Comments

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    wolfgang

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    fair warning.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    They rocked, they're old now.

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    Unchained ... that has pretty much everything you need from that band.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I have been a long time Van Halen fan. They lost me with Haggar and even *gasp* Cherone!

I can tolerate 5150 because they got a few cheesy 80s power ballads that bring back memories of Summer of '86.

1984 was their pinnacle. Their albums before that were a bit off the cuff... I couldn't stand how Eddie's guitar was panned to the left all the time in the recordings. Women and Children First and Diver Down were horrible records. The Jack Daniels bass was a nice touch. Take Your Whiskey Home.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    someeeebody get me a doctorrrr

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    I like how the line goes up the back of the stocking...

There are Van Halen cover bands out there that are better than Van halen ever was in concert.

Atomic Punks come to mind.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Woman and Children (POSTER!) and Diver Down have some great songs.

"I like the little way the line runs up the back of the stockings
    I've always liked those kind of high heels, too, ya know I...
    No, no, no, no don't take 'em off. Don't take...leave 'em on
    Yeah, that's it...a little more to the right"

i like "little dreamer" a lot

so what's going on in that picture? are they touring again or something?

• kalakala 3,361 Posts

"I like the little way the line runs up the back of the stockings
    I've always liked those kind of high heels, too, ya know I...
    No, no, no, no don't take 'em off. Don't take...leave 'em on
    Yeah, that's it...a little more to the right"

yeah dave could prolly pull off a chezzy rap lp
    I mean dude is a true to life pimp/chatterbox so it wouldn't be much of a challenge
    for me fair warning was the pinnacle of heavyness /sick guitar and great songs
    plus the massive impeach the president like break on dirty movies which no one has touched yet?
    the reunion tour should be interesting with wolfie

so what's going on in that picture? are they touring again or something?

It just dawned on me that they are "reuniting" without Miguel Anthony. I give it the fourth or fifth date of their 100 city tour before EVH gets fed up with Roth's antics and the shit is cancelled.

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts

Diver Down has that great noisy freakout "Intruder".

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Anthony is essential...all those vocal hooks and the off the register high harmonies...sucks he aint gonna be there.

Van Halen....easily one of America's greatest rock bands EVAR...shit, I am gonna say it, THE greatest. Not only a hesher and guitar geek's favorite...the band had HOOKS, HUGE fuckin HOOKS...just pop on Van Halen II and tell me you dont hear it. Pop and heaviosity. Fuck Power Poop...Dance the Night Away and Beautiful Girls does what every skinny tie douchetard wanted to do, but did it with with a bottle of jack in one hand and bikini model in the other. VAN HALEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I can tolerate 5150 because they got a few cheesy 80s power ballads that bring back memories of Summer of '86.

I moved from new wave Orange County to who knew what Houston would be like that summer. The decision for me to play football instead of just sticking with basketball-only as originally planned was made last minute by me watching pre-season Oilers and Cowboys games in a dumpy Holiday Inn room waiting for the finishing touches on our new house to be completed. My dad and I met with the coaches who were straight prototypes for all of the movies and tv shows that have been coming out lately on Texas High School football. Think very old fashioned, mutton-chopped ways cinched up in a disturbing display of manhood-revealing coach's shorts. There was even the hotshot Boomhauer qb's coach with a Corvette and a rumored, yet unchallenged sexual relationship with a sophomore cheerleader. Anyway, the team wound up being split between dudes from Clear Lake and dudes from Seabrook. While Clear Lake sported NASA and yuppie heaven, Seabrook casted a lazy live shrimp into Galveston Bay and said "yep". Across the board though, even for the few black dudes, Van Halen was the pinnacle. The first album was considered the holy grail of all music. And 5150 was received with open arms. I had previously been way into 1984, almost sneaking listens to it while my Huntington Beach friends swore that they couldn't stand any sort of hard rock unless it was I suppose Billy Idol. None of the Houston dudes gave any shit about any punk or new wave music. Oh yeah, there were 2 dudes...and they were both considered, and basically were, freaks. I was considered a freak along with them for listening to stuff like the Replacements and even the Cult pre-Electric. But yeah, "it's got what it takes, so tell me why can't this be love" was the anthem. That, and the entirety of the JP Live album. HELL YEAH!!!

• so what's going on in that picture? are they touring again or something?

It just dawned on me that they are "reuniting" without Miguel Anthony. I give it the fourth or fifth date of their 100 city tour before EVH gets fed up with Roth's antics and the shit is cancelled.

I predict they never make it to the stage....[/b]

• fair warning.

.just pop on Van Halen II and tell me you dont hear it. Pop and heaviosity.

Best use of song from Van Halen II

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts

Yikes!

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

Yikes!

whoa........

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    i always liked this guy,note the "off the wall of amps" air to stage kickflip ollie in the intro

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    The correct answer is "Yes."

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts

Yikes!

Seriously!

Anthony is essential...all those vocal hooks and the off the register high harmonies...

i'm trying to look for footage of unchained on youtube because i like his backing vocals for the live performance but the video quality on every one i've found is pretty bad

i did find this though. i'm not sure if it makes up for it

come um um um um baby bottom's up!

• rocco2nrrocco2nr 530 Posts

Yikes!

WHATS WHAMMY BARS PRECIOUS

• In honor of classic VH, I vote that we all walk into an important work meeting a few minutes late this week, only to exclaim, "I don't feel tardy."

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    GOAT

• 1. Runnin' With The Devil
    2. Eruption
    3. You Really Got Me
    4. Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    5. I'm The One
    6. Jamie's Cryin'
    7. Atomic Punk
    8. Feel Your Love Tonight
    9. Little Dreamer
    10. Ice Cream Man
    11. On Fire

off the chain

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    third boyz n da hood related post in two days but the new bnth album will have a song that samples "Jump"

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    Beautiful Girls does what every skinny tie douchetard wanted to do, but did it with with a bottle of jack in one hand and bikini model in the other. VAN HALEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If only this could be my location.