HOW MUCH DO YOU PAY YOUR HIRED HELP?

Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
been thinking about this for a minute... too tired / busy for house chores lately. possibly just a maid / cleaning person but possibly also some sort of a manservant (can't use that title though.... sounds waaay too for my liking... not that there's anything wrong with , i'm just saying for MY liking, being that i'm not ). a personal chef would be nice too, maybe just a couple days a week. didn't some of you on this forum once discuss your butlers and things of that nature? i need some advice... if you're a true plaese help. thanks in advance

Comments

• ZekeZeke 221 Posts
    A while ago I was living out on 6th Street in Conshohocken with some friends who owned a pretty large house. None of us really liked to clean, so we decided to hire a cleaning lady once a week to come through and take care of everything. I can't remember the woman's name, but she didn't work for any specific service and would come on Monday morning/afternoon when we were at work/school. I think it cost us about $100/week. I don't know how long she was there, but she cleaned everything; the dishes, bathrooms, kitchen floor, bedrooms, dusted the TV, cleaned AC filters, etc. The only thing she didn't touch was laundry, though she'd throw stuff on our floors into a hamper. Every Monday we'd come home to a clean house that smelled of fresh cinnamon and cleaning chemicals. Eventually an expensive watch and a wad of cash disappeared. I'm pretty sure it was one of the stoners we frequently let crash on our couch, but my friends all decided it was time for her to go. I live in an apartment now and I enjoy cleaning, though I can't imagine having kids makes it easy.

Good luck. I know there are a few companies in the city that will send a squad of people to clean your house. It only takes a few hours, but I'm not sure how much it costs.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Here are the going rates. HIre high school kids or folks from South America.

Baby Sitter - $10/hour
    Gardener / Lawn Slave - $9/hour
    Brazilian cleaning lady - $75 per session

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    so damn, that's it??? nobody else ain't got no servants working for them?!? i thought this was a predominantly wyte forum... now i'm just disappointed in you and have lost some respect as well

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I pay my cleaning lady $80 per session.

• I contemplated having someone to come once a month to do the dirty work - cleaning the stove, the tub, in between the tiles - once with roommates and more recently with wifey. Usual estimates range from $60-100 for once a month like zeke said above.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Indentured servants are the way to go.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    my girl works as a girl Friday for a rich family here in town, she charges

$20 an hour for cleaning

$12.50 an hour for babysitting, sewing, cooking, etc.....

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    HIre high school kids

$80 per session.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts

Damn!

I've been looking for someone to come by once a month and the lowest I've heard was $150. Can anyone recommend a service around $70-80 in Richmond, VA?

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts

Damn!

I've been looking for someone to come by once a month and the lowest I've heard was $150. Can anyone recommend a service around $70-80 in Richmond, VA?

That's the thing. Services like "Merry Maids" will charge you double what a Polish or Brazilian immigrant would. These people are hard to find, though. But if you can score a good one through word of mouth, they will take care of you!

• I pay my cleaning lady $80 per session.

Damn!

That's the thing. Services like "Merry Maids" will charge you double what a Polish or Brazilian immigrant would. These people are hard to find, though. But if you can score a good one through word of mouth, they will take care of you!

Also bear in mind I am talking like a 2-br apartment for $75. If you have a larger house $150 sounds about right.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Damn!

Barbara Ehrenrich devotes a whole chapter to Merry Maids and basically lays this out: 1) they entirely exploit their labor force while the franchise owner pockets most of the $$$. 2) Maids are trained to do cosmetic cleaning - basically, making shit LOOK clean but many times, they're actually spreading germs and failing to do any real deep cleaning, let alone hygenic cleaning.

In my experience, the main things to look/ask for in hiring a cleaning person is:

1) Someone who charges by the hour. Many will do it by the room and that has some logic but the thing is: you don't want someone who is going to speed through your house, giving it a cosmetic cleaning but not actually getting grime/dirt, etc. out.

2) Someone who brings their own cleaning supplies.

3) Make sure they're not using the same rags that clean your toilet to clean your sink (this is what the Merry Maids did. YEEECCH!). Also make sure they actually use hot water (using tepid water is another sign of trying to speed through a job).

And in general, if I'm hiring through a service (i.e. a company that has teams of cleaners vs. someone who runs their own business and does the cleaning too), I always try to tip 20% or more because I'm assuming the business owner is going to screw them out of a higher % of their wages.

• JoeMojoJoeMojo 720 Posts
    We pay our cleaning lady $30/hr, although I think it's a little more expensive than average out here.

• Options
    I pay my landscaper either 1200 or 1400 a year, I can't remember. I tip my sanitation engineers 20 each (3 of them) at Christmas.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

Damn!

Also bear in mind I am talking like a 2-br apartment for $75. If you have a larger house $150 sounds about right.

Yeah the woman who cleans my 2BR is Polish. I get her 1-2 times monthly. It's worth it and she does a great job. That reminds me, I have to tip her again this year, but I tip all the folks who do shit for me like my super, my UPS dude, the dude at the laundromat etc.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    I pay my landscaper either 1200 or 1400 a year, I can't remember.

yes, i think i pay my lawncare guy something like that too. so why is the schitt looking 50% shades of brown right about now? i might have to fire the muthaf***er

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts

Damn!

2 bedroom here as well. I wouldn't hesitate to pay $150 to have someone clean a house, but my apartment shouldn't take more than a couple hours to clean thoroughly.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I have 3 maids and I don't pay them shit! Those immigrants should feel lucky to even be in this country!

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
    If i need just labor, like a dude to hump bags of cement that's $10hr. I do my own thinking on everything (that'll save you a lot of $$, no mater what you are talking about) but sometimes I need to hire some extra muscles...

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    If i need just labor, like a dude to hump

sometimes I need to hire some extra muscles...

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    I pay my landscaper either 1200 or 1400 a year, I can't remember.

yes, i think i pay my lawncare guy something like that too. so why is the schitt looking 50% shades of brown right about now? i might have to fire the muthaf***er

NO DOUBT

I think our guy has a gambling problem. He called me up the other week asking for 2 months pay in advance with some bullshit story. OOF

We've had the same lady (and sometimes her daughter or sister) clean our house a few times a month since we moved in 4 or 5 years ago.
    Having a house and kids that schitt is
    She charges about $100 a session and she's here all day.
    Other than a few times when she's MIA or late we've had no problems.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I have 3 maids and I don't pay them shit! Those immigrants should feel lucky to even be in this country!

Your family doesn't count dude.