Californication

novasolnovasol 204 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
This Showtime series has got me by the balls. Never mind the lead David Duchoveny character improbable nonchalant sexual conquests (that seem to just materialize), this show is damn well written...sharply witty. Have I lowered my standards?

Comments

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    Have I lowered my standards?

Yes, this show sucks ass.

• novasolnovasol 204 Posts
    Honest and blunt...thank you! I'm gonna still watch.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts

there got a ten titty per episode ratio going on...

AND

its a good companion to weeds

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts

AND

its a good companion to weeds

The titties are great the show still sucks.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i like it cos david duchavony's character reminds me a lot of myself beyond having sex all the time, the kid, and wanting to get married.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Showtime has started airing trailers for the new season of Dexter.

• Have I lowered my standards?

This is what I like about Showtime. Ten titty ratio? Are you shitting me? In a half hour? Entourage is like a coupla titties every third ep.

Family Business and Debbie Does Dallas Again...like I said, big ups to Showtime.

• i thought the first episode was entertaining. its like entourage for the 40 plus crowd.

weeds has been a little disappointing. they are really going out of their way to make this show be progressively unrealistic. 4th season will take place on Mars.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    entourage

speaking of.....I was just going over this week's episode in my head and was like "wait, did they really just air another episode in which their homie Walsh flips out, the future of the project is in danger, only to have Ari go to the studio execs and implausibly convince them to greenlight it, at which point the clock is set back to zero in preparation for the next episode?!?"

since this is like the 3rd season, when are the HBO execs gonna, I dunno, like subtely urge the Entourage screenwriters to come up with, you know, a second possible plotline for each fucking episode?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    weeds has been a little disappointing. they are really going out of their way to make this show be progressively unrealistic. 4th season will take place on Mars.
    shits just too crazy at this point. i would welcome the mars tip though.

entourage been lacking but that furry episode with drama has to be one of the greatest episodes they've had

• entourage

speaking of.....I was just going over this week's episode in my head and was like "wait, did they really just air another episode in which their homie Walsh flips out, the future of the project is in danger, only to have Ari go to the studio execs and implausibly convince them to greenlight it, at which point the clock is set back to zero in preparation for the next episode?!?"

i had this conversation with someone about a month ago.

if walsh is in the episode, it generally goes as follows:

- E or Ari question walsh's dependability
    - Vince assures everyone that Walsh is fine
    - Walsh does something retarded
    - Everyone except Vince bugs out
    - Ari and/or E have to do something to quell the situation, which appears unrepairable
    - Miraculously....the walsh problem gets solved.
    - The show ends with some doubt as to whether walsh is gonna f*ck everything up again.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    cant they just have a walsh epsisode where they just cruise at a strip club for the entire thing.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    but even if Walsh isn't in the episode, it's just as predictable:

last season + first half of this season: goofy cheeleading in the kitchen, call from Piven, the Medillin movie resurfaces, rest of the episode they try to get the Medillin movie thing going again, only to have the thing fall through in the end. Rinse. Repeat.

now that Medillin is behind them, it's just another movie project that hangs perilously in the balance until some improbable solution is reached, only to have the same schitt happen in the next episode.

seriously the show is so fresh out of ideas that they had to resort to sight gags in the last episode: remember the whole 4-way split screen gimic with Ari trying to reach E trying to reach Ari's gay secretary trying to reach Vince? what the fuck was that waste of time?

meanwhile they move from house to apartment to house to apartment to hotel to house depending on how much money Vince has at the moment. zzzzzzzzzz....it's like Mark Walberg had about a season's worth of ideas from his life as an actor in Hollywood rolling around with his boys and spending more money than he really had and yet not really caring. but that season aired like three yrs ago. seriously they are running on empty.

jeremy piven + celebrity cameos + "cool" (read: 12 months old) pop references = entourage life support.

• jeremy piven + celebrity cameos + "cool" (read: 12 months old) pop references = entourage life support.

It's funny you dudes keep watching these shows you hate.

Not that y're wrong, rootless....it's all brain candy anyway though. It seems the only good eps in season 4 are the ones that have Walsh in them.

I fucks w/ Weeds though. I think it's hilariously absurd and still entertaining.

so last night i met

hard to explain but she really didn't look much better than a normal cute valley girl to me
    i might have been distracted though because she was coincidentally right next to lynn from 'major league'

• Maybe because i got on the bandwagon late (season 2) but why is anyone looking at Entourage for high quality television? It's a cool show. It's entertaining for 30 minutes. I never got the idea that this was serious art we had on our hands. I still watch and enjoy it, while not disagreeing with any of the complaints above... but then, I never thought that it would be anything more than visual junk food.

I miss Sloan

• so last night i met

hard to explain but she really didn't look much better than a normal cute valley girl to me
    i might have been distracted though because she was coincidentally right next to lynn from 'major league'

DUDE Y'RE TRIPPIN MANDREW. SO LOVELY. X 1000000

the weird thing about it is i saw her but didn't recognize her when we entered the lobby of the movie theater and i said to my companion, "i bet you know that girl" just becauuse she knows everyone in town. friend did a double take, realized i was right, and ran over to say hi. i was like "typical" and went about buying tix. a minute later friend came over with sloan and she's like "this is mandrew" and sloan was like, "hi, i'm emmanuelle" and i wasn't all that impressed.

but you think i don't see the lovliness in that picture?
    or this one?

i do. she looks foxy.
    but i met her and in person she just looks plain ol' cute. sorry.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    entourage been lacking but that furry episode with drama has to be one of the greatest episodes they've had

I just lost a lot of respect for you.

Maybe because i got on the bandwagon late (season 2) but why is anyone looking at Entourage for high quality television? It's a cool show. It's entertaining for 30 minutes. I never got the idea that this was serious art we had on our hands. I still watch and enjoy it, while not disagreeing with any of the complaints above... but then, I never thought that it would be anything more than visual junk food.

I miss Sloan

agree strongly with this. but its frustrating when the aspects of the show (and others like it such as 'weeds') are clearly very insightful, funny, and even intelligent at times, and other aspects of the show are completely predictable and formulaic.