weekday finds

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
week started off right...stopped off at the local corporate mega store that, for a year or so now, is buying and selling records. Fleetwood Mac "Rumours" $10, shit like that...but the 35 cent "clearance" bin is where its at:

Comments

• i found stacey q "2 of hearts". i was very happy. oh and a hoodoo blues man lp.

• JroamJroam 257 Posts
    syreeta promo- quick slick/out the box
    bustin loose ost
    sara frankie paul s/t

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    sara frankie paul s/t

The artist is Frankie Paul, the album title is Sara.
    The typography on the cover is misleading.

http://www.roots-archives.com/release/906

• heres some bits form the last few days -- mostly procured in trade:

the Gary McFarland & Peter Smith is a lovely listen .... the Godz 2 isnt.

the 7 sans pic sleeve is CRAZY ELEPHANT - "pam" ... so i dont have to lug the LP out when i dj

• too bad you found that godz to be mediocre. found that faith record the other day and thought it was

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    That Don Ellis is actually pretty good. Got some sleeper heat on it.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    from last week/weekend in SF. Picked up some basics that I was missing.

i was generally pretty happy w/ what i picked up. Red Devil records in San Rafael is alright, Village was depressing, Groove Merchant was perfect as usual, amoeba was eh, as usual.
    edit: bah! imageshack stay fucking with my browser. I'll put this shit somewhere else later.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    the week keeps getting better..stopped off at a spot on my way to work
    Wendy Rene Raer:

• too bad you found that godz to be mediocre. found that faith record the other day and thought it was

certainly didnt find it mediocre -- but its pretty tough going. an aquired tase i imagine. the faith is a pretty mediocre Lp but the first track and the killer break on the second means i got my moneys worth out of it...

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    heres some bits form the last few days -- mostly procured in trade:

the 7 sans pic sleeve is CRAZY ELEPHANT - "pam" ... so i dont have to lug the LP out when i dj

ive never seen a copy of Faith that DOESNT have a cut corner, yet i see this lp EVERYWHERE.

they must have pressed 124897487478498 copies and sold 6...

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    this is really from the past week or so. fleas, thrifts and yard sales.

found three of the above 45 at a nearby yard sale at a ladies place who ran a local studio. anyhow, I suspected it to be a 60s garage rock group--and it was! the band appeared to have been from NE Philadelphia and recorded one 45 in 69. i couldn't find any info on them really other than they are comped on some small back from the grave styled comp.
    thankfully jamie dd just purchased a book with pretty much a full discography of pennsylvania garage rock bands -- and found out that members of the group later went to the A's.
    the cut 'c-o-l-o-r-s' is a awesome fuzz/psych garage punker.

since i had three of them, i traded one to jamie for this hot local pocono mid-60s garage single --

45s -- one of the 45s i also found from that ladies yard sale was a group called Springhead Motorshark -- from south central pa in the early 70s and is signed by the singer. they sound like a cross between jethro tull meets the stooges. weird combo. lead singer liked the flute and ian anderson obviously, but the sound is tougher and rawer like the stooges.

again couldn't find too much info on this release but apparently the singer went on to form some 80s garage rock revivalist band and is a main organizer of the cavestomp garage rock fests.

other 45s in there -- 70s reggae stuff -- a couple of reggae blanks -- i am thinking one is augustus pablo but am not 100% certain. one side is this awesome funky psychish reggae with a female vocalist. seriously awesome but have no clue who it is.
    other reggae 45s from: sonya spence, neville martin on clandisc, new establishment on studio one, trevor thompson and the debonaires, wiloughby neville.
    dead stock promo copies of sir douglas quintet (she digs my love/when i sing the blues), the pretty things (walking through my dreams/talkin' about the good times), television 'prove it'/'venus',soul 45 from freddie houston on old town ('chills and fever'/'i gotta move') and a soul gospel 45 from the dynamic gaylarks' on the appropriately titled newark, nj Gospel Soul label--

i got a story about some of the records. at a salvo they just put out a bunch of records. this salvo is cheap--like 25 cents a record. so i pull out a bunch of brian eno lps, some art avant/garde stuff (shown in photos), some good classic rock titles to resell--i pull out like 120 records for 30 bucks or something.
    i get a big cart to put them in--and like five minutes later some guy comes in storming over to the records and is cursing. an employee had told him there was a bunch of records just unloaded at another salvo. he is in a tizzy and cursing a storm.
    i notice this and put some clothes over the records in my cart so he won't come over to me and get all pissy. best thing is he was wearing a EBAY hat! it's hilarious yet sad. guy keeps on making a scene so once he goes back to another area of the store i get into line pronto and pay for it and hauled out of there!

anyways-- here is my finds --

cover doesn't state anything but there is a genesis p. orridge 12" ep of him doing serge gainsbourg's 'je t'aime', also another ubiquitous lp cover that is from nyc band rat at rat r. most of that was photo was from that salvo i mentioned earlier.

ou probably wouldn't think much of it just by seeing the cover--but the los tremendas lp has a couple of heavy, spacey insane funk instrumentals. and the lou perez lp also has a couple of hot funk cuts (afro hustle being the highlight). both lps are signed too. the los tremendas lp funk cut is seriously one of the best--if not THE best latin funk i've ever heard. i don't think it has been comped.

this 12" too --

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    too bad you found that godz to be mediocre. found that faith record the other day and thought it was

certainly didnt find it mediocre -- but its pretty tough going. an aquired tase i imagine. the faith is a pretty mediocre Lp but the first track and the killer break on the second means i got my moneys worth out of it...

Yeah, nice bassline on that, otherwise not really worth keeping IMO. somehow I still have it though.

• JroamJroam 257 Posts
    sterio 12" moonlight/precious love
    think i got this one right cpeetz, btw listened to that frankie paul and it's a nice dollar find

• That Don Ellis is actually pretty good. Got a Quasimoto loop on it.

ive never seen a copy of Faith that DOESNT have a cut corner, yet i see this lp EVERYWHERE.

i got one without the cut corner

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

What's the dealio with this one? Any good?

it;s alright. merlin is the better cut. good electro hip hot cut. it's been going for some cash as of late.

• Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

kind cool.... outta venice beach....picked it up at the thrift....

• ive never seen a copy of Faith that DOESNT have a cut corner, yet i see this lp EVERYWHERE.

i got one without the cut corner

mega

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Red Devil records in San Rafael

Oh man. That guy is one of the most straight up unpleasant dudes I've dealt with. Like, hey dude I'm spending over a hundred bucks at your shop so can you maybe not be a savage prick for a whole 5 minutes while you ring me up?

• 1219197712191977 323 Posts

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

how's the ian carr? was that their first lp?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Great album!

You would be very disappointed with my pressing.

how's the ian carr? was that their first lp?

no -- its a lter one with Nucleus from 73 ... its pretty fucking savage --- lots of beats and moody downtempo jazz rock. my favourite Nucleus LP is still "we'll talk about it later".. that ones a monster

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts

today for $5.00

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

kind cool.... outta venice beach....picked it up at the thrift....

What does it sound like??

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts

today for $5.00

i still havent heard this but either way id probably turn all if this happened to me.

i love dudes turntable set up. i wanna see a 'turntablist' with his turntables tonearm-in.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts

today for $5.00

DIE