TOP 5 ROAD TRIP ALBUMS

edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
Summer's not over yet! ready set go1) 2) 3)4) 5) big sur, i miss yousee you soon

Comments

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    1)

2)

3)

4)

5)

• some eno.

some dylan.

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts
    1)

This has been bumped by my father and I on a few road trips, along with anything by Sade.

POR FAVOR, BELIEBIT!

• I travel alone and listen to this

fuck. anyone who hasn't heard this, needs to. It haunts me, and the road is always there.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,893 Posts

I was forever dismissing this as hokey until I actually heard it. One of my top 3 evarrs.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    1 - Good for night-time driving

2 - Good for sea-side driving on a cloudy day

3 - Good for pulling into a city when you're fresh off the highway and still on the outskirts before the buildings get too tall (Co-sign)

4 - Good for hearing a record in a whole new light: listening to it in Georgia as opposed to listening to it in Toronto

5 - Good for the city and the country

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

• deeseldeesel 61 Posts

Modest Mouse has made some questionable records in the past few years, but this one and Lonesome Crowded West capture the feeling of highway driving like few other albums.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Just took a nice roadtrip, actually played the first Neu!

For me:

1.) Neil Young, Harvest
    2.) Van Morrison, Astral Weeks or Blowin' Your Mind
    3.) Mississippi John Hurt, Avalon Blues
    4.) Zepplin, III
    5.) Luna, Penthouse

I also played the heck of the first half of that new Feist album

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

• ZekeZeke 221 Posts
    I like to catch up on podcasts when I'm driving, but during a few trips this summer I listened to:
    Fugazi - Red Medicine
    Charles Mingus Sextet - Cornell '64
    Jimmy Smith - Root Down
    Grails - Burning Off Impurities
    Dexter Gordon - One Flight Up

Harvey, I am really surprised by this:

I haven't heard this album, but they just don't strike me as a band that a dude like yourself would dig. I know a lot of bands and people that they have toured with them and I've heard that they are "almost too nice."

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    I travel alone and listen to this

fuck. anyone who hasn't heard this, needs to. It haunts me, and the road is always there.

Whoa. I've seen that movie a bunch of times - Warren Oates is my favourite actor of all time - but for some reason, the score never left much of a mark on me. I'd like to rectify this particular character flaw. How easy/difficult is this to come by?

• 1. De La Soul - Stakes Is High

2. A Tribe Called Quest - Midnight Marauders

3. Rage Against The Machine - Evil Empire

4. The Beginning Of The End - Funky Nassau

5. Band of Gypys Live at The Fillmore East

Whoa. I've seen that movie a bunch of times - Warren Oates is my favourite actor of all time - but for some reason, the score never left much of a mark on me. I'd like to rectify this particular character flaw. How easy/difficult is this to come by?

It was never released properly until this (last?) year, so it's easy to find on CD currently. I've never seen the movie.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    looks like harvey already beat me to my #1

i might be alone on this one. i realize it doesn't make any sense since there really is no geographic connection, but I listened to this a lot driving around the twin cities area.

traffic jam.

especially driving in LA

this one is for when you're riding shotgun (so you can cardance/car hype man better)

bonus! driving from seattle to SF in 1.5 days and falling asleep behind the wheel... this will wake you up:

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

Harvey, I am really surprised by this:

I haven't heard this album, but they just don't strike me as a band that a dude like yourself would dig. I know a lot of bands and people that they have toured with them and I've heard that they are "almost too nice."

Well just so you know...I also like REM's Life's Rich Pageant, The first Stone Roses album, The Sundays' Reading Wrriting & Arithmetic, etc. and Eisley hits that same chord for me. The clincher was seeing them perform in Zilker Park a couple of years back on a perfect sunny Texas afternoon. After that sheer pleasure, I picked up the album and have found it to be amazing...especially during the backmeadows drive to and from Port Aransas. Don't ask me why I didn't just go to see them Monday night performing an aucoustic set...

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts

traffic jam.

i think if i listened to this in a traffic jam, it would be bad news

b/w

"Song of the Minerals" and "Dog & Pony Show" =

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts

traffic jam.

i think if i listened to this in a traffic jam, it would be bad news

I'm convinced it makes me a better driver. Maybe it just makes me not care whether or not I hurt myself or other drivers.

The two minute thought process of: "hey... i don't know if i can swing my ride up the curb for a second and run just a bit over that lawn... i can hit that turn lane and make this light... but i might get caught..." turns into "I AM PLAYING SHELLAC VERY LOUD AND DO NOT VALUE HUMAN LIFE. MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE."
    it's therapeutic.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    the only time i used to listen to this album was on road trips

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    the only time i used to listen to this album was on road trips

ditto

also got to say these things have worked pretty well on them overnights to Las Vegas

and these two has been nice for the hour plus of traffic daily

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Also this is a good road trip album

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    I travel alone and listen to this

It was never released properly until this (last?) year, so it's easy to find on CD currently. I've never seen the movie.

Love the film and the score... don't have the CD yet, but I loved the music enough to tape portions of the soundtrack off the DVD when it came out a few years back.

Love the film and the score... don't have the CD yet, but I loved the music enough to tape portions of the soundtrack off the DVD when it came out a few years back.
    I put this on a few times while driving around Baltimore. Feels like the wild west.

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts

• recently had this on for a long drive. ambient enough that you can still have a conversation too.

does a mix cd count?

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts

this one is for when you're riding shotgun (so you can cardance/car hype man better)

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    Perfect timing on the thread. I got the two and a half hour drive to Austin tomorrow and I'm trying to make up my playlist.

• yall must go on some weak ass trips

jus playing

album
    places and spaces-donald byrd

best song
    gary burton- las vegas tango

• SHIT YES. This is my #1 road trip album. I had countless St. Louis to Nashville to St. Louis hellified loud singalongs to this.

AND NOOOOOOOOOOOOOW WE ARE OOOOOOOONE
    IN EEEEEEVERLASTIIIIING PEEEEEEEEEEEEACE
    WE HOOOOOOOooooope that you choooooooke
    that yooou chooooooo ooooooke