I might have set my expectations too high. Maybe there just wasn't enough different characters, but it never realized with full potential.

"Six Feet Under" -- really good show. Super pretentious at times but not a huge deal. That show had some pretty emotional moments later on in the series.

I've gone back and watched some of the shows I really loved as a kid. Some of them I wish I hadn't -- they were better as memories. A few examples: "Dragnet" and "The Critic."

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    Check out the planet earth series. Some of the greatest nature filming you will ever see.

"The Critic."

Are you saying it stinks?

• Options
    the Kroft brothers set (HR Pufinstuff)

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    "The Critic."

Are you saying it stinks?

Touche

It's not that bad, but it doesn't have the one joke per second ratio that we've come to expect from primetime animation.

• So no opinions on OZ?

First 2.5 seasons of "OZ" are GREAT but then it seriously fell the fuck off.

When A*****i dies, you can stop watching.

• SOUL VENGEANCE

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Deadwood

SPOLERS

Just started watching the third season on DVD - was warned it's a disappointing season and I'm beginning to feel so...everyone is becoming a caricature. I am so sick of Bullock who acts with his glare and little else and the Trixie and Joanie characters are becoming less and less interesting, but had so much potential. Here's hoping there's a good storyline coming with Aunt Lou and that Swearingen comes back with a vengeance.

• Hey, alright!

Thank you for the recommendations... my queue is looking a lot better now with Weeds, Mr. Show, OZ and undeclared in the mix...

Feel free to keep it going...

• northern exposure is my favorite tv show of all times. i think it had like 6 seasons but its only good up to season 4.

also, i dont know if u into sci-fi but there was a show called "firefly" that was really good. it was cancelled in 1 season but it is well written.

oh and heroes is now out on dvd which i got queued up since like june.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    northern exposure is my favorite tv show of all times. i think it had like 6 seasons but its only good up to season 4.

Just finished 4, should I really skip the last 2 seasons?

• northern exposure is my favorite tv show of all times. i think it had like 6 seasons but its only good up to season 4.

Just finished 4, should I really skip the last 2 seasons?

I'd say watch as long as Joel is still around and then a few after that. You ahve to see the one where Joel "leaves".

• skip weeds man, that shits beyond wack...

looking for some good weed humor rock this

TPB

The Weed humor in weeds isn't what makes it good; a lot of that shit is silly.

It's the emotion/family/friends shit that makes the show worth watching.

• i would. i think season 5 is when dr. fleischmann had contract disputes so they started to cut him out of the show. it gets kinda lame. but u should watch a disc cuz thats just my opinion.

• Weeds seemed pretty corny the few times I watched it..although my girlfriend loves it.

And major co-sign on the Planet Earth series..that shit is really good.

• Big co-sign on Planet Earth and would nominate 'The Blue Planet' also..

• Yeah Planet Earth kicked ass, but you have to watch it in HD or don't watch it all. Well, watch it anyways I guess, but its the only show in HD that actually made me say WOW.

Also, I just watched a rad movie the other week called "Behind the Mask: The rise of Leslie Vernon." Some people didn't think it was funny, but I laughed my ass off. Even the wife liked it.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    I'm starting to think it might be time to revisit Twin Peaks...

• I cosign on Weeds, Six Feet Under, and Undeclared.

Undeclared is a nice follow up to F's+G's. If you've seen all of the subsequent movies you'll recognize a lot of the characters. That is why I love Apatow. he's keeping people employed. Somewhere on the commentary for Undeclared he talks about how Freaks and Geeks got canceled and he felt like he failed those kids, so he made undeclared to give them jobs. "Eric" is the reason to watch undeclared. him and the whole copy shop crew.

Six Feet Under is great. It's a bit weird and hard to get into at first. It's funny because you watch tv shows and most of the people are attractive in some way or another. Six Feet Under is not exactly like that. There's a lot of people you don't like physically and you can't stand the way they act. If you stick with it it's an amazing show. They throw a major curve ball in season 2 I think and it keeps rolling that way, but it's a quality show. Quirky characters with good story lines and character development. The car jacking episode was nuts.

Weeds didn't really grab me at first either, but we just finished season two last night and I love it. It's kind of lame. It's the same as 6 feet under sort of. it's got some characters where you're like "I don't know if I can stand to watch this person for much longer" but after awhile they get better and more interesting. It's funny and each episode is only 22 minutes long, so you can blaze through a season in no time.

Another reccomendation would be The Bridge. I got it from Netflix the other day. It's creepy and interesting. It's all about people committing suicide on the Golden Gate Bridge. A crew filmed the bridge for a year and followed people who were looking "suspicious" and actually filmed some people jump (they had bridge crew on speed dial to try to stop them, but some of them happen so quick). It's a strange thing to watch. It's the most popular suicide destination in the world and it's only a few miles from my house. It's not a feel good movie, nor is it distasteful. It's interesting though.

• "Behind the Mask: The rise of Leslie Vernon."

Is that the horror moc-doc?