My domain name has been hacked ? ? ?(wtf related)

SouthCrackalackSouthCrackalack 3,853 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
so I wake up today and check my email and notice I have an email from "Barbra21@my personal domain name.com". They emailed out a bullshit email about Bush dying or some shit and a file attached called "Truth.exe"(which I assume is just a virus)from a newly created email address on my domain name. So I log into my account to look at my email addresses to see if this new email addy is on my list of personal ones..and no email address w/ that name is on my account. ??? Now I am thinking about all my personal information I have stored in my account settings(credit card info,etc). The domain is set up through 1&1.com. Guess I should just call them and start asking questions...but does anyone have any experience w/ this?

Comments

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    You sure that was really the email address? Did you click reply and see if that address showed up in the to: field? It could be a program that snakes your info from your website (domain owner info isn't private, I don't believe) and then uses that info to email you with something that looks curious and weird so you will click on it and hopefully click their .exe, which is most likely a cc/ssn/pw phishing program to steal your identity. They may just have set it up so the display name is "barbara21@whateverthefuck.com" but the actual email address it's being sent from is something totally different. Either way, best not to open the attachment. I wouldn't be too worried, I've gotten those before for a website my friend owns that I have an email address with. I even got emails that looked like they were from him or his girlfriend on our domain, but they weren't. The scam attempts are getting outrageous.

• vajdaijvajdaij 447 Posts
    Spoofing email from a domain is pretty trivial, unfortunately. I work at the NOC for a small ISP, and we get bounces from spammers who are faking our abuse address all the time. I wouldn't worry too much about your 1&1 account getting hacked; it's more likely that your domain got randomly chosen off a mailing list.

• Yeah, I tried hitting "reply" and the email was the same. I emailed 1and1.com to see whats up..waiting on a reply. I am just worried about the credit card info and shit in my account information.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,632 Posts
    so I wake up today and check my email and notice I have an email from "Barbra21@my personal domain name.com". They emailed out a bullshit email about Bush dying or some shit and a file attached called "Truth.exe"(which I assume is just a virus)from a newly created email address on my domain name. So I log into my account to look at my email addresses to see if this new email addy is on my list of personal ones..and no email address w/ that name is on my account. ??? Now I am thinking about all my personal information I have stored in my account settings(credit card info,etc). The domain is set up through 1&1.com. Guess I should just call them and start asking questions...but does anyone have any experience w/ this?

You weren't hacked. What happened is tantamount to someone putting your return address on an envelope. You can specify any return email address when you send an email. What most likely happened is some spambot picked up your email address from your domain registry (which is public information) and made up a fake email in an attempt to get past your spam filters.

• Knowledge dropped. I heart Soulstrut.