WHAT GOT YOU HOOKED? (RR)

CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
As I was going through some of my records here the other day (now that me and my collection are happily reunited for a while), I tried to think back to what got me into this whole record-collecting/obsessing thing in the first place.For me I think it was a combination of being totally into UNDERGROUND HIP HOP (remember that?), listening to Lootpack and other Stones Throw stuff, Golden Era things, and hearing all about "digging in the crates" and dusty breaks and all that. I got into doing beats, but didn??t have any instruments or anything, so I bought turntables and hit the thrifts. Eventually hip-hop just lost it??s appeal in a lot of ways and I started getting more and more into the music I was drawing on to create my own music. Then it was no turning back! (even though hip-hop got a bit better eventually)Also I??ve always loved the medium. My parents had loads of vinyl, and we??d always play records around the house when I was a kid. I didn??t know what a CD was until I was about 12-13 (born 86). Just seeing the thing rotate on the turntable with the needle to it and how light would reflect off it in weird ways, and how you could in a way actually SEE the music in the grooves was fascinating stuff back then, and still is!So what about you guys? How did you get into mad braeks and raer? - J

Comments

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    i`ve been doin beats for a while, when a recordstore opened in my hometown.
    i had no idea about records. i knew that jazz would be a good basis for sampling.
    so i just browsed through the jazz section (which consisted mainly of cheap, common bullshit) and took a record with a nice cover. no need to listen to this record i thought, but 15$ seemed a bit high for a 14year old. Today I??m really happy that i bought my first record this day. It was Awakening - "Mirage"on Black Jazz.

• first of all, i listened to my parents records and my own whe i was little. i used to play in the living room while my mom listend to aretha franklin or fela kuti. those were the days. my dad worked in the US and brought home some good records and my mom was always fascinated with the african/african american culture. she spent some time in africa and visited my dad in the us before they got married. my own records were mainly radio plays or spoken books. i was really into looking at record covers back then. i still think that some records for kids have great covers.

when i returned to germany from the US, i got to know some new people at high school. one of them produced hip hop beats. we talked about hip hop and went to his place during the lunch break. he let me listen to some of his beats. i had no idea what producing was, so i asked. he let me listen to some of his parents records (he was never really digging for records, he used his parents jazz records or compilations), recorded some loops and i immediately got hooked. i went home after school and had a look at our record collection for the first time in years. i thought there must be better records than ours and started to go record shopping regularly.

i was really lucky. i hardly ever bought bad records (i spent the first months just listening to stuff at the local stores before buying anything), because my parents already paved the way for me. but DARN, i left behind many good records for cheap ten years ago! neither me nor the record store owners knew what they were worth and how hard they are to find

• So what about you guys? How did you get into mad braeks and raer?

BACON

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    There was a radio station at lunch time at school, and the "djs" there were holding a class once a week to teach u how to be a DJ, you had to bring a record in, so I bought the Jazzy Jeff - Parents Don't Understand 12" from the record store in the mall (limited selection) and went in there. All they showed was how to put the needle on the record... I had bought records throughout high school when I seen em cheap, like NWA + the posee LP, straight outta compton, apocalypse 91... then this dude owed me some loot at a record store for a mixtape hustle I was on, he couldn't pay me, so he gave me KMD - Black Bastards boot and Freestyle Frenzy 1, even tho I didn't ever own a turntable. The girl I was seeing at the time gave me a component system, and then I realized there were dope 12"s, the rest is history, I stopped copping tapes and CDs and went straight vinyl, started buying more hip-hop than ever... I started travelling in 1999, and all I would do when I travelled is buy hip-hop, passing up massives amounts of funk when I was staying in houston

then in like 2000, the ABC were having a sale in the middle of the city of Brisbane, of their entire inventory of vinyl, they would bring out crates and crates every hour, we'd just hang out in the city and look for shit like bob james 1 and that hahahha... then I found SoulStrut, and the sample FAQ and started learning shit, people like DJ Design, my mate hams, Bruce Highway, etc. sat me down and schooled me a lot on labels and artists around that time too... then I set off on my quest to find the raer around the world.

I remember being psyched finding some Little Feet record one time...

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    BEATS, YO

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    BEATS, YO

What about SAMPLES, YO... uhhh, yo?

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    I got over rocks, basketball cards, action figures, comics, then action figures again, then comics again, and was looking for a new commodity to make me happy and give my life purpose

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
    BEATS, YO

CLARIFY, YO

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    BEATS, YO

What about SAMPLES, YO... uhhh, yo?