whats with dudes calling records "vinyls"?

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
two dudes in the shop exclaiming shit like "Muddy Waters Vinyls!" "Nirvana Vinyls!"I dont why, but it bugs the shit outta me

Comments

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    Best Rarest Boogie vinyls!

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Oh my goodness. I do believe it's a lovely evening for a boogie, you know?

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    [color:green]two dudes in the shop exclaiming shit like "Muddy Waters Vinyls!" "Nirvana Vinyls!"

I dont why, but it bugs the shit outta me [/color]

I've seen that shit happen HERE ON THIS SITE!

Bothers me too. The only thing worse is when I hear cats referring to all recorded materials as "pieces." You know, "in my whole collection, I have about 30 'pieces' by Jimmy Smith" or some such bullshit.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts

• pppppppp 261 Posts
    Holy crap, that bugs me so much. I run a vinyl manufacturing brokerage and I can say that the word "vinyls" bothers the entire staff every time we hear it.

Big co-sign on this one.

• We talk about this at the shop too -

straight amateur move.

They probably go home and listen to their Blondie come-ups on a vinyls player.

MCF

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I remember Japanese dudes saying "vinyls" back in the 90's. It must have spread.

• HeddyHeddy 131 Posts
    two dudes in the shop exclaiming shit like "Muddy Waters Vinyls!" "Nirvana Vinyls!"

I dont why, but it bugs the shit outta me

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Divinyls vinyls!

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    this shit bothers me beyond belief, but whats worse is when i see people calling them that online, but consistently spelling it wrong too.

"i finally found the linda rondstat vynil i was looking for, my local goodwill had so many vynils today i knew i would find it"

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    "Yo, I have many vinyls to trade"

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    two dudes in the shop exclaiming shit like "Muddy Waters Vinyls!" "Nirvana Vinyls!"

They sound british.

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    They sound british.

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    I don't hear this much... but it reminds me of when I moved to Toronto and all kinds of people I met were calling their skateboards their 'skate' rather than their 'board'. Always bugged me. No real logic behind it. It actually makes more sense than 'vinyls', but it's still weird to me.

• Yeah, it's just like when your talking to someone about making beats or whatever and they say "yeah i'm using reasons"...It's f#&*ing Reason, where did the damn "s" come from?

• They sound british.

It's a euro thing, I can confirm.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Yeah, it's just like when your talking to someone about making beats or whatever and they say "yeah i'm using reasons"...It's f#&*ing Reason, where did the damn "s" come from?

Or when I used to work in a record store...at least once a week some hip-hop fan would be all like: "hey, got any raps[/b]? Where do you keep your new raps[/b]?"

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    This thread is comedy.

How about Vinyls 12 inches?

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,917 Posts

They sound british.

European, maybe - here in the U of K, it's vinyl singular, and don't you forget it.

I think it's a young'uns thing. "Album" seems to have fallen out of popular usage, and people use the plural when talking about more than one CD, so maybe there's an assumption that the plural should be used where vinyl is concerned. It annoys me a little as well, though - I mean, would you call CDs "aluminium-coated polycarbonate plastics"?

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    I don't hear this much... but it reminds me of when I moved to Toronto and all kinds of people I met were calling their skateboards their 'skate' rather than their 'board'. Always bugged me. No real logic behind it. It actually makes more sense than 'vinyls', but it's still weird to me.

this is along the same lines as calling your tables "turns." i hate it when cats call me "king" instead of otto. still, sounds like some newbies that are only used to cds and excited that they discovered records.... or do they call the cds "plastics," or "polyurethanes?"

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Actually it was pretty common to call your stuntwood a skate back in the late 80s early 90s.......

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    That's Dopes

• They sound GERMAN.

I knew a guy named Heinz ("yes, like the fucking ketchup!" as he would scream into the phone on business calls) from Nurenburg who would not only refer to records as "vinyls," but pronounce it "WHY-NULLZ," as in, "I used to have fife zouzand why-nullz."

He would also refer to the King of Rock and Roll as "El-wiss."

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    I guess you can seriously blame the Europeans for this...

Germans are amongst the worst when it comes to misuse and mutilation of enlish terms.

Can you believe that the official German word for cellphone is "Handy" as in "Ruf mich auf meinem Handy an". Makes me cringe everytime I hear it.

Those awful aluminum fold-up scooters which even grown ups liked to ridicule themselves with some 10 years ago were sold as "Kickboards" in German stores.

Germans also like to call clubs a "Location"...

And everyone has their own horribly sounding way to mispronounce the word "Lounge"

Fucking morons...

• I call them vinyls and I'm Californian. What are you gonna do about it?

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    I call them vinyls and I'm Californian. What are you gonna do about it?
    say "please, please, stop doing it, it's wrong and it sounds awful!"

• I hate when people say "buses" when the plural of bus (like cactus and octopus) is obviously "bi".

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    Yeah, it's just like when your talking to someone about making beats or whatever and they say "yeah i'm using reasons"...It's f#&*ing Reason, where did the damn "s" come from?

This was a big joke amongs the sales guys when I worked retail. We had someone ask for "Pro Cake". I had someone ask for "like you know, the analog (puts hands in shape of an mbox), you know, um, track???"

I just looked at this dude, trying to keep a straight face while my boy literally rolls on the ground laughing behind him. "Yeah, try the other dept...."

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    They sound like they're from Philly - Philadelphians pluralize EVERYTHING.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I guess you can seriously blame the Europeans for this...

Germans are amongst the worst when it comes to misuse and mutilation of enlish terms.

Can you believe that the official German word for cellphone is "Handy" as in "Ruf mich auf meinem Handy an". Makes me cringe everytime I hear it.

Those awful aluminum fold-up scooters which even grown ups liked to ridicule themselves with some 10 years ago were sold as "Kickboards" in German stores.

Germans also like to call clubs a "Location"...

And everyone has their own horribly sounding way to mispronounce the word "Lounge"

Fucking morons...
    My girlfriend is a german & this is a constant supply of jokes, hearing her try to say anatomy or metamorphosis or alphabetise had me in stitches the first time. Another good one is to get her talking about the band Wall of Voodoo...

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    This shit irks me too.

For the language dorks out there, the reason "vinyls" sounds so ridiculous is because the word vinyl is what's known as a substance noun. Substance nouns are almost always used as indefinite plurals, meaning they can't gracefully be used to refer to specific objects. Thus, adding a pluralizing 's' to substance nouns is redundant, and makes the word sound awkward (e.g. "muds", waters", "irons", etc.).