Blade Runner

2»

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I saw this tonight and there was never a dull moment. The score is what really hit me.

And I never got ant indication that Dekkard was a replicant. All the Replicants in this version had Gold irises. There was one scene where Dekard eyes did go gold during the love scene....but that was it.

On the real i was st8 up blown away. I have seen this since like 2000.

• tuneuptuneup 586 Posts
    hating on the Vangelis score is just nuts...

absolutely perfect music for the piece, and holds up on its own as well. Try it again and I hope you'll have ears for this truly excellent film score. Easily in my top ten.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    hating on the Vangelis score is just nuts...

absolutely perfect music for the piece, and holds up on its own as well. Try it again and I hope you'll have ears for this truly excellent film score. Easily in my top ten.

Much of the score made sense in the time it was done (i.e. the early '80s) but it's not "timeless" to me in the way, say, a Morricone or Williams score can be.

I don't "hate" on it but yeah, I do still find it cheesy. It doesn't detract from the film though.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    And for real - watching this again made me realize how candy-ass the art direction in "5th Element" was.

True, but in its defense it was drawn from a Heavy Metal comic from the late 70's right?

Man, I totally forgot about that! I had that issue and a lot of others, but they went "missing" one day. Mom didn't think Heavy Metal was good for a 10 year old.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    This new cut sounds awesome, I can't wait to check it.
    A story I heard about the sets for Blade Runner, was they built them in layers just like they
    would have been built over time. They added new stuff for every twenty years or so.
    Most "future worlds" in movies look so lame and fakey. Like in 100 years from now their wouldn't
    be any remnants of life from the past? Gimme a break.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    I saw this tonight and there was never a dull moment. The score is what really hit me.

And I never got ant indication that Dekkard was a replicant. All the Replicants in this version had Gold irises. There was one scene where Dekard eyes did go gold during the love scene....but that was it.

Does this version have the unicorn dream, and the unicorn oragami scene? That was what tipped me off in the director's cut on dvd that I have.

I remember when I was a kid I thought BladeRunner was kind of cool, but almost too slow (read adult) for me. Only in the later years, when I was ready for it, and copped the Director's Cut did I truly fall in love with this film. The pacing is brilliant. This is easily one of my all time favorite movies.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    BTW I always thought Rachel was supposed to be a little awkward, on purpose. I don't mind Sean Young's acting at all in the film. I assumed she was supposed to come off like that.

Does this version have the unicorn dream, and the unicorn oragami scene? That was what tipped me off in the director's cut on dvd that I have.

I remember when I was a kid I thought BladeRunner was kind of cool, but almost too slow (read adult) for me. Only in the later years, when I was ready for it, and copped the Director's Cut did I truly fall in love with this film. THE PACING IS BRILLIANT. This is easily one of my all time favorite movies.

Yes. Both Unicorn references were there.

• I reread "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" not too long ago and was reminded of what an amazing job they did of basing the story upon it. In my opinion it??s one of the very best interpretations of a sci-fi novel evar. Why couldn??t they do something like this for that shitpile "I, robot" - movie?

- J

I would say yes and no. They got a lot of the philosophical musings of the replicants good, but outside of that I would disagree. I mean, Deckard is most definitely NOT a replicant in the book, he's not the typical sloppy bachelor detective (he's married with a kid(?) I believe in the book) and he takes out the replicants with basically no effort on his part. No Daryll Hannah leg choke-holds or long drawn out climbing on buildings in the rain with Rutger Hauer monologues. And I think the book takes place over a 24 hour period.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    BTW I always thought Rachel was supposed to be a little awkward, on purpose. I don't mind Sean Young's acting at all in the film. I assumed she was supposed to come off like that.

I always thought it was the only film that took Sean Young's wooden/vacant acting style and used it to it's advantage. Perfect as an android.

Here's hoping they give the film a limited cinema run over here as they did with the recut Alien. Would love to see this on the big screen.

• dmacdmac 472 Posts
    After years of barebone editions & endless debates on which version is the best,
    BR fans are in for a wonderful Christmas. I can't wait.

