Who Watches The Watchmen

nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
03/06/09The first official image from the director Zack Snyder, a test shot of Rorshach holding The Comedian's button, was actually hidden in the trailer for the film "300". It features one of the director's associates wearing a makeshift mask in front of a composite New York backdrop, and was created during filming on 300 as an experiment by Snyder to establish the mood and look of his proposed WATCHMEN project. Zack Snyder's wife bet $100 against him that no one would discover it, while Zack was convinced that someone would find it almost immediately. Zack won Carla Gugino ... Sally Jupiter/Silk Spectre Billy Crudup ... Jon Osterman/Dr. Manhattan Patrick Wilson ... The Night Owl (attached) Jeffrey Dean Morgan The Comedian Malin Akerman ... Laurie Juspeczyk/The Silk Spectre Jackie Earle Haley Walter Kovacs/Rorschach Matthew Goode Adrian Veidt/Ozymandias http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0409459/Oh jesus No.......

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I just don't think this can be pulled off but fuck it, I'll still go see what they come up with.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    Ugh... why wouldn't they just let Terry Gilliam do the 6/12-part mini series?

• edulusedulus 421 Posts
    Ugh... why wouldn't they just let Terry Gilliam do the 6/12-part mini series?

yea.....i dunno if this can really be pulled off in a single movie.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    This is going to have to be at least 3 hours long to work.
    Ugh... I REALLY hope they do this justice and not turn it into a Spiderman clone.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Just be glad THIS never happened:

During early development in the early 1990s, mainly focused around the screenplay by Samm Hamm, early casting rumors included Robin Williams as Rorschach, Jamie Lee Curtis as Silk Spectre, Gary Busey as the Comedian, and both Richard Gere and Kevin Costner considered for the role of Nite Owl II. The project underwent numerous rewrites under director Terry Gilliam and his collaborator Charles McKeown, but got eventually shelved by Warner Bros.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Gary Busey as the Comedian

Actually, I think he'd be great.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    this is argueably the greatset comic story evar. There are things beyond the matching the actors to the heroes,getting tight CGI visuals, and having good action.

Shit is almost untranslatable.

We'll see.

• i have tried to read this about 3 times. i dont like it. its kinda boring and the art sucks.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Gary Busey as the Comedian

Actually, I think he'd be great.

I'm so over Gary Busey.

"hey look it's CRRRRAZY Gary Busey!!! He's just so ZANY!!!"

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz............

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    i have tried to read this about 3 times. i dont like it. its kinda boring and the art sucks.

[2008 ghost bump]It was a shame that day BATMON snapped and killed shig.[/2008 ghost bump]

• i have tried to read this about 3 times. i dont like it. its kinda boring and the art sucks.

[2008 ghost bump]It was a shame that day BATMON snapped and killed shig.[/2008 ghost bump]

bitch plaese. this is a job for SUPERUGLY!

Shig,

I'm not the only person who's likely to say this but the book is fucking genius and is more prescient than ever in a post 9/11 world.

i have tried to read this about 3 times. i dont like it. its kinda boring and the art sucks.

It is slow and the art isnt breakface, but what it did for the genre still resonates to this day.

The Marvel Civil War is a st8 BITE from the Watchmen's Hero Registration Act.

For a really good discussion of Watchmen, Yall should check last months Wizard.
    There are design concepts in the layout/panelling that were st8 next level shit.

This book is diff than a regular superhero book where cats can kinds fuck w/ a characters mythology and warp it to whatever for it to sell.

Sin City had the luxury of Frank Miller in the mix. And it went over very well within the comic community. I hope whomever is doin this has the right collective behind this shit.

Hollywood is shooting 45% from the field w/ this comic shit.

That seems rather generous.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    st8 = str8

...carry on nerds.

im being nice.

Ghost Rider....doodoo

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts

im being nice.

Ghost Rider....doodoo

i was a fan of GR and have quite a few of the comics and i have to say that the movie was garbage. im glad i watched it online and didnt spend dough on it.

im being nice.

Ghost Rider....doodoo

i was a fan of GR and have quite a few of the comics and i have to say that the movie was garbage. im glad i watched it online and didnt spend dough on it.

No doubt.

GR is a cult fav. Shiiiiit they can do Blade & The Crow well but fucked up on GR.
    Terrible.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    this is argueably the greatset comic story evar. There are things beyond the matching the actors to the heroes,getting tight CGI visuals, and having good action.

We'll see.

No.

Not arguably, UNQUESTIONABLY.

