big pun's wife sells his medallion on e-bay ...

2»

Comments

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
    I understand bling, and still think it's a waste of money. But people are gonna do what they want, it's really none of my business how these dudes spend their money. If they are washed up in 15 years and working at wal-mart then they did it to themselves. I do feel kinda bad for their familys though, it's not to conceientious to blow $$$$ on jewlz while you are alive and then have your wife and kids scraping buy after your death. It's more honorable to provide for your family than to provide for your ego.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    Once again, all of soulstrut is shocked to see any rapper spend money on a chain!

why? You know that shit is par for the course for a sucessful rapper! You gotta have the chain to go with it!

Nah, really you don't, B-ides. This whole "bling" thing is like a big stereotype that everybody in hip hop right now is just falling in line with. Tribe, De La, Public Enemy, Pete Rock, etc. etc... in that era you didn't see every rapper wearing big chains. You don't see Mos Def, Talib Kweli etc. wearing bling now (even if Mos couldn't afford it from his music career I'm pretty sure he could buy all the diamonds he wanted from his acting career paychecks). You never saw Em rocking that shit until recently- I don't know what the hell happened to him.

It's true that, like Dee Rock said, rappers have been wearing chains and what have you since the beginning. But as the amount of money rappers make has gone up, so has the amount they spend on jewelry. To each his own, but there's no argument I'm trying to hear that says that there's anything smart about spending $100,000 for a damn chain. Maybe if you're Bill Gates or Oprah or somebody (and of course they have no interest in shit like that). But a rapper??? Like I said, to each his own, but I bet' not hear about none of this bling wearin' muhfuckas being broke and homeless after their rap career is over. If Pun had invested that $100,000 a little more wisely maybe his wife and kids wouldn't have to resort to this pitiful Ebay business in order to pay their bills.

Yea, a lot of people aren't old enough to realize that RUN DMC got some sideways looks when they first started with the chains. Plus, they weren't real, just some plated metal. At the time people were like "Show offs, that ain't keeping it real." Same with LL Cool J Walk Like a Panther. People were like "What a jerk showing off his money and jewels with that pather like he's better than us." (not everyone said this, but it was said) Now the whole bling bling thing is the standard image.

maybe you're not old enough to remember that it was just as standard back then as it is now...Just about every rapper i can think of back then had a thick gold rope chain.

Eric B. and Rakim
    Slick Rick - like whoa
    Biz
    Big Daddy Kane (and his dancers Scoob and Scrap)
    Heavy D (and his dancers and dj)
    Salt N Pepa (and both Spinderellas)
    Jaz (and his side man Jay-Zee now known as Jigga)
    Roxanne Shante
    LL Cool J
    Run DMC (that shit was real homie)
    Whodini
    Real Roxanne (girl had some SERIOUS bamboo earrings)
    Rodney O & Joe Cooley
    Sir Mixalot
    Kid Sensation

I could keep going for hours on this...it's the same shit now, only there's more money in the industry now so there's more money going into the accessories now.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    I dunno, Id have myself a nice chain if I had a platinum record out. Thats all Im saying. I like that shit.

Not downin' you or any other big chain lovers at all, B... I can't front, back in the late 80's I had the requisite three finger ring, some nuggets, even a medium sized dookie rope. That was just gold, though- none o' that shit cost anywhere near $100,000.
    So if you had a platinum record you'd spend $100,000 on a chain? How much money do you really see off of a platinum record after all the expenses? Hey, do what ever floats ya boat, hommie. But I'd advise you to take that money, buy some property cheap, fix 'em up and sell at a nice profit, flip that money and do the same thing... so on and so on. THEN go ahead and buy that $100,000 chain if you want to. But always remember, easy come...

...easy go.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Just about every rapper i know[/b] had a thick gold rope chain.

Eric B. and Rakim
    Slick Rick - like whoa
    Biz
    Roxanne Shante
    LL Cool J
    Whodini
    Rodney O & Joe Cooley
    Sir Mixalot
    Kid Sensation

You dropped something, hoLmes.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    haha, I wouldn't pick that crap up if it was on the side of the street for free.
    shut the fuck up, bitch.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    dookie gold ropes look cool. that TS chain looks like shit.
    hahahahahahahahah! THIS THREAD SHOULD HAVE ENDED WITH THAT.