"Give me two... two! With noodles."

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    After years of barebone editions & endless debates on which version is the best,
    BR fans are in for a wonderful Christmas. I can't wait.

"Give me two... two! With noodles."

I'd eat at that stand.

• I know this is going to cause another 4-5 pages but really I thought the movie was just okay. I thought the set design, lighting, and detail was amazing. And also the concept that robots are concerned with mortality is a great and fascinating idea, but I don't know it just didn't "do it" for me. I'm not saying I didn't like it, but nothing even remotely close to "G.O.A.T." status.

P.S.

Children of Men > Blade Runner

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    never seen this movie

• never seen this movie

dude..you haven't even star wars.

go meet your mother-in-law, son!

• sergserg 682 Posts
    never seen this movie

man fuck getting around to watching star wars, watch blade runner

• never seen this movie

star wars > serg

• cascas 1,484 Posts

star wars > serg

i'd go so far as to say home alone>serg.

i tried to watch blade runner 5 years ago and fell asleep 30 minutes in. i will revisit it though.

star wars > serg

i tried to watch blade runner 5 years ago and fell asleep 30 minutes in. i will revisit it though.

Grown N Sexy Sci Fi......

get familiar

• amazing, engrossing film. saw it yesterday on the big screen. i was totally lost at points, which i attribute to getting high beforehand, but seeing that movie like that not only changed my whole weekend, but changed my whole life as it introduced new images and ideas. grown and sexy, yes, violent and erotic, too. the (extended) scene where one of the replicants runs through glass...

• cascas 1,484 Posts

star wars > serg

get familiar

i know. 5 years ago I was 25. i don't think grown and sexy has the potential to hit until 29-30, so i do have plans to give this one more shot.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    I love blade runner. Especially the vangelis score.
    Psyched for this.

• star wars > serg

get familiar

This sounds like you want to bone your trash compactor or be like Captain Kirk and bone some green pussy.

This sounds like you want to bone your trash compactor or be like Captain Kirk and bone some green pussy.

[color:purple]
    two thousand and seventy three , two thousand and eighty four , two thousand and ninety three , light years ahead you and me gone be getting down on a space bed.....we gone get married in june....we gonna be getting down on the moon, light years interplanetary forms on the get down star wars interplanetary funk......still getting down ......music won't have no race only face... peaceful face.... all the time on this trip stuck inside my mothership i can tell on your face that you really wanna stay SPACE FUNKY SPACE........peaceful space..certain place wait till i feel cool.....HEY BABY lets get in the groove.........Don't you look like somebody i met a long time ago i know i aint ever met you though oooh you look like ive been knowing you for a thousand years gosh ooh i dont know whats happening you know im really involved but i been checking you out you know uh getting some other reaction seems to me though that we been together here we supposed to be together COME ON BABY let's go peace loving and check out this new smoke naw this thing i got it aint classified as dope smoke i got from venus have had it all week its getting old come on and try this new thing with me baby ...too cold....come on now baby lets take off clean get in this sin machine and rock it rock it rock it rock it hey little baby let's magnetize magnets makes the love rise baby oooh sugar lets get some more why do i feel like ive been....with ......you .....before shoot me baby with the creator lots of peace and lots of fun......everybody he created having lots of fun lets move the party over to star 1 .......allrite everybody we're moving now to come in for our landing here PLUTO all of you who are in group A send you over to the pludatarium to get plutotized know you can dig that and the rest of the group B i know yall gone have a ball BUT HEY little MIss Bird song come here YOU FOLLOW ME......come on baby come on down come on baby come on down (LETS RAZZMATAZZ AND ALL THAT JAZZ LETS TOUCH EACH OTHER LETS TOUCH EACH OTHER LETS RAZZMATAZZ AND ALL THAT JAZZ) {Repeated over COME ON BABY over and over} come on lets say what we mean put our hearts into the real machine . say YEAH say Yes......STOP........well its been a fantastic trip ( yall cut it out) Come back next week player ITS FUNKYFUL everybody get your heads together be right here on time all we gotta say is TIME FOR THE COUNTDOWN we gonna count down zack we going you ready? 1 fun 2 you 3 me 4 more 5 no jive 6 no tricks 7 we in heaven 8 everything is straight 9 FINE..... TEEEEEN! next week we'll do it again! OWWWW!!!!!!![/color]

• it would be cool if instead of them corny french maid fishnetty stripper type halloween costumes a lot of bold ladies rock, i would be nice to see somebody dress up as zhora in the bloody raincoat just once.