I am not holding much faith in a movie adaptation whatsoever, And as noted above, you would need AT LEAST 3 hours.

I'm not the only person who's likely to say this but the book is fucking genius and is more prescient than ever in a post 9/11 world.

Eggs akly.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

my uncle gave it to me when i was 12 and reading marvel stuff only... i thought it looked stupid and put it aside for a couple years and dragged it on a roadtrip one year... it took a little while and then i was hooked...

it is the best comic story ever... and every time i read it, i find something else... the panel construction is just so dense... it is a story that was meant to be told in a comic form and uses every single attribute of comic books in a way to bring the story out in a way that a movie or even a novel could not...

the key to making a good adaptation will be to take liberties in an intelligent way... use the unique attributes of film as a medium the way the original used the unique attributes of comics... however, sadly, what will probably happen is a gross simplification of the plot and a very stupid use of visual symbols...

We'll see.

No.

Sin City
    The Dark Knight Returns
    The Uncanny X-Men - Days of Future Past or The Dark Phoenix Saga
    Alex Ross - Marvels or Kingdom Come
    Justice League 200
    Neal Adams run on Green Arrow/Green Lantern
    Frank millers run on Daredevil - Elektra
    Fantastic Four - Silver Surfer/Galactus - Kirby
    Kirby - New Gods
    George Perez's run on Teen Titans - Terra Betrayal
    Cerebus
    Legion of Superheroes vs Darkseid
    Spiderman - mad stories
    Drunk Iron Man story
    The New Mutants - Ghost Bear story

Drunk Iron Man story

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

We'll see.

No.

Sin City
    The Dark Knight Returns
    Justice League 200
    Kirby - New Gods
    Cerebus
    Spiderman - mad stories
    Drunk Iron Man story

Where does Arkham Asylum fit into all of this? I loved that book as a teen but then again I was never as obsessed as you.

We'll see.

No.

Sin City
    The Dark Knight Returns
    Justice League 200
    Kirby - New Gods
    Cerebus
    Spiderman - mad stories
    Drunk Iron Man story

Where does Arkham Asylum fit into all of this? I loved that book as a teen but then again I was never as obsessed as you.

AA is good but Dark Knight is way better.IMO.

I have no problem w/ Watchmen being called the "best" but theres a handfull of other stuff i feel that can stand next to it.

"the killing joke" is definitely up there w/ best ever...

We'll see.

No.

Sin City
    The Dark Knight Returns
    Justice League 200
    Kirby - New Gods
    Cerebus
    Spiderman - mad stories
    Drunk Iron Man story

Yep, all good 2nd placers.

Really though, this book is just mindblowing, i cant claim to have read all on your list Batman, and i agree that A killing Joke is amazing.

And Arkham Asylum.

shit, i was rummaging in the basement last night and found a clutch of old comics i had tucked away and forgotten abot: my 2 copies of Arkham Asylum (1 still sealed) and my Killing Joke, Dark Knight Returns... God i was such a fanboy, theya re all still in their plastic shells with card inserts.

I wish id kept at it,

I really love all this comic discussion, even though my wife shakes her head.

Batmon, you are the expert: what should i be reading now, that is new and exciting, i havnt brought a comic since, well, the ones i listed above... what am i missing out on?

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,901 Posts
    Hah, good times Batmon. I have most of these. Me and my brothers grew up on these. Also "Black Kiss", "Hellboy", "V For Vendetta" (the film was actuall better than I thought it would be), "Blackhawk"(the other Howard Chaykin classic)...

Dave Gibbons is onboard for the Watchmen movie project and apparently is OK with the screenplay but personally I can't see how they can develop any relationship between these characters in the 100 minutes and tell an epic story too without chopping vital stuff out.

My brother went on to draw for Marvel UK, he's freelance now : http:/www.stuartjennett.com

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,901 Posts
    Also forgot one of my other faves:

"Arthur is awkened from a centuries-long sleep in Glastonbury"
    - I did warn him about bad acid...

"Arthur is awkened from a centuries-long sleep in Glastonbury"
    - I did warn him about bad acid...

"bloody 'ell! oi've been asleep for centuries!"

• I actually read a copy of that Sam Hamm script way back in the day. It was straight garbage. Unbelievably bad.

Zack Snyder was off to a hot start with the Dawn of the Dead remake, then fumbled up that 300 flick really badly. Considering H-wood's track record with Alan Moore material ( he hates what they've done so much he refuses to take money as compensation for narrative/thematic butchery) my hopes aren't too high.

All that aside, that Rorschach still looks cool.

I bet Hooded Justice won't be in the flick....