Why do celebrities get to record albums?

ShingalingShingaling 877 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
Last night I was asked to do a last minute "production assistant" job on a video shoot. I wasn't told who or what it was for. When I got there they told me I was gonna be walking around a car with a light producing fake traffic passing by. They kept saying stuff like "When Peter gets here let's do this and don't do this around Peter." Finally I asked Peter who? The director said "Peter Gallagher!" I was like "I don't even know who that is." When the dude finally showed up it took me a second to figure out where I had seen dude before. Then it came to me...he's the "King of Real Estate" from American Beauty. You know the "You like gettin' nailed by the king?" dude.Turns out he's on a show called "OC." Keep in mind I do not watch TV. But he sang a Memphis/Stax related song on the show. People loved it so Peter is here in town recording a whole album at Ardent with Steve Crooper. They wanted him to have that "Memphis sound." They played one of the songs out of a boom box for him to lip-synch to for the shoot. IT WAS AWFUL! Not that I thought it was gonna be dope or anything but what a waste. Out of all the great Stax artist still left around town here that could be in the studio with Crooper they got some TV celeb to do it. I see this actor/musician thing going down all the time and it usually sucks. Stick to movies. Same goes for musicans though...stay out of the movies!What is the celeb music fascination all about?

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I heard Queen Latifah's Vocal/Jazz Album recently and its good to clean the apt. to. It's for a certain demograph. Hollywood has been doin that for years. You could collect the "actor does album" genre for days. A got a Lawrence Hilton Jacobs AKA "Freddie BOOM-BOOM Washington Disco album. This will continue. The Industry sells image-----music is secondary.

• ShingalingShingaling 877 Posts
    The Industry sells image-----music is secondary.

It killed me when I found out Zigaboo from the Meters plays with Steven Segal now.

• progbeatzprogbeatz 451 Posts
    I recently almost paid $5 on the Donny Most Lp.He's the guy who played Ralph Malph on "Happy Days" It looked so incredibly corny.I almost went for it just for the hell of it.Funny thing is this was at a Philly record show and a really heavy dealer had this.I actually think this an interesting genre.

Wish I could find Joe Pesci's album(it's vintage!)

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    I love this album. Funny as fuck.

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts

Damn right, someone got audio for the Blondie tune on that album ("it's the bitches that 'll get ya")

• progbeatzprogbeatz 451 Posts
    I love this album. Funny as fuck.

What is that? Is that Pesci doing a character? He actually did an album in the the 60's as himself.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    dude yer avatar has nancy sinatra in it.

irony lost?

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    What is that? Is that Pesci doing a character?

Yeah, it's his character from 'My Cousin Vinny'. Some real goumba shit, totally in character. Funny as hell.
    Classic lyris such as "Why don't you take your love and shove it up your big fat ass?"

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts

laughing my godamned ass off

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    It's all about the money and fame. When you are that well know people will do whatever you want and don't have the guts to say you suck. I'm guessing as well a lot of actors have a pretty good disposable income. So why not make a crappy LP and take a loss when it's just going to get taken in taxes anyhow.

I never really saw the show, but I was always seeing comercials for some reality show about a Princess who wanted to sing and she sucked bad. Playing in old folks homes and stuff. I caught a second of the show where she played in the old folks home and she kept messing up and blaming it on the CD player and wanting to start over. Blech!

I'm sure some stars are just having fun, but I'm sure a lot of them are full of themselves.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Nothing wrong against extra cash. Kind of like rappers trying to act. Some can, some can't. Yet look at Lil' Kim, I read somewhere that she had made $500,000 on each film she did. Now let's add a few more dollars for those who can act. I'm curious to know how much Nelly is making.

I'm someone who likes it when an artist just sticks to music. No bullshit, just give me the music. But if they can act, or at least bring in the kind of cash that an album may not be able to make, go for it.

One could also ask "why do celebrities get to sell shoes, or do voiceovers for car or beer commercials?" Because it sells. On that note:

How in the hell does someone like Albert Finney get on Motown?

In the spirit of the thread on "The Facts Of Life":

======

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    In the words of Gangstarr, "Mass Appeal."

They figure if a celeb has even the slightest hint of a voice, their fans will buy it. It's instant crossover - like an action figure.

• Art_FormArt_Form 188 Posts
    It's also sales and marketing. Also keeping their faces fresh with the people both young and old. Music reaches everyone. Mo' money, mo' money.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    dude that sandy cohen album will be sick as fuck. quit hating.

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
    2 things. ben vereens album is

and joey mcintyre is a dope actor. stein. . .

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

Didn't King Erisson act, too. Wasn't he on Fantasy Island or Barney Miller, or something?

h

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I heard Queen Latifah's Vocal/Jazz Album recently and its good to clean the apt. to. It's for a certain demograph. Hollywood has been doin that for years. You could collect the "actor does album" genre for days.

But Queen Latifah wouldn't be in there, 'cause she was known as a rapper LONG before she got acting roles.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

I'd heard that he's been a singer forever regardless of his acting career, so he's probably not a good example for this thread

Lindsay Lohan would be a good example however... I saw Tommy Mottola on TV last night talking about how she was 'the ultimate package' and perfect to market as a pop star... ugh

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

• Nothing wrong against extra cash. Kind of like rappers trying to act. Some can, some can't. Yet look at Lil' Kim, I read somewhere that she had made $500,000 on each film she did. Now let's add a few more dollars for those who can act. I'm curious to know how much Nelly is making.

She was in a movie at the prod company that i work at and looking at the paperwork here. she made 15,000 for a few days work. quite short of the 500,000 mark.