• This sounds like you want to bone your trash compactor or be like Captain Kirk and bone some green pussy.

[color:purple]
    two thousand and seventy three , two thousand and eighty four , two thousand and ninety three , light years ahead you and me gone be getting down on a space bed.....we gone get married in june....we gonna be getting down on the moon, light years interplanetary forms on the get down star wars interplanetary funk......still getting down ......music won't have no race only face... peaceful face.... all the time on this trip stuck inside my mothership i can tell on your face that you really wanna stay SPACE FUNKY SPACE........peaceful space..certain place wait till i feel cool.....HEY BABY lets get in the groove.........Don't you look like somebody i met a long time ago i know i aint ever met you though oooh you look like ive been knowing you for a thousand years gosh ooh i dont know whats happening you know im really involved but i been checking you out you know uh getting some other reaction seems to me though that we been together here we supposed to be together COME ON BABY let's go peace loving and check out this new smoke naw this thing i got it aint classified as dope smoke i got from venus have had it all week its getting old come on and try this new thing with me baby ...too cold....come on now baby lets take off clean get in this sin machine and rock it rock it rock it rock it hey little baby let's magnetize magnets makes the love rise baby oooh sugar lets get some more why do i feel like ive been....with ......you .....before shoot me baby with the creator lots of peace and lots of fun......everybody he created having lots of fun lets move the party over to star 1 .......allrite everybody we're moving now to come in for our landing here PLUTO all of you who are in group A send you over to the pludatarium to get plutotized know you can dig that and the rest of the group B i know yall gone have a ball BUT HEY little MIss Bird song come here YOU FOLLOW ME......come on baby come on down come on baby come on down (LETS RAZZMATAZZ AND ALL THAT JAZZ LETS TOUCH EACH OTHER LETS TOUCH EACH OTHER LETS RAZZMATAZZ AND ALL THAT JAZZ) {Repeated over COME ON BABY over and over} come on lets say what we mean put our hearts into the real machine . say YEAH say Yes......STOP........well its been a fantastic trip ( yall cut it out) Come back next week player ITS FUNKYFUL everybody get your heads together be right here on time all we gotta say is TIME FOR THE COUNTDOWN we gonna count down zack we going you ready? 1 fun 2 you 3 me 4 more 5 no jive 6 no tricks 7 we in heaven 8 everything is straight 9 FINE..... TEEEEEN! next week we'll do it again! OWWWW!!!!!!![/color]

If I didn't know any better I'd say these were Kool Keith lyrics.

Or Sa-Ra.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts

I know this is going to cause another 4-5 pages but really I thought the movie was just okay. I thought the set design, lighting, and detail was amazing. And also the concept that robots are concerned with mortality is a great and fascinating idea, but I don't know it just didn't "do it" for me. I'm not saying I didn't like it, but nothing even remotely close to "G.O.A.T." status.

P.S.

Children of Men > Blade Runner

I also loved Harrison ford's work in the 80's. I just thought the story overall was a little stiff, and on re-watching It still feels the same. Though, the visual stuff always looked great.

- spidey

• sergserg 682 Posts
    never seen this movie

star wars > serg

man I like star wars but that shit is for kids. Blade Runner is way more interesting. The paranoia, absence of life, the questioning of reality which is a theme that dominates most of PKD books so it's dope they worked that in along with the obvious question of what makes you human. Yes the movie can be slow at times but I'd rather watch it than satisfy my nostalgia for Star Wars