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    I'm sure this is probably very far feteched, but if ANYONE can get me an original of the Chain Snatchin' Season advertisment I seriously want one! That is classic shit. So no one knew there was a connection of Jewelery in NYC but yet the transit system posted these warning signs? You heard it on the radio and seen it on the t.v. show - A to the K? That Pun piece is just god awful!

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    Oh, yeah one more thing to point out. The sign says "AGAIN"!!!!!!!! So you see there are seasons for the vic.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    Well, you know I ain't into the jewels but I gotta admit, homeboy... you got probably the nicest one IMO with that 45 adapter jawn.

• head034head034 24 Posts
    Word!!!

Nah, really you don't, B-ides. This whole "bling" thing is like a big stereotype that everybody in hip hop right now is just falling in line with. Tribe, De La, Public Enemy, Pete Rock, etc. etc... in that era you didn't see every rapper wearing big chains. You don't see Mos Def, Talib Kweli etc. wearing bling now (even if Mos couldn't afford it from his music career I'm pretty sure he could buy all the diamonds he wanted from his acting career paychecks). You never saw Em rocking that shit until recently- I don't know what the hell happened to him.

It's true that, like Dee Rock said, rappers have been wearing chains and what have you since the beginning. But as the amount of money rappers make has gone up, so has the amount they spend on jewelry. To each his own, but there's no argument I'm trying to hear that says that there's anything smart about spending $100,000 for a damn chain. Maybe if you're Bill Gates or Oprah or somebody (and of course they have no interest in shit like that). But a rapper??? Like I said, to each his own, but I bet' not hear about none of these bling wearin' muhfuckas being broke and homeless after their rap career is over. If Pun had invested that $100,000 a little more wisely maybe his wife and kids wouldn't have to resort to this pitiful Ebay business in order to pay their bills.

Bottom line: only unintelligent people are gonna be real impressed with a $100,000 chain. The rest of us are not gonna be impressed. At all.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Once again, all of soulstrut is shocked to see any rapper spend money on a chain!

why? You know that shit is par for the course for a sucessful rapper! You gotta have the chain to go with it!

It's true that, like Dee Rock said, rappers have been wearing chains and what have you since the beginning. But as the amount of money rappers make has gone up, so has the amount they spend on jewelry. To each his own, but there's no argument I'm trying to hear that says that there's anything smart about spending $100,000 for a damn chain. Maybe if you're Bill Gates or Oprah or somebody (and of course they have no interest in shit like that). But a rapper??? Like I said, to each his own, but I bet' not hear about none of this bling wearin' muhfuckas being broke and homeless after their rap career is over. If Pun had invested that $100,000 a little more wisely maybe his wife and kids wouldn't have to resort to this pitiful Ebay business in order to pay their bills.

Yea, a lot of people aren't old enough to realize that RUN DMC got some sideways looks when they first started with the chains. Plus, they weren't real, just some plated metal. At the time people were like "Show offs, that ain't keeping it real." Same with LL Cool J Walk Like a Panther. People were like "What a jerk showing off his money and jewels with that pather like he's better than us." (not everyone said this, but it was said) Now the whole bling bling thing is the standard image.

maybe you're not old enough to remember that it was just as standard back then as it is now...Just about every rapper i can think of back then had a thick gold rope chain.

Eric B. and Rakim
    Slick Rick - like whoa
    Biz
    Roxanne Shante
    LL Cool J
    Whodini
    Rodney O & Joe Cooley
    Sir Mixalot
    Kid Sensation

I could keep going for hours on this...it's the same shit now, only there's more money in the industry now so there's more money going into the accessories now.

Yea, AFTER RUN DMC started it. Geeez. Plus, people have been wearing gold chains for a long time, so it's not like hip hop started people on gold chains. Like Phil pointed out their is a big difference between a gold chain and a platinum chain with $10,000 worth of diamonds. You mad?

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Id definitely make sure my investments were straight before splurging, and Ill admit that big chains are something I kind of appreciate rather than desire personally.

I mean, alot of people look at pictures and say what the fuck?, but if you see that shit in person, and the light hits it right, that flashy shit can make any outfit look proper.

Cosign on supreme's chain being one of the illest.

But wait, Supreme was in the my posse's on broadway video flashing gold ropes?