Who actually owns a coogi sweater?

2»

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Are you guys really so young that you don't remember how atrocious this shit looked the first time around?

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,895 Posts
    I recall being literally stopped in my tracks in Australia when I saw my first Coogee (for they are named after the beach there) sweater. It was like someone let Stevie Wonder loose on the loom b/w a woolen cross-section of Jupiter. UNROCKARBL.

For me the 80s produced the best kicks designs. Adidas ZXZ, OG NB 990 etc. The marketing men are running the designs now. Not feeling that melted Transformer school of thought.

Other still-rockable 80s moves (in a knowing Scally way):
    Adidas Lendl/The Mack polo shirts
    Sergio Tacchini / Pringle / Lyle & Scott Golf sweaters
    Kappa trackie tops a la the USA 1983 World Track & Field (grey) or 1984 Olympic (red) squads (Willie Gault / Ron Brown / Calvin Smith / Carl Lewis 37.84 steez)
    Ed Moses shades.
    You could pull a few Trenchcoat Soul??? moves now if you have the attitude.

Most other things were cringeworthy. I recall the band King, Paul Young's hair, Kajagoogoo, Duran Duran, Michael J Fox, Linda Hamilton, Miami Vice... UGH.

• Big was the only dude who could pull that shit off.

Except Big wasn't trying to pull shit off - coogi was - and still is - seen with some frequency around the West Indian parts of Brooklyn. He was just repping a local style, let us be thankful he opted for the coogi instead of the mesh tank top.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I have an 'inspired by' COOGI in earth tones - Faux's seen me in it.

• Big was the only dude who could pull that shit off.

Except Big wasn't trying to pull shit off - coogi was - and still is - seen with some frequency around the West Indian parts of Brooklyn. He was just repping a local style, let us be thankful he opted for the coogi instead of the mesh tank top[/b].

Better knowed as the string vest.

Lord have mercy, indeed.

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    I freelanced designed for coogi last year. Nice people.

• It was like someone let Stevie Wonder loose on the loom b/w a woolen cross-section of Jupiter.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    my store has 2 80s coogi sweaters at it right now. i tried them on and couldnt pull them off but theyre pretty fuckin cool. that new stuff posted in this thread is AMAZING.

if anybody wants the coogis at my store, PM ME

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    how much for your coogi's?

i have to make sure theyre still there. i know there was at least 1 official coogi, but 3 or 4 that looked like coogis (maybe they were, i only checked the tag on one)

send me a box and shipping and you can have em.

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    sell that shit to these folcks:

http://www.fruitionlv.com/

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    i have to make sure theyre still there. i know there was at least 1 official coogi, but 3 or 4 that looked like coogis (maybe they were, i only checked the tag on one)

send me a box and shipping and you can have em.
    Check PM's!

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Hot garbage like this is why I only fuck with the classics (Penguin and Izod). Got folks walking around in public wearing their grandma's lined cruise windbreakers. When do the chunky over-glasses wraparounds and blue-haired wigs come into fashion? I hear walkers with tennis-ball feet are N-X-E-T.

So 2009:

if it happens, it happens.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Big was the only dude who could pull that shit off.

Except Big wasn't trying to pull shit off - coogi was - and still is - seen with some frequency around the West Indian parts of Brooklyn. He was just repping a local style, let us be thankful he opted for the coogi instead of the mesh tank top.

Well, I think the look was a little more calculated than that--I've heard Puff talk about getting BIG out of his tims and hoodie and trying to craft an image for that suggested he was more of an old head. Like he was a numbers guy.

So, definitely a locally popular style, but perhaps not entirely age appropriate. BIG definitely had the physical presence to carry it off, though--he had dignity beyond his years.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Big was the only dude who could pull that shit off.

Well, I think the look was a little more calculated than that--I've heard Puff talk about getting BIG out of his tims and hoodie and trying to craft an image for that suggested he was more of an old head. Like he was a numbers guy.

So, definitely a locally popular style, but perhaps not entirely age appropriate. BIG definitely had the physical presence to carry it off, though--he had dignity beyond his years.

By the time Big was sportin Coogi for his photo shoots the brand was dead amongst fly cats in the hood.
    At one time Coogi actually had some status and was worn by middle class old black cats. Once it passed, local poor folk w/out taste held on the brand.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

lava