Hurricane Dean

magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
No this isn't a new rapper Its heading towards Jamaica the projected path is supposed to be straight across the island should hit by Sunday morning its a catergory 4 at the moment,150 mph winds,wish us luck and foreign aid.

Comments

• Stay strong down there. Head for the mountains!

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    Head for the mountains!

Thanks Johnny, but thats the wrong thing to do the wind gusts are greater the higher up you are.I might have to go underground.

I was at the supermarket a little earlier there wasn't any baked items (bread,crackers, etc)left on the shelves
    Everyones in a frenzy at the moment.

• Mag-

I was talking to our mutual friend [email]J@r@my[/email] and he said shit was getting kinda hectic down there. Be safe man.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    I was at the supermarket a little earlier there wasn't any baked items (bread,crackers, etc)left on the shelves
    Everyones in a frenzy at the moment.

Hold tight and be safe. I hope it's not as bad as they're making it seem.
    Have you been through this before?

Yeah Day i've been through it before,last time we got a direct hit was in the late 80's with hurricane Gilbert,we also had one about 2 or 3 years ago that passed us where we got some the winds and heavy rain.On that occasion my bedroom leaked badly.
    Just got off the roof(zinc)checking to see if the gutters were clear.

• phono13phono13 842 Posts
    Best of Luck

• Yeah man they're saying it might be a category 5, direct hit? Get thyself to safety man.

How much of Jamaica is at or below sea level?

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Yeah man they're saying it might be a category 5, direct hit? Get thyself to safety man.

Seriously, and let us know you made it through alright.

Mag-

I was talking to our mutual friend [Email]J@r@my[/Email] and he said shit was getting kinda hectic down there. Be safe man.

Thanks i'm hoping everything works out for the best.
    I cant deal with not having power for any extended period of time.
    After Gilbert we didn't have electricity for about 2 months.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    stay strong. make sure wherever you go you bring the portable and some batteries

How much of Jamaica is at or below sea level?

Not sure, but most of the southern coastal regions might be below sea level.
    we aren't a flat country though.
    I remember the airport road in kingston being covered with sand last time around,the road in on a peninsula.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Mag,

Be safe brother. I hope the hurricane passes through JA with only minor issues. Let us know how you are doing.

• Best wishes from SF homie, may you weather the storm safely.

Chan and J**h good looking out,i'll be online until they shut off the power,i'm about to start bagging up the valuables i'm procrastinating a little still cant believe its on course to hit.This is gonna be bigger than Gilbert,i shudder to think whats gonna happen if this is the case.

• Options
    Chan and J**h good looking out,i'll be online until they shut off the power,i'm about to start bagging up the valuables i'm procrastinating a little still cant believe its on course to hit.This is gonna be bigger than Gilbert,i shudder to think whats gonna happen if this is the case.

Hold your head Mags, stay safe and keep us informed. I'll be thinking bout you.

Hold your head Mags, stay safe and keep us informed. I'll be thinking bout you.

Thanks Sween.

• good luck dude.

be safe.

Everthing's ok,only one tree fell in the backyard, no major roof damage other than a section of the storm gutter that flew off.
    The hurricane passed 50km from the south coast we didn't experience the full force
    of the storm winds, we got the outer band which is more the tropical storm strength.
    There were storm surges along the southern coast though.
    Power was restored around a hour ago in my area but i'm still without water.I'm dying to take a bath i haven't done so since saturday night.
    This morning when i was driving to work none of the street lights were working and there was only one policeman directing traffic at a single major intersection(there are 5 intersections i have to pass through to get to work normally).
    When i travelled back in the opposite direction a couple minutes later he was gone,it was total chaos.
    Thanks to everyone for their show of concern.

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    nice to hear that...